What's your foobar2000 setup?
Apr 29, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #393 of 527
I use Foobar to stream audio from my Subsonic client via home network, though it can work outside of network as well. Works really well, there is an option in Subsonic to play the files in external player using playlist and uncompressed files can be streamed as is without conversion to MP3 by default.

One question.... did anyone try to configure the Foobar equalizer to compensate for the headphone frequency graph? For instance, my current HE-400 has small spikes around 1kHz and a drop around 3-5kHz and 11 and 12 kHz as posted on the graphs from here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf. Also significant drop in the treble region after 11kHz and more.

So I thought it might be a good idea to compensate these spikes and drops via equalizer in Foobar to make the HE-400 sound more linear and flat.

I created a preset file that has the following data in it (the actual filename is he-400.feq, sorry I cannot post attachments):

It makes HE-400 sound much more alive and realistic, I think, with more body to the mids, more clarity in the upper treble and punchier bass.

Was that already discussed in the forum and I am just reinventing the wheel? There might be equalizer presets available for each phone somewhere, I have not searched for them yet though.

Any thoughts?

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #394 of 527
  I use Foobar to stream audio from my Subsonic client via home network, though it can work outside of network as well. Works really well, there is an option in Subsonic to play the files in external player using playlist and uncompressed files can be streamed as is without conversion to MP3 by default.

One question.... did anyone try to configure the Foobar equalizer to compensate for the headphone frequency graph? For instance, my current HE-400 has small spikes around 1kHz and a drop around 3-5kHz and 11 and 12 kHz as posted on the graphs from here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf. Also significant drop in the treble region after 11kHz and more.

So I thought it might be a good idea to compensate these spikes and drops via equalizer in Foobar to make the HE-400 sound more linear and flat.

I created a preset file that has the following data in it (the actual filename is he-400.feq, sorry I cannot post attachments):

It makes HE-400 sound much more alive and realistic, I think, with more body to the mids, more clarity in the upper treble and punchier bass.

Was that already discussed in the forum and I am just reinventing the wheel? There might be equalizer presets available for each phone somewhere, I have not searched for them yet though.

Any thoughts?

1/not sure it's the right topic
2/ get yourself a vsp VST wrapper and add a parametric equalizer to foobar instead of using the default not so amazing sliders. (many are free like easyQ or electriQ)
edit: vsp vst .... ptsd ..... close enough right ^_^ (sorry for the typo)

Apr 30, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #395 of 527

Any thoughts?

You'd be much better off with a parametric EQ.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #397 of 527
Sorry, it's not packed up to be distributed. It references files for icons and overlays that are stored in a folder somewhere on my computer and it's using various other user-specific hacks that I wouldn't even know where to begin making it redistributable.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #398 of 527
Just got the iFi Micro iDSD and pretty new to both Foobar and hq headphones.  Currently using WASAPI on Foobar to play FLAC, but want to try DSD so per IFis recommendation I'm going to do a full uninstall, then (1) dl SACD/DSD plugin, (2) dl Foobar, and (3) dl ASIO plug-in.  Will also add WASAPI.  Any other essential plug-ins/components/settings for the best sounding music?  I'll worry about skins and such later, just want to play hq music first.  I'll be trying the Micro as both a DAC/amp and purely as a DAC connected to a Bottlehead Crack amp.

Thanks

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #399 of 527
I am comparing JRiver with Foobar2000.
I would prefer to use Foobar because it is good and free. But JRiver is pretty complete and does not require a learning curve.
JRiver has in its main window in the right upper corner a DSP button and when you hoover over it with the mouse, it shows the full audio path.
I really like this feature of JRiver. I tried to find something similar for Foobar but could not find anything.
Could someone with more experience with Foobar please help me out? I would really appreciate some assistance?

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #400 of 527
Anybody care to comment on how i can make and save a playlist.

I finally figured it out.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #402 of 527

Haha I can't go back to foobar after using J River it's just so much more appealing.

utorrent is downloading Ubuntu 15.04 not music.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #405 of 527
I'm going to have to read through this lol, I do have a problem though. My install is now Japanese, and I am very white english lad lol. Could someone post a screenshot of where to navigate to change this?

As you can see here the menu has been re-written. I am in the display menu, I just can't figure it out. From what I can make out it is though I am probably wrong:

Component-->Media Library-->Tools-->Keyboard Shortcuts-->Playback Settings-->Display-->Shell Intergration-->Networking-->Advanced

http://s8.postimg.org/y317oavxh/Foo_Bar_Settings_08_07_15_VER_1_0.jpg

As opposed to Component-->Display-->Keyboard Shortcuts--->Media Library-->Networking-->Playback-->Shell Intergration-->Tools--->Advanced

All so my setup: http://s22.postimg.org/vaisg2k1t/Foo_Bar_Main_08_07_15_VER_1_0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back