Which are you, Electronics geek? Music Lover? Mix of both?
May 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 39
All music right now for me. Upgrading has really been more due to frustrations with sonic performance than wanting shiny new toys. The toys are fun for a while but they're here to serve a purpose, and if they're not doing that to my standards (which are pretty high) then they need to go. Hence the massive stash and lots of frustration buys.

Ever since the O2 arrived I've just been lying back listening to music. Don't care to rate/evaluate sound, etc. There really isn't anything that it's doing wrong, and it's transparent enough to let go and let the music flow. So, the gear doesn't really matter that much and the music is free. On the portable front, the ES2 has been doing that for years now.

But, it sure took a lot to get there.

I'm still not fully happy so there will be changes to the signal path (though the O2 is here to stay). But, it's still out of sonic necessity, or rather inability to live with imperfection, at the service of the music.

May 21, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 39
I think alot of people are afraid to admit they are electronics geeks over music lovers ehehe.

I can see that...you really need to weight out how you think of the hobby...and even if its just the slightest difference on one side you should vote honestly =)

For me, it started with PC's (building, heavy overclocking, tweaking), PC grew into electronics (cell phones, PCs, home audio, TV, gadgets), being a PC nerd (/Flex) meant sitting on your ass for hours and hours at a time. I just ripped all my music to my PC (back then i ripped to MP3, i didnt know back then, i was 16) and played it while i geeked out.

So music was always a big part of my life...i played percussion (Drums) in middle and high school, marching band etc etc. I was a huge huge fan of Neil Peart and even Phil Collins (As a drummer). So when i thought about it more and more it was a dead even tie for me...i couldnt work on puters or geek out without music and its really boring to have just a simple electronics setup for your music, i had to mix my love for electronics with my love for music.

May 21, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, and then watch out for that balanced B22!!!
wink.gif

How is the B22 for low-impendance cans like Grados (both the SR, RS and the GS-1000) and the new Denons? I will DIY because I want the most music quality for my money ... if indeed DIY is what provides the best quality/$$$ ratio.

PS: I am a nerd, not a geek.

May 21, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #19 of 39
I'd say both...
I build my own computers, and I have a Macbook Pro, ipod, iphone, psp, ds, and then neato headphones of course.
However I'm also big into music -- I played trombone in high school, college, and I still do now. If anyone knows trombones, I have a Bach Stradivarius 36BO. I'm also learning drums, I have an electronic Roland TD-3SW (since I live in an apartment complex), and also an entry Fender Squier P-Bass guitar and amp.

I love gadgets, but I also love playing music and having decent equipment for both.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the B22 for low-impendance cans like Grados (both the SR, RS and the GS-1000) and the new Denons? I will DIY because I want the most music quality for my money ... if indeed DIY is what provides the best quality/$$$ ratio.

PS: I am a nerd, not a geek.

Goodness, I wish I knew!
wink.gif
I'm still a poor starving student myself, and unfortunately, I didn't really get a chance to do comparisons at CanJam. I would like to build a balanced system one day though!

May 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #21 of 39
I've loved electronics/gadgets and computers for as long as I can remember, and I keep up with tech news all the time (Engadget, ftw!). And I'm a ThinkPad fangirl to the extreme.
I've only been playing the clarinet for 5 years now. And I listen to music for, maybe 6 hours a day if I'm lucky.. But I own more CDs than all of my friends combined, and I know what good audio sounds like.
Probably a bit of both.

May 21, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #22 of 39
Well, I dig anything with buttons but I've been a music lover as long as I can remember. I could say it's mixture of both but I can go on without gadgets if I have to but I can't go on one day without music.
wink.gif

May 22, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #23 of 39
well ive been playing the piano for about 12 years, and i dabble in guitar/bass/harmonica...as far as drums..umm..i can play on expert in rock band?! lol.

and im also going to school for a comp sci degree....soooo im guessing i'm both

May 22, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 39
come on, has to be 1 electronics geek out there.....come on, you know you are....admit it!

May 22, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come on, has to be 1 electronics geek out there.....come on, you know you are....admit.

my guess is a lot of people on this site (who joined for headphone related stuffz) like both but wouldnt hold electronics over their music. idk.

May 22, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #26 of 39
Theres alot of PC geeks out there. Ill admit i found out about head fi through a PC hardware forum.

May 22, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #27 of 39
i found out about this site from a halo forum (video game) lol

May 22, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come on, has to be 1 electronics geek out there.....come on, you know you are....admit it!

I think we like to fool ourselves. I have friends who ... well, illegal activity breaking copyright law ... A LOT, and they claim they do it because they love music and movies. But all they do is fill up hard drives.

Surely someone here is telling himself (as he is comparing the 157th headphone to the 143rd) that he is dong this to listen to his music in the best way possible. But he's been at it for 10 years, and spends more time comparing than listening.

A simple test (and I just realized I failed this): Are you listening to music right now as you are reading this forum?

May 22, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #29 of 39
Im listening to Frampton comes alive right now, disc 2 =)

May 22, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we like to fool ourselves. I have friends who ... well, illegal activity breaking copyright law ... A LOT, and they claim they do it because they love music and movies. But all they do is fill up hard drives.

Surely someone here is telling himself (as he is comparing the 157th headphone to the 143rd) that he is dong this to listen to his music in the best way possible. But he's been at it for 10 years, and spends more time comparing than listening.

A simple test (and I just realized I failed this): Are you listening to music right now as you are reading this forum?

lol. i WAS listening to the new NIN album but the song stopped a minute ago and i was lazy and havent picked a new song yet.

though i think i also fail in the fact that my headphones are upstairs and im too lazy to get em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back