Who has VD powercords pulled directly into the wall?
Nov 15, 2002 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I am curious if any of you VD cheerleaders
biggrin.gif
have try putting the VD cables directly into the wall socket.

I am curious because I hear things like the UO soften the sound. I want to know how it sounds compared to "conditioned" power sound.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 36
Having had several pieces of equipment destroyed several years ago by a nasty electrical surge, I always have surge protection in place. Always.

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 36
Markl....are you telling me you saw a large difference btween the SIg and that Nite while using that pconditioner?

I still don't understand these things about VDs logic:

1. "We recommend plugging in directly in the wall." Ummm....how in g*ds name would that be better???? How could the last 6 feet make a difference. A cable contains no active circuitry. Now after the power has been perfected by the power conditioner fancy cables make sense.

There are other things, but I can't remember.

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Ummm....how in g*ds name would that be better???? How could the last 6 feet make a difference. A cable contains no active circuitry. Now after the power has been perfected by the power conditioner fancy cables make sense.

Why would you shell out the $$$ for their cable if you didn't believe in what you stated? Hehehee....

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Markl....are you telling me you saw a large difference btween the SIg and that Nite while using that pconditioner?

I still don't understand these things about VDs logic:

1. "We recommend plugging in directly in the wall." Ummm....how in g*ds name would that be better???? How could the last 6 feet make a difference. A cable contains no active circuitry. Now after the power has been perfected by the power conditioner fancy cables make sense.

There are other things, but I can't remember.

All I can say is that I was a power cable skeptic too initially, I mean how can that last 6 ft. of cable make any difference, it just defies logic. Then I heard them in my system.

If the VD Power 3 cords hadn't been on sale for $50 initially I never would have tried them. I mean for $50 returnable, why not? I couldn't believe my results. This has since cost me a bundle!! So I've put my money where my mouth is. IMO, these guys have "lightning in a bottle".

In fact, I'm such a power cable convert, I've stated in the VD thread that I feel they actually make MORE of a difference than any other tweak I've tried, and that includes fancy IC's, expensive NOS tubes, power conditioners and the like. Check the "consolidated" VD thread for my full thoughts on this.

All I can tell you is that hearing is believing!

Mark

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamslacker
Why would you shell out the $$$ for their cable if you didn't believe in what you stated? Hehehee....

Dreamslacker...I am open to new ideas. However, I do plan on buying a power condisioner.

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Dreamslacker...I am open to new ideas. However, I do plan on buying a power condisioner.

No, no.. What I meant to say was that:

A person who would question:
1) Why should that last 6 feet of cord matter?
2) Why should the cord matter if there is no active circuitry in it?

This person wouldn't even consider paying so much for a power cord to change the sound. Hope you get my drift..
When she/he starts believing in the magic a cord can bring, the person would not ask those questions anymore.

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 36
funny, i thought the best way to know if it made a difference was to actually try it.

silly me.

(note: i have no experience with or interest in VD cords, this is a response to the logic expressed in Dreamslacker's post.)

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 36
I have both of my VD's hooked into a power strip with no conditioning whatsoever!! It's jsut a cheapo power strip from Price Club. If you want I'll plug them directly into a wall socket if I can find one near me, but then again, I don't think it will change much!! The main benefit is hooking them into the system from whatever power source you have. whether they make that last couple of percent of change when directly hooked into the outlet, who know's. From what I've read, via Hirsch, not worth risking the loss of some valuable equipment to eek out that last little bit.

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 36
ServingInEcuador---
For a mere $175 on the web, you can replace that cheap-o power strip with the Monster PB1100 with power conditioning and surge protection. A humble investment compared to the cost of the VD cords you already have.

Damn, as much benefit as you've gotten from your VD cords, that can be easily multiplied by getting a "proper" power conditioner. Home Depot cheapie power strips are "bad", "bad!!!!"

For shame...
frown.gif

Mark

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
ServingInEcuador---
For a mere $175 on the web, you can replace that cheap-o power strip with the Monster PB1100 with power conditioning and surge protection. A humble investment compared to the cost of the VD cords you already have.

Damn, as much benefit as you've gotten from your VD cords, that can be easily multiplied by getting a "proper" power conditioner. Home Depot cheapie power strips are "bad", "bad!!!!"

For shame...
frown.gif

Mark

Thanks for the proper reprimand Mark!!! The only problem is thus: anything I buy has to get packed up into a suitcase and transported to Ecuador for the next year or two. Heavy stuff like power conditioners/filters are way too heavy when you consider we only have 2 pieces of luggage and a carry-on each to bring with us for all that time. Things like my books, headamp, headphones, cdp, and such are taking a much higher priority to something like the PB1100. Although.....I was eyeballing one in Good Guys just a couple of days ago....... Maybe some of the books can stay behind????

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 36
ServinginEcuador,
I can't believe the PB1100 is all that heavy-- maybe 7lbs at the most? Does Ecuador have the same electrical system as the U.S.? In other words, do U.S. components plug in the same to Ecuadorian outlets?

BTW-- I, for one, really appreciate your enthusiasm and positivity. It's always a delight to read your posts. All my best to you. Cheers.

Mark

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 36
Mark,

Yes, thank God Ecuador uses 110/60 power!!!! Makes life much easier when there aren't a bunch of transformers and such to fret about!! And 10lbs is 1/10 the weight of an entire piece of luggage!!! Sounds little, but when we get all our clothes, spices and seasonings, shamppo, deodorant, vitamins, books, camera gear, tubes, cdp, headphones, headphone amp, dishes, utensils, etc, ad nausium, packed away, far too often we run out of room/weight and have to leave stuff for another trip in the future!!! But, there may be some work groups who want to come down and work at some orphanage or something and we might be able to stach a piece of luggage here to be hand carried down to us!!! Maybe there is a PB1100 in my future after all! I guess the only question is: we don't have 3 prong grounded systems, so will I lose all the improvements this PB1100 has to offer since everything is 2 prong? I am comsidering tapping a 6' copper rod thru the laonlord's concrete and running a cable up to the computer room to provide a system to ground all the outlets in that room, including the ones that will power the CDP and headamp.

And thank you for your kind words Mark!! I also thoroughly enjoy reading your thoughts and reviews of the various products out there and value your judgement highly. You seem to strive to be unbiased, objective, and thorough in your analysis of products, and there are many people who have benefited from them. I won't go into how much damage you've also caused to their wallets.......that's for another post!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
funny, i thought the best way to know if it made a difference was to actually try it.

silly me.

(note: i have no experience with or interest in VD cords, this is a response to the logic expressed in Dreamslacker's post.)

carlo....was that an attack on me or dream?

Like I told markl a while a go I HAVE NOTHING THAT USES A POWER CORD.

I would love to try one...I just need a new source....hey, that reminds me.....

Do power cords make more of impact on amps OR sources. If you had to choose between using a fancy cord on source or amp which would it be?

[size=medium]BTW, THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back