Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil?
Apr 23, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #196 of 226

I'm getting both headphones for a large discount that I won't be able to get later. The Fulla can drive them well enough in the sense of volume. And I intend on getting the Rag and Yggy shortly after, if funds permit.

Volume has absolutely nothing to do with driving a headphone well.  An Ipod can send enough volume through any dynamic headphone to hurt your ears.

Do what you will though.  You've apparently made up your mind.  Hindsight will show you in the future that you went about this backwards.

Also, I hope a list of the HE1000 serial numbers sold at a "substantial" discount is made public even if the price isn't.  That way these people can't just immediately turn around and sell them in the for sale forums for a couple hundred less than the new normal price and line their pocket with undeserved profit.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #197 of 226
  So they've chosen someone with a suboptimal chain to beta their HE1000. Just sounds stupid. Just being honest.

It's not a beta despite how HFM describes it.  They really should have called it an "Early Adopter Opportunity" or something similar as the participants are paying for the headphones with the opportunity for a refund.

Traditional beta tests don't require payment and don't allow the testers to keep the item being evaluated.  At least none of the ones I've participated in or heard of follow that model, including some where the item in beta was worth substantially more than the HE-1000.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #198 of 226
  Volume has absolutely nothing to do with driving a headphone well.  An Ipod can send enough volume through any dynamic headphone to hurt your ears.

Do what you will though.  You've apparently made up your mind.  Hindsight will show you in the future that you went about this backwards.

Also, I hope a list of the HE1000 serial numbers sold at a "substantial" discount is made public even if the price isn't.  That way these people can't just immediately turn around and sell them in the for sale forums for a couple hundred less than the new normal price and line their pocket with undeserved profit.

Well, like I said, I have no problem spending $4K on the Rag and Yggy once I have the cash.

It's not a beta despite how HFM describes it.  They really should have called it an "Early Adopter Opportunity" or something similar as the participants are paying for the headphones with the opportunity for a refund.

Traditional beta tests don't require payment and don't allow the testers to keep the item being evaluated.  At least none of the ones I've participated in or heard of follow that model, including some where the item in beta was worth substantially more than the HE-1000.

It's certainly not a traditional beta. But the deposit is required for security reasons. They're not going to send out something so expensive to strangers on the Internet for free.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #199 of 226

So it's a deposit. I just look at their prospected selective process as suspect. Just my opinion, though.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #200 of 226

Well, like I said, I have no problem spending $4K on the Rag and Yggy once I have the cash.

It's certainly not a traditional beta. But the deposit is required for security reasons. They're not going to send out something so expensive to strangers on the Internet for free.

Then HFM should call it what it is - a Sales and Marketing campaign for early adopters and drop the word beta.

I doubt the beta testers for the Yggdrasil had to make a deposit - one of them can correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #201 of 226
  Then HFM should call it what it is - a Sales and Marketing campaign for early adopters and drop the word beta.

I doubt the beta testers for the Yggdrasil had to make a deposit - one of them can correct me if my assumption is wrong.

The thing is, there were alpha testers for the HE1000 as well, as you may recall from the relevant threads. Those were a select few insiders who had the opportunity to audition it in private -- some for extended periods. Now it is in the beta phase, even if it is not conducted like a normal beta test. The feedback from the beta testers will be used for further development, if necessary.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #203 of 226
I think the Yggy could be a real landmark development for DAC's... I think it's easily one of the most anticipated pieces of gear of the year, along with some very interesting flagship headphones. The headphones are new and exciting as well, but personally, I think the Yggy is actually going to be a game changer. I'm personally very grateful for new flagship headphones myself, as every year we are being absolutely spoiled with new developments. We're able to achieve a level of musical presentation that just wasn't possible the year before. 

What makes the Yggy different is the thought process, the people involved, and the very real possibility that our very capable S-D DACs might have some real sonic flaws... 

I'm sure that I could live in bliss with what I've heard up until now, never hearing a Yggy myself, but I opted to find a vintage R-2R DAC instead. I'll give it a listen, see how it sounds, and then make a decision. The Yggy's price seems like an obscene amount of money, however I really think that Schiit is pricing it modestly, compared to the performance it supposedly offers. I have enough money to buy a Yggy myself, but I just can't personally justify the cost without hearing it. I believe that these are the moments audiophiles live for... hearing the music for what it is, and when it's something that we haven't heard before, that is exciting.

Just rereading this post and it seems to read perhaps overly enthusiastic about the Yggy... I just think my excitement is more in the development and availability of the technology and wisdom that went into this product. Our current <$3000 DAC's are by no means terrible, but there is a possibility that this DAC could be considered an upgrade for many people, regardless of their personal preferences.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #204 of 226
I figure by the time I have enough $$ saved to buy a Yggy, (6 mos), the hype will have calmed down a bit and we'll have heard long term impressions from a good sampling of users. I don't expect that people will drastically change their current opinions but who knows? Or maybe by then Schiit will have another upgrade ready for the Bifrost Uber, although I'm not holding my breath. In any case I'll probably still buy a Yggy, and move the Bifrost to the bedroom or office system.

May 3, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #205 of 226
After hearing yggy I don't believe impressions so far, are hype at all.

Actually I think it is more like an Earth changing jolt,
in an ocean of sigma-delta dacs.
A jolt that makes a wave which will continue into a tidal wave or sunami to overtake ALL dacs...

There was no doubt its sound was superior quality at the NYmeet without ever reaching warmup potential of days or weeK(!)

May 4, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #206 of 226
I did buy the Yggy.  I paid regular FedEx shipping.   FedEx has now failed Friday and today to drop the package at their own FedEx location, creating a 'delivery exception.'  I asked that it go to a FexEx location so that I can pick it up from there on my way home from work.  Agh...I need to stop hitting refresh on FedEx tracking.

Sorry, just annoyed.

Update #1: called UPS.  They have opened a case.  

May 4, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #207 of 226
  I did buy the Yggy.  I paid regular FedEx shipping.   FedEx has now failed Friday and today to drop the package at their own FedEx location, creating a 'delivery exception.'  I asked that it go to a FexEx location so that I can pick it up from there on my way home from work.  Agh...I need to stop hitting refresh on FedEx tracking.

Sorry, just annoyed.

At least you already have your HD 650.
evil_smiley.gif

(Mine should have arrived today, but since it required signature confirmation when it wasn't supposed to, I ended up missing it. Gonna sit outside like an idiot tomorrow so I can make sure to sign for the package, since I'm in a locked building on the third/fourth floor...)

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #209 of 226
I sold my yggy before 2 days , the sound was very clean with some of realism but not in berkeley RD level. If this your first dac you will be so happy . I have Hugo TT and listen to Vega before : Vega so fatiguing for my ears but for those who like a very detail sound the Vega is your choice. On another hand, hugo TT was very smooth,3d soundstge and engaging sound at the same time, I can say yggy stuck in the middle between these two dacs , very clean, detail and very good imaging works very good with my speakers but I have another dac for this job . I honestly rank them all in the same level but they have different presentations . I prefer hugo TT since it has very good amp .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back