Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail?
Jan 31, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #1,306 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you be so sure he threw the tubes away?

He said he called Mikhail and Mikhail replied they are junk, I threw them away. I think that's about as clear as it can get of how thoughtless Mikhail can be. But you know what, at this point with what Markmaxx has experienced, I'm sure Mark needs to fabricate stories to enhance his horror experience.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #1,308 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok the 5%
confused_face(1).gif

I sent Mikhail a batch of hi end NOS tubes for testing Hundreds of dollars worth, I finley asked him did you ever test those tubes I sent you? Makhail said they were all junk!!!! He through them away, I was expecting the tubes to come back to me with some sort of value written on them (88/92) nope he tossed them in the trash for me.

Did he refund you the cost? Some of the tubes he sends out do not appear to have been tested,I had an arcing Tungsol 6080 from him

He seems at times not to listen to his customers

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #1,309 of 1,964
Quote:

I don't doubt that he didn't get the tubes back, and I don't doubt that he was told they were garbage...

Yep, I know my posts are very blunt and garish on these forums sometimes.

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #1,310 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I know my posts are very blunt and garish on these forums sometimes.

Not to mention out of place.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,311 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He said he called Mikhail and Mikhail replied they are junk, I threw them away. I think that's about as clear as it can get of how thoughtless Mikhail can be. But you know what, at this point with what Markmaxx has experienced, I'm sure Mark needs to fabricate stories to enhance his horror experience.

Thanks! My friend!

What don't you believe? Did you see the pictures, zip ties, hardware crimped on ends, the switch on the top so I could go from Supra/extreme,that he told me my tubes were all bad, that he wanted 100% more (he wanted $140 or $150) for the tubes Bendix 2C51 which Earl wants $70 for, that it took for ever to build, or that he held it hostage untill I gave him more moneyor the fact it went $1000 over budget?

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #1,314 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At same time you sould consider all the high end stuffs Mikhail hand made by himself. It is like too many order, and too little help.

(Deep breath taken) Seamaster, take a look at the bigger picture. Your post can be infuriating to those affected here.
There is no way to minimize these actions. Not in this century, anyway.
These offenses are inexcusable.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #1,315 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno I mean. I guess I'll ask him about it, but uh.. I'll probably just order 2 from music direct since even if he does agree to send me some its going to take like 6 months to get them.

Honestly it doesn't matter to me much, but when I thnk more about it I've had things with 3 feet and sometimes they wobble if I put pressure on them from the top for whatever reason. It's a pretty rare case scenario for the SS-1 or say my 60 pound Esoteric sources, but shrug. It also will make my 55 dollar puck useful again! That's almost like EARNING 15 dollars no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yessir Beefy! Bought from Sleestack. That's the amp. Does seem like 4 huh!

I've actually had the opposite experience... I vastly prefer three feet. It's just so much easier to get the levelling perfect. It's my stuff with four feet (like the racks) that gives me headaches.

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #1,317 of 1,964
Quote:

How can you be so sure he threw the tubes away?

X2

I've got a STRONG feeling that those tubes are now sitting in other people's amps. Every single time a customer posts (with the exception of those with Stockholm Syndrome) on this thread, the tale gets worse. Calling Mikhail scum is an insult to scum.

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,318 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't level amps tho, you level shelves. Which are a LOT more stable than a tripod base on an amp.

I do both.

EDIT--And I prefer (by a large margin) three feet. Almost every high end turntable I've seen is a three footer; I think there is a reason for this.

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,319 of 1,964
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! My friend!

What don't you believe? Did you see the pictures, zip ties, hardware crimped on ends, the switch on the top so I could go from Supra/extreme,that he told me my tubes were all bad, that he wanted 100% more (he wanted $140 or $150) for the tubes Bendix 2C51 which Earl wants $70 for, that it took for ever to build, or that he held it hostage untill I gave him more moneyor the fact it went $1000 over budget?

I was not going to comment but since I saw my name pop up here .... I am.

Mark, I may have not been clear when you contacted me to ask me about the pricing for 2C51s. I thought I told you the Bendix are very rare, and $125, the price you quoted, was not something out of the norm. But, what I added was that I personally did not think the Bendix is noticeably superior to the typical 2C51/ 5670, if at all .... just different. Adding to that, I told you because the Bendix did not sound special to me that I would never pay that much for them. Next, I told you the standard 2C51s like the TS/ GE and Sylvania are all excellent tubes. So, I offered you essentially a lifetime supply of standard matched pairs for the same $125 you would have paid for the one pair.

Later when you asked about ECC #1 adapter tubes I looked through my stash for you and I happened to find a pair of Bendix 2C51s. The tube as you know is tiny and I had put a divider in a standard 9 pin box with a 2C51 on each end. I didnt realize I had two until I accidentally turned the box over and saw writing noting I put tubes in both ends.

Now .... knowing you originally really wanted a Bendix 2C51 pair I asked you if you were interested when I pm'd you about the ECC #1 tubes I had. The reason I priced them as I did is you are a friend and I dont like to charge my friends the going rate for tubes. To be honest, I felt guilty asking for $70; especially for a tube I dont think is anything special. But, I could easily sell them on ebay and get the same $125 or more. So, I came up with that compromise price.

So, my price was not reflective of what a Bendix 2C51 is worth. Consequently, in this case, the fair market value from Mikhail was not out of line, mine was. Moreover, given tube values fluctuate wildly at times with new upper price barriers being established almost monthly sometimes for a "hot tube" .... a value is as much a guess as anything. This certainly doesnt excuse him throwing away your tubes in your other transaction. I return tubes when they are bad if I expect compensation .... or have them returned to me if I sold them to verify the truth.

But, back to the 2C51s, he is a business man and he is in business to make money. So, IMO, him charging the typical going rate is to be expected. Bendix 2C51s are definitely a rare tube and there is a much smaller supply of the Bendix 2C51s around than the rare 6SN7GTs you see going for $400-500 per pair.

popcorn.gif

As an interesting side note, I had a member contact for advice about tubes for his Wavelength dac. You guys really need to be careful when you buy tube gear so you dont get gear with irreplaceable tubes. You also need to do a little research to see tube pricing before you buy tubes .... or atleast ask somebody. Check this out!!!

Hi,

I've read some of your posts and it seems you know alot about tubes. So, I wanted to ask if the above mentioned will run me 1500 USD?

I have a Wavelength Audio Crimson DAC, which I am thinking of upgrading with this particular tube.

And this is a triode, right?

Me ....

You can buy the nos 71A for $40 each from Radio Electric Supply (RES). I would never pay that much for a pair of tubes. Tubes get hyped and the price skyrockets. Sound is so subjective .... I have used many holy grail tubes and some are very good and some are not. I use a alot of tubes no one knows about that sub for the expensive tubes .... and I dont feel I am missing anything. The 71A is a small power triode and the tube plain sounds good no matter which brand you use. To assume that the tube in question would sound the best in every system is a real stretch.

So to be clear, the tube may be fantastic but standard 71As are fantastic. I cant see the tube in question elevating the performance to justify the cost. I hope that helps.

Him ...

Hi Earl,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I wrote to you because the manufacturer (Wavelength) is selling the Telefunken's for 1500 USD each. But I'm happy with the 71A in them now, the balloon variant have a warm and smooth sound which suits me just fine.

I don't think I will be buying the RE134's, at least not from Wavelength. But he may think I am a noob, and would charge the high price, and I would pay, no questions asked. Not anymore though.

Me ....

$1500 EACH!!!! I thought you meant for a pair. Do you know some of the dacs you can buy for $3000 .... good grief! Telefunkens ARE usually hyped period. Like some of their 12AX7/12AU7s .... which are good but on the bright analytical side, IMO. I have to tell you this is may be the most extreme pricing I have ever come across.

Being curious I called RES myself .... they had one Zenith branded 71A in stock. I will look around for you. I hope you havent bought a product that has no replacement tubes available; atleast available for a reasonable price.

Earl

Me again ....

I find 71As listed in stock for sale with Radio Daze = Radiodaze .... and Antique Electronic Supply = Antique Electric Supply. If I were you I would buy some while you can. These sellers are also charging in the $35-45 per tube range.

Earl

Him ....

Hi Earl,

Thanks for the findings!
smily_headphones1.gif

I do need some new 71A tubes. There is a loud hum in one of them and I can't get rid of it argh! I've talked with Gordon (Wavelength) about it and he made dampers and sent new tubes etc, but nothing worked. The Crimson DAC can also work with WE101L/M but I've never tried. Only 71A ST and balloon.

Gonna buy some tubes fron those sites, maybe that'll help with the hum, by getting some NOS.

Back to the present ... you wonder if this is even a tube problem and that there isnt something wrong with the dac. I think I suggested he send the dac back to be evaluated. Also, while I think that tube price is crazy I am not familair with a lot of the European tubes and maybe this a going rate.
confused_face_2.gif
But, if the dac was designed for 71As and doesnt work correctly with that tube .... how would selling him a pair of tubes that sub for the 71A for $3000 help?

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,320 of 1,964
bendix 2c51 are not rare... i've seen hundreds for sale from japanese
sellers on yahoo japan auction... they go for about $35 per piece.

the bendix 6385 are another story. they are more difficult to come
by, even thru japanese sources connected to the us military....
they go for $65 - $80+ in japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back