Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Feb 12, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #451 of 1,413
I've had someone offer me a bottle of High West Midwinter Nights for a bottle of Four Roses 2014 Small Batch collection.  He's offered to toss in a few samples of other rare items as well to even it out a bit.

Thoughts on value?  how much I should push on the samples of other bourbons/rye's?

Need to give him an answer today so let me know!!!

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #452 of 1,413
i've went the majority of my adult life not enjoying whiskey at all. all my friends were gung-ho about it like 7 years ago. they kept insisting that makers mark, bushmills, jameson, etc were gods gift on earth. i hated all of it. a recent combination of my coworker rambling and several episodes of parks and recreation got me to considering trying whiskey again. i did some research and saw that a company named compass box was offering some delicious sounding blended scotches. i instantly went out and bought a bottle of orangerie. thats the best whiskey ive ever had. if you've never tried it and want something to get your feet wet, orangerie will solve all your problems. it might not be exactly what u want or need, but it may just be the stepping stone you need into the wonderful world of whiskey.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #453 of 1,413
  i've went the majority of my adult life not enjoying whiskey at all. all my friends were gung-ho about it like 7 years ago. they kept insisting that makers mark, bushmills, jameson, etc were gods gift on earth. i hated all of it. a recent combination of my coworker rambling and several episodes of parks and recreation got me to considering trying whiskey again. i did some research and saw that a company named compass box was offering some delicious sounding blended scotches. i instantly went out and bought a bottle of orangerie. thats the best whiskey ive ever had. if you've never tried it and want something to get your feet wet, orangerie will solve all your problems. it might not be exactly what u want or need, but it may just be the stepping stone you need into the wonderful world of whiskey.

Compass Box have some great whisky blends.  Some notable ones are Peat Monster 10th Anniversary Edition and The General.  The King St. one is also pretty decent for the price.  I haven't tried the Orangerie, but it has been on my wish list for a while now.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #454 of 1,413

Compass Box have some great whisky blends.  Some notable ones are Peat Monster 10th Anniversary Edition and The General.  The King St. one is also pretty decent for the price.  I haven't tried the Orangerie, but it has been on my wish list for a while now.

I'll second the Peat Monster...

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #455 of 1,413
Subbed

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #456 of 1,413
560 Thread transfer, subbed :astonished:, on to Islays!!!

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #457 of 1,413
I've had someone offer me a bottle of High West Midwinter Nights for a bottle of Four Roses 2014 Small Batch collection.  He's offered to toss in a few samples of other rare items as well to even it out a bit.

Thoughts on value?  how much I should push on the samples of other bourbons/rye's?

Need to give him an answer today so let me know!!!

I can't believe I missed this post!

Both retail for around the same price. The Mid Winter is quite nice, but not mind-blowing. We were only allowed 2 bottles for the Four Roses Limited 2014 Small Batch. Four Roses will no longer be offering limited releases in the future, or at least until the whisk(e)y market growth stabilizes. Where as the Winter Dram is sourced from MGPi juice, so you have to justify that if you're a purist.

I'd rather keep the Four Roses for collection purposes only, or guzzle the Mid Winter Nights Dram. Tough call, as I collect tons of whisk(e)y for drinking, but the only tradng is for 3 Scotches: Ardbeg Alligator, Ardbeg Galileo, and Bruichladdich Octomore.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #458 of 1,413
Okay, Buffalo Trace... the cognoscienti may or may not snigger, but this was discounted in the supermarket this afternoon, so this is my first bourbon, so go easy.

On the schnozzle, sweet and caramel-smelling. Pleasant, but a little bland to taste - I don't know if I'll buy another bottle of this particular whiskey. Not bad, but lacking something.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #459 of 1,413
i tried buffalo trace cuz my gf said her friends drink it. i thought it was meh. im no frou frou whiskey drinker though, im just starting out too. they seem to have won a good deal of awards though, so maybe, just possibly, i have no idea what im talking about.. lol.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #460 of 1,413
I've been on the search for a good, cheaper bourbon for regular drinking (like one-a-day sipping). I would love to stick to Woodford Reserve, but $38 a bottle can get expensive quickly.

Buffalo Trace: meh
Jim Beam: meh
Maker's Mark: good, but the price seems awfully inflated
Four Roses Small Batch: excellent, but $30/bottle, so not much better than the Woodford price

I might just end up switching to something else for "daily" drinks, but it would be really nice to have a cheap go-to bourbon.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #461 of 1,413
Buffalo Trace is possibly the most underrated gem in all of the whisk(e)y categories.  Often overlooked because it's not the Weller/Pappy mashbill, but this Bourbon is the namesake of where "all the magic happens".  The distillery itself is one of the most unique in the industry since they systematically experimenting to figure out how to demystify all the aspects of the aging process.

Buffalo Trace Bourbon is 9.5 years old with a 51% Corn/ 24.5% Malted Barley / 24.5% Malted Rye mashbill.  Translated, this is one expensive as hell Bourbon to produce.  But they charge almost nothing for it.  By comparison, you can get Bakers or Knob Creek that are generally more expensive, but lower quality.  As a sipper, it's a treat, though Buffalo Trace really shines in cocktails.  It will make one fine Old Fashioned or Manhattan if you complement it with quality ingredients.

Drink enough of the super rare and elusive Bourbons, and you will eventually land back on Buffalo Trace and Weller.  Certainly there are other, but too few are pound for pound this quality.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #463 of 1,413
Finished the Buffalo Trace. It grew on me a bit, after getting used to the sweetness. Not a bad introduction to Bourbon.

However, I have just bought a bottle of Clynelish 14 year old, which is as good as I remember it. Rich, a touch of smoke that almost gives it an Islay-ish feel, but very much its own thing. £35 from Waitrose, if any UK readers are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back