When is good not good enough for you?
Mar 11, 2020 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Centropolis

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't been on Head-Fi for a while because for the past couple of years, I have been satisfied with what I own. Although everything I own are not top-tier stuff, I find them to be fully adequate for my needs.

However, lately I've been thinking about upgrading my wired portable option. Currently I have a cheap 1More triple driver and a Etymotic HF5. 1More is not as good as the reviews say but the HF5 are great for me. I am getting the itch to upgrade my HF5 to the new ER3XR. Online reviews say they are slightly better than the HF5 but I am internally debating whether it's worth it.

This brings me (finally) to what I want to discuss. When is very good not good enough? I currently use HF5 if I want wired but mostly I use my Sony WF3s or Senn Truly Wireless when I want to use bluetooth. I know I know...the quad driver Shures are probably sound better but why do you feel like you NEED anything better sounding than Sony WF3s, when you're walking around downtown or on the train/bus? Do spending an extra $300 on something matter that much to you? I am not trying to be difficult. I mean, it's a hobby and if we don't pursue better, then it's not really a hobby. But considering you're not at home, I am not sure how much better than Momentum True Wireless or Sony WF3s you can get/hear on the go. I mean do you like carrying an amp and wear your HD800 or something outside?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 4
I haven't been on Head-Fi for a while because for the past couple of years, I have been satisfied with what I own. Although everything I own are not top-tier stuff, I find them to be fully adequate for my needs.

However, lately I've been thinking about upgrading my wired portable option. Currently I have a cheap 1More triple driver and a Etymotic HF5. 1More is not as good as the reviews say but the HF5 are great for me. I am getting the itch to upgrade my HF5 to the new ER3XR. Online reviews say they are slightly better than the HF5 but I am internally debating whether it's worth it.

This brings me (finally) to what I want to discuss. When is very good not good enough? I currently use HF5 if I want wired but mostly I use my Sony WF3s or Senn Truly Wireless when I want to use bluetooth. I know I know...the quad driver Shures are probably sound better but why do you feel like you NEED anything better sounding than Sony WF3s, when you're walking around downtown or on the train/bus? Do spending an extra $300 on something matter that much to you? I am not trying to be difficult. I mean, it's a hobby and if we don't pursue better, then it's not really a hobby. But considering you're not at home, I am not sure how much better than Momentum True Wireless or Sony WF3s you can get/hear on the go. I mean do you like carrying an amp and wear your HD800 or something outside?

There's big diminshing returns in this hobby the higher you go up. So i guess the rabbithole never ends as something better will come out after a few weeks. Especially with the release of CHIFI the past few years (before the coronavirus struck), it really makes you realize what good price to performance ratio you can obtain for relatively cheap nowadays, compared to just 3 years back.

I think most important is to set a budget for yourself with what you are comfortable with and stick to it. FOMO is strong but most of us have mouths to feed and bills to pay.

As for bringing TOTL gear outdoors, generally the isolation isn't the best outdoors, so one won't be able to obtain maximal details for critical listening outdoors, especially with open backed cans or poorly isolating IEMs/buds. I generally use a cheaper beater set of IEMs outside and reserve my better gear for home use where it is quieter. Plus bringing or stacking DACs and amps outdoors is usually quite a hassle unless u have those small dongle usb kind of DAC/amps or a DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 4
It isn't. Nothing more to really say. There's a time and place for everything. I'm plenty fine walking around or working out with my Liberty Pro 2s. They sound great for what they are and i get enough details and fun out and about that i am content. If i wanted great sound id go a custom route and play the what if game. What if i decide to go indoors somewhere where its quieter. Would i want better sound with me? I used to do that. But i am not very picky.

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 4
There are still things like better materials, build quality, pride of ownership that come with better stuff.

I mean people who can afford it still drive Ferarris and Lambos to the grocery store...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back