WHICH bitrate is better?
Mar 8, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #31 of 33
I haven't had much time lately with school, but mtillman has an interesting "Return of Codec's" test with a spliced recording. Haven't sat down and gone through IDing the different sections but I can easily hear most transitions, but what I found amusing is that some selections which I considered clearly Mp3'd presented the cymbals in that selection with less stridency in an almost euphonic and pleasurable distortion.

I don't like the r3mix settings which are outdated...just go with the standard presets. Also I don't find extreme settings to be so much better than just standard. Lame VBR standard preset is my favorite compromise that isn't so far from 320kb CBR. IMO there is a larger gap between 320kb CBR and CD quality than there is between standard preset ~192 VBR and extreme 320kb CBR.

Mar 10, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #32 of 33
i use a modified R3mix setting:

--nspsytune --vbr-mtrh -V1 -mj -h -B256 --lowpass 19.5 --athtype 3 --ns-sfb21 2 -Z --scale 0.98 -X0

i set the max at 256kbs which is about cd quality i think, and took out the 96kbs min for silence parts in cds, and some stuff like that. i am considering trying V2 for quality...

any thoughts?

i used to use WMA VBR but its still not on par with the lame vbr i think... and most players dont support it.

Mar 10, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #33 of 33
If you read carefully past the propaganda on r3mix about mp3 perfection, you'd realize that his settings are out of date and have been improved on for awhile. In fact the "standard" settings are meticulously crafted by a large group of developers and ears, instead of just one really loud mouth IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back