Who has a digital source capable of outputting frequencies above 22050
May 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nick_charles

Headphoneus Supremus
===============
EDIT Digital Only Please
===============

Just out of curiosity. This is just a yes /no question.

Whose systems will ***output*** musical frequencies above 22050Hz

Bear in mind a bog standard redbook CD player cannot output anything substantive above 22050 since there is nothing musical above 22050 on the CD itself, leaving out bizarre CD/HDCD/XRCD hybrids.

So who uses SACD, DVD-A or high res downloads and who uses traditional 16/44.1

May 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 23
I own both SACD and DVD-A sources but use neither with my headphones. I mostly use vinyl and a "Redbook" DAC for that setup.

May 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play SACDs frequently and (I think) vinyl goes higher, as well.

Good point : Correction made - thanks
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 23
yes, vinyl is 24/192 ( 24bit / 192Khz ), and SACD is 24/96 ( 24bit / 96Khz ). And for the record, 16/44 digital files are just that 16/44. a large number of people migrated from cd player to desktop playback years ago, and those 16/44 cd's do playback at 16/44 everywhere other than "bog standard" cd players.

May 10, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 23
I have an SACD player and my DAC will accept HDCD input (if I had any) as well as being able to have its internal filters switched off.

May 10, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 23
Above.

May 10, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 23
Above, I think.
At least I have several high-resolution (24-bit/96kHz) files, which play back smoothly.

May 10, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Above, I think.
At least I have several high-resolution (24-bit/96kHz) files, which play back smoothly.

^^^Ditto.

May 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 23
My computer can output up to 24/192 resolution, i have some hi res digital files : 24/96 vinyl rips, for example i'm now listening to Jethro Tull - "Aqualung" , i don't have the cd version to compare with, but it sounds just spectacular. However it does not really contain many over 22khz information analyzing the spectrograms, this may be due to a poor frequency reponse by my cartridge, but it might as well be the recording, in fact i just checked a song from Tarkus and it goes up to 30+ Khz.

May 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, vinyl is 24/192 ( 24bit / 192Khz ), and SACD is 24/96 ( 24bit / 96Khz ). And for the record, 16/44 digital files are just that 16/44. a large number of people migrated from cd player to desktop playback years ago, and those 16/44 cd's do playback at 16/44 everywhere other than "bog standard" cd players.

Actually you are quite wrong about vinyl, vinyl is not 24/192 or anything like it. If you are going to quantify vinyl in information science terms you need to understand information theory.

While vinyl can contain frequencies above 22khz, it does not have 24 bit resolution since the maximum dynamic range of pristine vinyl is no more than about 80db, this is about 13 bits and way below the 144db that 24 bits gives you.

I would also really like to see any evidence of any *LP* that actually really has non noise frequencies above 50K let alone stretching to 96khz. I do not think a cartridge could track anything with such high frequencies (96khz) could it ?

Also you are wrong about SACD. SACD unlike CD is not PCM it is DSD which uses single bit and ~2.28mhz sampling so it is not quantified in quite the same way and in fact tops out at ~120db dynamic range this would be in fact equivalent to approximately 20 bits.

May 10, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but it might as well be the recording, in fact i just checked a song from Tarkus and it goes up to 30+ Khz.

Synths probably. When the AES chaps were testing low pass filters in the late 70s they used music with lots of synthesizers in it to get substantial amounts of the really high frequencies they wanted.

May 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an SACD player and my DAC will accept HDCD input (if I had any) as well as being able to have its internal filters switched off.

Sorry I should not have mentioned HDCD, that was a mistake on my part, HDCD does not extend frequency range just dynamic range,.

May 11, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you are quite wrong about vinyl, vinyl is not 24/192 or anything like it. If you are going to quantify vinyl in information science terms you need to understand information theory.

While vinyl can contain frequencies above 22khz, it does not have 24 bit resolution since the maximum dynamic range of pristine vinyl is no more than about 80db, this is about 13 bits and way below the 144db that 24 bits gives you.

I would also really like to see any evidence of any *LP* that actually really has non noise frequencies above 50K let alone stretching to 96khz. I do not think a cartridge could track anything with such high frequencies (96khz) could it ?

Also you are wrong about SACD. SACD unlike CD is not PCM it is DSD which uses single bit and ~2.28mhz sampling so it is not quantified in quite the same way and in fact tops out at ~120db dynamic range this would be in fact equivalent to approximately 20 bits.

hehe. I was going to type a similar reply but I was just so bewildered by that poster's statements I thought I would just leave it alone and just roll my eyes for a bit

Anyway, I used to think the high frequencies on vinyl were "real", but now I think it is just noise or harmonic distortion.

If we take Bernie Grundman's simultaneous remasterings of those old Everest recordings for example (he simultaneously remastered the 35mm film to vinyl, 24-192 and 16-44), there ain't anything whatsoever on the 24-192 versions above around 22 - 25 khz maximum. But vinyl goes up to the high 30 Khz. Since 192 Khz sampling can easily capture ultra high frequencies, that was enough to convince me that the high frequencies on vinyl don't actually exist in the source material.

And then there are the modern recordings made by TACET usig vintage analogue equipment and mastered to both vinyl and high res digital. There is absolutely nothing on those beyond 20 Khz. Nothing whatsoever, whether it be the vinyl or CD version.

Plus none of those high res Linn / Pentatone / whatever downloads have anything much beyond 20 khz either.

Sure, I can believe there is real stuff on great analogue master tapes and high res digital to around 25 khz, but at that point, the tape machines and microphones are completely stuffed
normal_smile .gif

But I stand to be corrected. If anyone has any evidence of a natural acoustic musical instrument producing tones above 25 Khz that are also clearly captured in a spectrogram in a modern high resolution digital recording, then I am genuinely interested to see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back