Where do folks find the time?
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #32 of 37
It's not like us students study round the clock...

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always worked 12-15 hour days. when I went to bed at night, I always knew what I was going to do the next day and couldn't wait to get to work in the morning. I loved it. Is there something wrong with me? Don't you want to succeed? Make some decent money? Get and keep the beautiful woman? Or man?

My company culture is to "work smarter not harder". Success, productivity, efficiency and advancement are not directly related to the sheer number of hours spent clocked in at work. My job is like that, there is a lot of waiting around for others to finish their tasks in a new product release. If I factor in the number of hours I work from home in the morning and logged in on weekends it averages out to a ~12 hour day.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

I always worked 12-15 hour days. when I went to bed at night, I always knew what I was going to do the next day and couldn't wait to get to work in the morning. I loved it. Is there something wrong with me? Don't you want to succeed? Make some decent money? Get and keep the beautiful woman? Or man?

You may have been lucky to be so fulfilled by your career, but don't presume that is the motivating factor in everyone's life--even science/tech/business professionals--or that material success is the key to getting the sort of relationship that everyone wants.

Some of us put time with our families ahead of spending another 4 or 7 hours a day in the office or at the plant. Some of us work substantial unpaid hours as volunteers at schools or charities to do something more worthwhile than simply feathering our own nests.

Helping others provides far more satisfaction to me than, say, buying an Esoteric CD player that only I would enjoy (even though I could afford it.) I feel better that we send about $1,000 a year down to Latin America to put two kids through mission schools than I would if I bought CD's with that money.

I have a beautiful wife who doesn't care about huge material rewards, nor do I.....which has turned out to be a good thing. I happen to work in a particular field that has suffered huge job losses, and most of my bosses--great people, successful in business--ended up retired and angry at age 55 when plants were closed. Didn't matter what we did--we set records for quality, low cost to produce, safety, and zero environmental incidents in the last year one of those plant was open. Six months after our last day, it was paved over as a parking lot, because the parent company's dumbsh*t suits from Europe had gotten the company involved in a price-fixing cartel, got the book thrown at them, and the business just disappeared. And job offers from other companies that could use my expertise evaporated when they became targets (and victims) of spillover investigations by the DOJ.

Anyway, I have done mostly consulting gigs since that time, so I can I pretty much arrange my free time as I wish. I also hate TV...and now think that pro sports are so full of ignorant thugs that I have no interest in sports on TV as I did before....so in the evening, I surf.

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Me too, but in all honesty I have gone wanting in lots of areas.

Truly wanting, or a feeling that you ought to want something because someone else thinks you should want it?

IMHO, our society has shifted values markedly in the past couple of generations, and now puts temporary and fleeting symbols of "wealth" or "success" ahead of fulfilling real, internal needs.....and people are less happy.

Folks who really grew up during the Depression often say it best, something like "We had pretty much nothing, but neither did our neighbors, and we learned to value people rather than what they had."

My first employer was a division of Kodak.....George Eastman said:

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do in our leisure hours determines what we are."

And he was a pretty successful fellow, it seems.

Aug 25, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 37
I need a job and a girlfriend. Until then, perhaps I should take up that manwhoring you all speak so fondly of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back