What's your favorite Live Album?
Jul 25, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #140 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdaq
Dispatch - Gut the Van

Excellent album!

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #141 of 152
My favorites:

Bill Frisell, Kermit Driscoll, Joey Baron: Live.

Bill Frisell: East/West, Further East/Further West.

Zappa: The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.

Bill Evans (the Vanguard stuff).

Also, it's not that popular, but I like that Live album from Bob Marley. I like the trenchtown rock on it a lot.

But this is why Head-fi is so great: I never knew, until I read this thread, that the Cowboy Junkies had a live albume! I'm going to buy it. This thread also reminds me that I need to get that Portishead live album...

So thanks again, Head-fi!

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #142 of 152
Jazz at the Pawnshop is one of my favourites.
Another one is The Carnegie Hall Concert, which features Evegeny Kissin and James Levine.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #144 of 152
Just remembered another...

Rush - R30

This is a must-have for anyone that might have had the slightest thought that they could possibly like Rush.

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #145 of 152
"Frampton Comes Alive" - Peter Frampton
"Live at San Quentin" - Johnny Cash
"Rock 'n' Roll Animal" - Lou Reed
"Unplugged" - Nirvana
"Unplugged" - Alice In Chains
"Koeln Concert" - Keith Jarrett
"Tear It Up - Live" - Black Uhuru
"Stripped" - The Rolling Stones
"Stop Making Sense" - The Talking Heads
"Live @ The Fillmore" - Lucinda Williams << I was there >>
"Blazing Away" - Marianne Faithfull
"Weld" - Neil Young
"Alive She Cried" - The Doors
"Show" or "Paris" or really any live recording - The Cure

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #146 of 152
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita
But this is why Head-fi is so great: I never knew, until I read this thread, that the Cowboy Junkies had a live albume! I'm going to buy it. This thread also reminds me that I need to get that Portishead live album...

FWIW - much prefer the studio albums - just about never spin the live one... hmmm... I think I'll go listen to it right now...

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #148 of 152
Live albums are a major "hit or miss" in my mind. You know almost instantly if the album captured the energy and the performance was worthy of printing. Allman Bros at Filmore has to near the top, as many other that were mentioned.

Nobody said Lynyrd Skynyrd (One More from the Road)! Go to a concert now and someone will yell "Freebird!"

I recently listened to Heart (Live in Seattle) and The Doobie Bros (Rockin' down the Highway, The Wildlife Concert). These are 2 bands that I wish had better live albums.
mad.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #149 of 152
My all-time, far and away, nothing touches it, favorite album is Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #150 of 152
ACK! No one's mentioned Van Morrison's It's Too Late To Stop Now!

Double Album.....incredible recording. One of the best live recordings I've ever heard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back