Where do you buy supplies?
Jul 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sochee

100+ Head-Fier
I need to build my own mini-to-RCA as well as replace some jacks on an old cable. Where do you DIY guys get all your supplies - what website? I am not sure which one has the largest selection and best prices.

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 9
If you're located in Australia, you will most likely get shafted on costs of parts, having to wait for shipping, shipping costs and lack of variety. You should be fine though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eekimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're located in Australia, you will most likely get shafted on costs of parts, having to wait for shipping, shipping costs and lack of variety. You should be fine though
smily_headphones1.gif

You obviously haven't looked very hard......

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You obviously haven't looked very hard......

lol, that was a helpful post.
For most of the valve amps and things I've been building, I've had to resort ot ordering parts from the US. Local sources such as DSE and Jaycar don't sell very good quality components, as they all seem like generic, random components. Jaycar is good for when you need something, ASAP though.

Other sources such as RS, and farnell are just plain expensive imo. X-on are my favourite so far. Added support from Mouser website helps, since the x-on website is rubbish. Occasionaly items pop up on e-bay, howver, once again, depends on how lucky you are.

So..Good Times, care to share any sources for purchasing 'stuff'?

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eekimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, that was a helpful post.

And your post was?

I'm not suggesting local suppliers. I'm suggesting there are many many overseas suppliers (see resource list) that offer fair and reasonable shipping costs, and can ship quickly.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 9
If you are in Australia, Farnells are great and their price is not bad when you add in shipping is $10 for over night deiver in a 3kg bag. Also try Futurlec they have very reasonable shipping but can take a week or so to arrive
Components

cheers
FRED

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sochee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to build my own mini-to-RCA as well as replace some jacks on an old cable. Where do you DIY guys get all your supplies - what website? I am not sure which one has the largest selection and best prices.

I like Parts Express house brand (Dayton Audio) for moderate price jacks and plugs. Shipping from the US might be too expensive.

I live in the UK. I get parts from

Farnell
RS
Mouser
Digikey
Parts Express
Head-Fi Group buys
Maplin

Mouser and Digikey both have £ based on-line shops. Don't know if they do something similar for Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back