What's your favorite Live Album?
Nov 10, 2001 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 152

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately, I've been into live albums. For me there's a certain ambience captured on live recordings that makes listening to them especially enjoyable through headphones. The MTV unplugged concerts come to mind. I've also been listening to music for so long, that the little variations that happen in concert can give a song I've grown tired of new life. So, any genre included, what is everyone's recommendation for favorite live album?

Nov 11, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 152
1. Allman Brothers Band - The Fillmore Concerts
2. Widespread Panic - Light Fuse, Get Away
3. Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks
4. Grateful Dead - Europe '72
5. Jimi Hendrix - Live at the Winterland
6. The Who - Live at Leeds
7. Pearl Jam - Many of their official North American and European tour bootlegs
8. Phish - Their recent 6 volume live set is supposed to be pretty good
9. B.B. King - Live at the Regal

Just a few great live albums to check out.

Nov 11, 2001 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 152
Dire Straits - Alchemy

best live album ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 152
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Live Art
Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks
Dave Matthews Band - Listener Supported
Dave Matthews Band - Live in Chicago - 12.19.98
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College

Did I just list all the live DMB albums?
smily_headphones1.gif
Hehe, anyway, I really like them, more than the studio albums. Can't wait to get the shows from gloco that I want
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 152
Allman Bros. Band - Live at the Fillmore East
Hendrix - Band of Gypsy's
Frank Zappa - Shut up and play yer guitar (2 discs)
Blue Oyster Cult - On your feet or on your knees (high school - 20 + years ago)
Weather Report - 8:30
Shakti - remember shakti
McLaughlin, DeMeola, DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francisco

Nov 11, 2001 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 152
DMB @ Red Rocks

I like Nirvana Unplugged, as well.....

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 152
Ok, something a bit "unofficial" and in no particular order:

1. Elton John/Billy Joel: face to face
2. Metallica: Ministry of Sound
3. smashing pumpkins: Exit mellon collie
4. radiohead: the best thing you ever had
5. oasis: 250,000 oasis fans cant be wrong (took me a year to get it!)
6. sarah mclachlan: under a blackened sky
7. Dave Matthews band: live at loreley festival
8. Better than ezra: in the zone
9. smashing pumpkins: 2nd to last show
10. dave matthews band: lillywhite sessions (unreleased album)

All of these shows are SOUNDBOARD and sound very very NICE!

George

Nov 11, 2001 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 152
I agree that "live" recordings can be spectacular. Here are a few of my favorite live "jazz" recordings:

1. John Coltrane- Live at the Village Vanguard (1961)

2. Thelonious Monk- Live at the Five Spot 1958 ("Thelonious Monk In Action" & "Misterioso")

3. Eric Dolphy- Live At The Five Spot

4. Charles Mingus- Live at Antibes

5. Abdullah Ibrahim- "Matsidiso" & "South African Sunshine"

6. John Coltrane- "Live at Birdland"

7. Ed Blackwell Project - "What It Is"

Nov 11, 2001 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 152
First couple copies I had many years ago were tapes, and were eaten up. Then CDs, one lost, one hacked up -- and come to think of it, I don't know where my 5th copy is now.

Rush : Exit Stage Left

Nov 11, 2001 at 9:21 AM Post #12 of 152
genesis - the way we walk volumes 1 & 2. especially 2 (the longs) where they do a medley of firth of fifth etc.
james taylor - live. heard this on a top notch hifi including tannoy dimension 12 speakers (sorry 4 swearing) and it was absolutely tremendous

Nov 11, 2001 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 152
Well, to bring in some classical...I am a big fan of the concert Vladimir Horowitz's gave on his return to Russia in 1985. He played solo piano to a crowd of thousands. There was almost a riot to get in. The police tried to kick out all the conservatory students, so that party officials could watch, but the students refused to leave. You can hear the commotion in the first couple of minutes. By the end of the concert, people were overcome with emotion -- crying, cheering --the passion permeated the whole concert hall. It's palpable in the recording. It is remarkable. It is available on Deutsche Grammophone. Check it out.
Another fantastic one is a cd with the premiere's of Shostakovich's 1st violin and cello concertos in the U.S. They were so good, that the Soviets brought Shostakovich, David Oistrakh (violinist) and Mstislav Rostropovich (cellist) to play them with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia orchestra and Dmitri Mitropoulos and the New York Philharmonic. This was back in the 50s. It was totally unheard of, and the political tension was strong. Yet once they begin to play, you can feel it dissipate, as people just begin to appreciate the music for how amazing it is. It is on Sony Classical's Masterworks Heritage series. These are two great recordings if you like classical music, and are at all interested in history. Even if you are not, you will certainly be able to feel the drama present in the recordings.
Sorry for the length.
Stuart

Nov 11, 2001 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 152
My old LP of 801 Live from the mid-70s, fronted by a young Brian Eno, is my favourite live rock recording.

Favorite live jazz recordings:

Keith Jarrett Live at the Blue Note
Shelly Manne and his Men vol 4
Bill Evans, Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby

Classical - a few favourites: Karajan's 1951 live recording of Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg from the Bayreuth Festival, Knappertsbusch's Parsifal from the 1963 Bayreuth Festival, Gunter Wand's recording of Bruckner 9 recorded in Lubeck Cathedral.

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back