Which Closed Cans?
Oct 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gitbags

100+ Head-Fier
As you can tell from my post rate I am a more of a lurker than poster, but I was hoping you guys could give me some advice.
I have just recently connected a headphone amp to my speaker systems pre amp and am now looking for a pair of closed cans with good isolation.
Reason for Closed backs? My main system is located in my living room, along side the tv. This means open backed headphones aren't really suitable for evening listening when the other half wants to watch eastenders. So I need help. I've been thinking about denon's d5000/d2000, which I remember being very popular some years back and the usual beyers. But I was wondering if there was anything else I should be considering.

My main tastes in music are metal/rock and classical. But I'll pretty much listen to anything if the mood takes me. So the suggested headphones need to be good all rounders. Finally the budget..... I'm not looking to spend much more than £400. If it helps with recommendations the set up they'll be running from is: Rega Apollo > Graham Slee solo (2004 non green/srg)

Cheers

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 4
 You probably won't find great isolation our of the Denons, I would say probably go for the DT880 pro, they have more clamp?

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 4
D7000 aren't bad with Jmoney pads.  They can be had for about $600 from companies like J&R or Electronics Expo.  Okay isolation but they leak sound, which would disturb the others from watching their British soaps.
 JVC DX1000 is another that can be had for $600 used.  I've tried every high end closed can except for the L3000, and I'd say the thunderpants that I auditioned (and now have on order) were my favorites.  If you DIY them they will go for significantly less then the other phones mentioned.  If you prefer to buy prefabricated, Smeggy is the one to buy some from.  With a pad upgrade they would run about $600.  Bless the queen and the Beatles and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back