Which tube amplifier pairs really well with the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro??
Nov 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 36
  Yes i will be listening solely on my PC. I got an ASUS Maximus V Formula with great on-board audio. The audio segment is separated from the rest of the motherboard, which prevents electrical interference and hence, better reduction in noise, etc..

EDIT: i should mention that my on-board audio, however, just can't push these headphones at all :frowning2:

The headphone amplifier chip used in the Maximus V Formula (Ti 6120A2) is the same one used in my Essence STX and it can drive 600-Ohm headphones. So i'm surprised it's not doing a good job driving 250-Ohm headphones.
Looks like the audio processor is a Realtek.
Might try updating to the latest drivers.
Maybe check your BIOS setting.
Is there a gains setting for the headphone amplifier?

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 36

The headphone amplifier chip used in the Maximus V Formula (Ti 6120A2) is the same one used in my Essence STX and it can drive 600-Ohm headphones. So i'm surprised it's not doing a good job driving 250-Ohm headphones.
Looks like the audio processor is a Realtek.
Might try updating to the latest drivers.
Maybe check your BIOS setting.
Is there a gains setting for the headphone amplifier?

My FiiO E07K is louder on vol 55 than the on-board audio on vol 100, and there is not enough clarity. However, with the E07K, the Beyers sound a bit thin, can sometime hear distortion on some tracks, and i do think that these headphones are more than that. that's why i wanted to consider tube dac/amps. But if you have a really good ss amp under $250 on your mind, i might reconsider.

My only goal here is: full bodied bass, tamed highs and bring the mids a bit forward.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #18 of 36
  My FiiO E07K is louder on vol 55 than the on-board audio on vol 100, and there is not enough clarity. However, with the E07K, the Beyers sound a bit thin, can sometime hear distortion on some tracks, and i do think that these headphones are more than that. that's why i wanted to consider tube dac/amps. But if you have a really good ss amp under $250 on your mind, i might reconsider.

My only goal here is: full bodied bass, tamed highs and bring the mids a bit forward.

A Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99, can drive the 250-Ohm headphones.

The Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 plus ($209), DAC and Amp, can connect to the computer using optical for gaming and USB for music.

Asus Xonar Essence STX or ST sound card, can drive headphone up to 600-Ohm and comes with a nice DAC chip,
used ones sell for as low as $120

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #19 of 36

A Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99, can drive the 250-Ohm headphones.

The Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 plus ($209), DAC and Amp, can connect to the computer using optical for gaming and USB for music.

Asus Xonar Essence STX or ST sound card, can drive headphone up to 600-Ohm and comes with a nice DAC chip,
used ones sell for as low as $120

Good. I'm seriously considering the Magni/Modi combo stack or the Maverick Audio (i prefer external setups :wink: ). Read great reviews about both. If i get the correct voltage requirements for the Magni, will probably buy it and never look back. Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions :D Cheers.

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #20 of 36
  Good. I'm seriously considering the Magni/Modi combo stack or the Maverick Audio (i prefer external setups :wink: ). Read great reviews about both. If i get the correct voltage requirements for the Magni, will probably buy it and never look back. Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions :D Cheers.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN_Specs.htm

There is also that. It MIGHT max out your budget but I REALLY like my Audio GD amp with my DT 880. For a solid state, it does a very nice job warming up the Beyers and keeping all those loveley details! Might be able to steal on used from the FS thread here at head fi, I think It would run you about $280 with shipping [but dude it's like 3 day shipping from CHINA :O for $50 totally worth it imo]

That said if you can STRECH for the Audio GD amp I think you will very much enjoy it! That and it's got enough power to drive really anything shy of an HE 6 and Elctro Stats! Either way, a great starter amp  imo! Oh and it's a dac to. So you could certianly start with this unit then purchase a Hybrid Tube like the Schiit Modi in the future! 

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #21 of 36
  http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN_Specs.htm

There is also that. It MIGHT max out your budget but I REALLY like my Audio GD amp with my DT 880. For a solid state, it does a very nice job warming up the Beyers and keeping all those loveley details! Might be able to steal on used from the FS thread here at head fi, I think It would run you about $280 with shipping [but dude it's like 3 day shipping from CHINA :O for $50 totally worth it imo]

That said if you can STRECH for the Audio GD amp I think you will very much enjoy it! That and it's got enough power to drive really anything shy of an HE 6 and Elctro Stats! Either way, a great starter amp  imo! Oh and it's a dac to. So you could certianly start with this unit then purchase a Hybrid Tube like the Schiit Modi in the future! 

Hey man. Is it that good with the DT990 Pros? From all the readings i've done, the Schiit Valhalla is seriously starting to come to my attention. Might as well stretch my budget upto $350 :wink: Do you have any experience with that one?

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #22 of 36
  Hey man. Is it that good with the DT990 Pros? From all the readings i've done, the Schiit Valhalla is seriously starting to come to my attention. Might as well stretch my budget upto $350 :wink: Do you have any experience with that one?

I do not, but I've heard a lot of positive with the Valhalla [you already have a Dac correct?] Needless to say though, the Valhall might be a good option actually. It should match nice with the DT 990 Pro in terms of power, and apprently it's "solid state" for a tube sound is nice for keeping things tight. I think Schiit has a return policy, you ought to give it a shot! 

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #23 of 36
  I do not, but I've heard a lot of positive with the Valhalla [you already have a Dac correct?] Needless to say though, the Valhall might be a good option actually. It should match nice with the DT 990 Pro in terms of power, and apprently it's "solid state" for a tube sound is nice for keeping things tight. I think Schiit has a return policy, you ought to give it a shot! 

Thanks for the tip. Actually, i do own the FiiO E07K, but i don't think i can hook up the Valhalla to it, can i (sorry, still a noob :S)? Anyway, if i can't, i'll use my on-board DAC on my pc.. it's pretty decent..

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #24 of 36
  Thanks for the tip. Actually, i do own the FiiO E07K, but i don't think i can hook up the Valhalla to it, can i (sorry, still a noob :S)? Anyway, if i can't, i'll use my on-board DAC on my pc.. it's pretty decent..

I do own E17, it is not possible to take output dac alone from E17 (I guess, this is also applicable to E 07K). Are you only considering tube amps? it seems like tube amps can drain your wallet because of replacement of tubes! Many people try different tubes to find the preferred sound quality!

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #25 of 36

Are you only considering tube amps? it seems like tube amps can drain your wallet because of replacement of tubes! Many people try different tubes to find the preferred sound quality!

Yes, because a lot of people say that tube amps are the way to go with DT990 Pro. And many say that the stock tubes on the Valhalla are great with these headphones :wink:

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #26 of 36

Yes, because a lot of people say that tube amps are the way to go with DT990 Pro. And many say that the stock tubes on the Valhalla are great with these headphones :wink:

Indeed, and you don't roll tubes into the Valhalla. Schiit released it with what they felt was the ideal Tube. Rolling is well pointless with a Valhalla. If you want to get into the joy of tube grab a Lyr or a one of the many other hybrids! 

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #27 of 36

it seems like tube amps can drain your wallet because of replacement of tubes! Many people try different tubes to find the preferred sound quality!

Depending on the amp, tubes might be very cheap. Tubes for Little Dot amps can be had for ~$10. But... there's no real need to go tube rolling. It's just for fun. I was a believer in tube rolling into one day, when I thought I had some supposedly bright tubes in my amp. I thought I was hearing a bright sound, but then I looked and I actually had some supposedly warm tubes in my amp. Now I'm not sure if there's any real difference. So you can just save your money and stick to the stock tubes, they are usually good enough. 

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #28 of 36

Depending on the amp, tubes might be very cheap. Tubes for Little Dot amps can be had for ~$10. But... there's no real need to go tube rolling. It's just for fun. I was a believer in tube rolling into one day, when I thought I had some supposedly bright tubes in my amp. I thought I was hearing a bright sound, but then I looked and I actually had some supposedly warm tubes in my amp. Now I'm not sure if there's any real difference. So you can just save your money and stick to the stock tubes, they are usually good enough. 

Yeah i will definitely need to save up for the Valhalla. Shipping is gonna cost quite a lot too :/ But i'm sure will be investing into something worth every hard earned penny :)

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 36

See and I disagree, I found a differance in the tubes when I had them. The same applied for OP amps that I rolled into my M Stage.

Either way teh best thing about the Valhalla is you don't need to roll tubes into to it 

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 36
  Either way teh best thing about the Valhalla is you don't need to roll tubes into to it 

Exactly the type of amp i'm looking for. I don't wana have to worry about rolling tubes. I just want a nice tube amp which does the job correctly :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back