Which bookshelf speakers sound like Grado RS1/2?
Dec 19, 2005 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nabwong

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I'm in college and looking for bookshelf speakers for my living room. It's a 1 bedroom apartment, so it's not big. Anyway, i have the RS2 and love it. I wonder which speakers about $200 sound or less (hopefully) sound like them. I'm thinking of buying an integrated amp also.

Nab

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 18
Probably none in your pricerange. I have a pair of Swan M200 (monitors) that sound fairly reminiscent to the RS-1 with a little EQ, but there is still a large gap between them. Closest I've heard in your pricerange would be a Klipsch bookshelf system. Good luck, and I'll be watching this thread for recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 18
I really enjoy my Wharfedale Crystal 20s, and they are under 100, are bookshelf speakers, and have the bass. And I'm a Grado lover. But no, they don't sound like RS-1s. More like K501s with more bass. Is that a K701 then?
icon10.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
bose

I don't know if that was ment as a joke,and while I am not a big fan of Bose in general, their little 301 sounds pretty good!

Dec 19, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 18
Dec 19, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 18
As close as you will get would be a full range driver system with no bass boost (most bokkshelf speakers have a hump at 100hz) and a sensitivity rating in the 96-100dB SPL/1W/1M range (tall order).
It is the dynamic response match you want more than tonal response matching which is down the list of importance since THAT can be adjusted but you can not fake dynamics

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

I'm also thinking if i should up my budget and get a b&w 602 or magnepan mmg

You ARE kidding right ?

The Magnepans are about the least efficient speakers known to man and the B&W line not too far behind so you need monster amps just to get them moving air and that leaves very little power left over for the dynamic peaks (called headroom)

And that is the point totally.Grados are about the most efficient headphones on the planet and THAT is why they sound like they do.It is not tone but dynamic respose that sets them apart.The ability to respond to the tiniest signal FAST and still have resreves left over for the dynamic peaks because so little power is needed to get them going even though they will HANDLE much higher power.

Better to say "what are good speakers" when naming the above choices which have zero to do with "what speakers sound like the RS-1".

you can EQ for tone and make pretty much any speaker sound like any other but either you do have or you do not have dynamics and that can not be added later.

You want Grado RS-1 in a floorstander ? Klipsh Heritage Series.Not the new ones but 1970's-1980's models and a tube amp.At lower absolute volume levels go with Dahlquist DQM-9's or Polk Audio Monitor 10's (both 1980s) and 40W Class-A solid state

Edit-toss vintage Tannoys in there too along with a couple of vintage JBL studio monitors

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 18
You might want to check out the JM labs Chorus Series. they are fairly dynamic and have a tonal reponse similar to Grados. They aren't under $200 like you said in your original post but both the 706 and 705 are cheaper than the magnepan mmg you asked about. If you search around you might be able to find a used 705 for $200.

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
You ARE kidding right ?

Better to say "what are good speakers" when naming the above choices which have zero to do with "what speakers sound like the RS-1".

No, i'm wasn't kidding because i have limited experience with speakers. I thank you for your reply. It's really helpful. However, i'm still a newbie with speakers and everyone does start from zero right? So i really don't know the "right" thing to say.

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 18
i just bought a pair of sony ssmf55oh floorstanding speakers for $150
and while i do not know anything about good speakers these sonys sound very simmilar to my grado sr80's (out of a 100 watt per channel kenwood reciever with bass boost)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back