which custom for me?!
Aug 1, 2011 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

David58117

100+ Head-Fier
Lets say budget is about $1500, that my favorite iem/headphone being ER4S and akg k701, and that i definitely do not like bass monsters or too warm a presentation (ive had the miles davis tributes, and wasnt much of a fan of them).  I listen generally to classical and jazz.  

Most important qualities for me are:

1.  Accurate timbre.  Im a musician, i want to hear instruments as i know them to be.  One of my reference cds has a jazz drum solo and i love the way the k701s perform them.  there are light taps on the bass drum, intricate stick work on the drums, and cymbals being played left and right.  the k701s take you right next to the kit and the timbre is dead on, with everything defined.    

2.  Neutral sound signature.  Self explanatory, no bass monsters or mid/treble focused.  i have the turbines and miles davis tributes for fun and genres requiring a strong bass response so i am not looking for anything else.  I like the etys, but a tad bit more bass would be ideal.  

3.  Analytical.  When i listen to music i generally listen to how its put together.  i  love good instrument separation.  when im listening to Mahler i want to clearly hear the cellos against the violas and be able to zoom in on particular sections.  i love transcribing music and listening following a music score as well.  

4.  Fullness of body to instruments.  The ER4s have a way of sounding thin, especially noticeable after listening to them after my fullsized K701s.  It doesn't entirely do justice to string quartets where passages suddenly become loud as the musicians are tearing into the strings of their instruments.  There's a body, a fullness to the instruments that the Etys lack - I'm after an IEM that presents the weight of the instrument as well as an accurate timbre, something that gives the impression the instruments are in the room with you.  

Im assuming things like dynamics, speed, soundstage, clarity would be top notch in customes as well.  Isolation isnt a concern, and leakage might be a minor annoyance but not a deal breaker.  Good build quality and a company that stands behind their products is a huge plus (God i love etymotic)!

So what customs should i be looking at?  

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 10
In my experience I would say the Starkey SA-43 or Spiral Ear SE 5-way.  Where are you located?

Both excel at different things, with the SE 5-way having incredible resolution and I can hear things I have never heard before in my music.  The SA-43 has switches that allow you to change the amount of bass and midrange presence to go with a very spacious presentation.  Both are extremely transparent and the presentation is done right.  You can see all my customs, evaluations, and reviews here.

However, neither is an Etymotic.  Meaning both have much more sustained notes and make the ER4S I am borrowing sound thin and cold not to mention the presentation sounds very poor in comparison with both mentioned custom IEMs.  Feel free to ask additional questions in my thread.

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 10
The Westone ES5(clean, detailed, amazing mids, highs n bass), JH13Pro(neutral, extremely detailed, no frequency bump, insturment sound so natural) are the finest custom IEMs.

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 10
From talking with joker, I think the Miracle is somewhere between the SE 5-way and SA-43 in terms of presentation.  And while I don't doubt the ES5 is a fine custom IEM, I have strong reservations of calling it the finest, and I have the JH16, the enhanced bass version of the JH13 and while the midrange is very neutral my recommendation stands (even if the JH13 bass is flat).

No one knows how all of these compare, however joker will have a demo Miracle he can compare to his custom Miracle and I will be getting that demo Miracle so I should have a very good idea of where it really falls.  Actually the UE IERM might be something else to look into as my reading indicates that is on the leaner side, closer to your ER4S.

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 10
im in the US (midwest).  When you say "lean" - i think the etys have a way of sounding thin at times, especially noticeable after listening to my fullsized k701s.  It doesnt entirely do justice to shosty string quartets where the dynamics suddenly get loud and intense and the musicians are tearing into their strings.  I want to feel the body of the instrument more, like its in the room with me.  If theres an iem that presents a true to life timbre while portraying a fullness of body to organic instruments - I would be in heaven!

Based on everything i read prior to this post i was considering the jh13, but i wasnt aware of the alternatives.  Ill have a look at your review page again average and read up on your recommendations.  My main concern right now is if those have a more accurate timbre than the jh13 as well as a more fullness to the body of instruments.  In fact i might go back and add fullness of body to my origional post as thats another biggie for me.  

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
im in the US (midwest).  When you say "lean" - i think the etys have a way of sounding thin at times, especially noticeable after listening to my fullsized k701s.  It doesnt entirely do justice to shosty string quartets where the dynamics suddenly get loud and intense and the musicians are tearing into their strings.  I want to feel the body of the instrument more, like its in the room with me.  If theres an iem that presents a true to life timbre while portraying a fullness of body to organic instruments - I would be in heaven!

Based on everything i read prior to this post i was considering the jh13, but i wasnt aware of the alternatives.  Ill have a look at your review page again average and read up on your recommendations.  My main concern right now is if those have a more accurate timbre than the jh13 as well as a more fullness to the body of instruments.  In fact i might go back and add fullness of body to my origional post as thats another biggie for me.  

The mids n highs on ES5 are amazing, different instruments feels so real (true to life timbre while portraying a fullness of body to organic instruments).

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 10
To the OP, get the UE In-Ear Reference Monitors... They're probably the most accurate ( in terms of a technical standpoint ) and analytic top tier customs IEM's. I'll also recommend the Westone ES5. They aren't neutral, but are well balanced. They sound so natural they quickly make you forget you're listening to IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back