Who has an end game setup?
May 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #76 of 834
Quote:
Wallets to the left, common sense to the right, financial ruin in the middle- welcome to headfi
biggrin.gif

LOL, thank you for that post. It's a big refresher.

May 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #77 of 834
Quote:
havent changed my rigs (speakers or headphones) in 9 months, and don't see myself doing so in the foreseeable future.  I'm just so happy with it! 

still gets daily use, but have not felt any need to change it up :) 

Quad ESL 2805's, SR-009 are all a man needs to complement a dram of Balvenie

sr009 bhse davry dac. A wallet trembling combination. I would pay money to listen to that lot......

May 27, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #78 of 834
Quote:
sr009 bhse davry dac. A wallet trembling combination. I would pay money to listen to that lot......

how much will you pay to listen to mine?  J/K :)

May 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #79 of 834
If my financial controller mysteriously assigned an overseas project for 6 months I might re-post in 12 months time with a electrostats setup as my end game :p I will probably live like a beggar for those 6 months.

On Audio-GD Ref10.32 + HD800 for exactly 6 months, and I got this amp because my previous sound card was damaged. My listening preference has been fixed since day one, this rig gives me the signature I want (close enough). I will probably never switch for a long time, unless...

May 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #80 of 834
Hopefully when my Blue Hawaii amp comes in, I won't have to think about getting another amp/headphone combination for a long time, that's one of the reasons I decided to get it. Now I really need to upgrade my sources...

May 27, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #82 of 834
The horizon is in sight but I'm not quite there yet.

May 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #83 of 834
Haven't changed the speaker rig in years (Quad ESL 57) and don't really have a desire to.  Haven't really upgraded my headphone setup much in over a year.  I've only really bought some older stuff just to listen to every now and then.  The last new headphone I bought was the SR-009 I think.

May 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #84 of 834
End game.  There's an end to this madness?  
eek.gif

At one point I had a W4S DAC-2 > Decware Taboo > HE-500/LCD-2 + Blumenstein speakers.  Nice set up for a small room and headphone usage.  But then I wanted to try higher end portable rigs and now I'm back to a full size headphone rig.  Looking back I probably could have stopped at DAC-2/Taboo/Orthos and been happy for years, esp. now that W4S has added USB upgrade to their DACs.  However, you never know what you had until you try something new.  The journey has been fun.  After trying enough stuff the positive result is that I know what I like and can now put together an end game rig.  The Stax lineup is probably expensive enough that I don't consider it.  Would have to give up other hobbies as well to fund a Stax rig.  Maybe a Stax treat 30 years from now when I can start to think about retirement.  An end game rig to welcome retirement.  

May 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #85 of 834
Ever since I got the Hifiman-HE400, together with the rest of the equipment in my profile, and some top quality (Hi-Res) source files, I'm hearing just about the best, and in my opinion nearest to live music, that I've ever heard from a Hi-Fi system.  As such I can't see myself replaceing anything in my home rig, unless something breaks of course, for some concievable time.  However, I now want to bring my portable gear up to standard, and that's where my monety will now be going
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #86 of 834
Quote:
Here at Head-Fi the situation is this:-

For every two people giving an opinion, you get three opinions.

Don't expect a concensus.

Find some who have the same tastes and hearing acuity as yourself and you may get a valid opinion.

Hi Wink, yep I agree on that , it's all part of the fun. I was just wondering out of interest, particularly in relation to headphones , and in relation to the high end forum, whether there was anyone that considered they had a sound that was so good there was no point in looking any further. None yet.....

My post was in reply to the above BTW.

May 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #89 of 834
Quote:

Hi Wink, yep I agree on that , it's all part of the fun. I was just wondering out of interest, particularly in relation to headphones , and in relation to the high end forum, whether there was anyone that considered they had a sound that was so good there was no point in looking any further. None yet.....

My post was in reply to the above BTW.

Sadly, the longer you are on head-fi the more you will want to upgrade... Although, I'm addicted to change as much as upgrading. Even when I'm totally happy with my set up.. after a couple of months I start itching 
size]

Toooon Arrrmaayyy! (that was a private joke to griff2 who is from my neck of the woods :wink: 

May 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #90 of 834
Head-fi got me started in the audiophile hobby 11 years ago! As years passed I transitioned to a 2ch speaker setup. I still haven't settled down with all the upgrades, frustrating side-grades, and accidental down-grades. I've had my current amp & preamp combo for over 3 years now; that's my record in the amplification category. The prior turntable had lasted 6 years (a personal-best for any audio component), but I just upgraded in April. Choice of cartridge has lasted 2.5 years. Prior speakers had lasted over 3 years, but then last fall I upgraded 2 models up in the same line (I'm absolutely sold on this line of speakers; in that sense I'm "done"). The phono-stage situation is still a mess; don't ask!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back