What's your drink? (Cocktails)
Jul 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #32 of 57
^So that explains your HEad-Fi name! 

The V.E.P. version is just the oiliest, most fragrant and flavorful drink.  There is so much going on in it that it is basically a food.  Hope you get to try the aged version sometime. 

But yes, it is quite strong <with not just the effects of the alcohol> so it's more of a sipper... 
Indeed. There are many excellent beers, liquors, and mixed drinks out there, but Chartreuse Green and Tonic is my drink of choice (though I only have it sparingly due to the cost of Chartreuse). I've never tried the V.E.P. and doubt I can get it here in Washington (blasted state liquor stores), but perhaps I'll have to pull some connections back in Michigan and see what I can do.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #33 of 57
I'm mostly a girly drink type of guy (don't like beer or wine) and recently discovered whipped cream vodka. A couple ounces of that then fill an old fashioned glass with orange soda and it's a creamsicle with a kick. I also like White Russians, vanilla vodka with Pepsi, and stuff like that. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #34 of 57
I'm mostly a beer guy but on ocassion do enjoy a Vodka Seven or a Rum and Coke if it's made with premium grade liquor. I also do enjoy a good single malt like Macallans, Oban, or Bowmore just to name a few. Once in a while after a good meal or on a cold wintery day, I enjoy a cup of Irish Coffee made with Bushmills Irish Whiskey.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #36 of 57
Absinthe, green fairy optional LoL, tried it years ago when on holiday in New Orleans at the Old Absinthe Bar in Bourbon street, they serve you a measure of absinthe in a strange shaped glass, then place a sugar cube on a weird metal spoon.
Ice cold water is poured over the sugar and it dissolves into the (green) absinthe which then turns cloudy white, very tasty, extremely potent.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #38 of 57
Nice sauvignon blanc/pinot noir/alsatian or german wines, and lots more, the list goes on! :)   My favorite US pinot noir is Navarro from Mendocino, though Melville from the Central Coast is great too (not only their pinot noir but also their Chardonnay INOX)....

Speaking of which, I have two bottles of 1979 Chateau Lafite Rothschild (or 1978 - I have to double-check) which I'd be willing to swap for some equivalent value headphone gear (is that appropriate to post here?).  I was shocked at how much they're going for when I googled them.   Have lots of 1988 Bourgognes too - but since I don't imbibe like I used to, I just stare at the bottles and drool...

May 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #39 of 57
Having a nice time with a bottle of Beefeater gin and ice cubes, nothing else, so had to dig this thread.

My favorite cocktails are the negroni and the old fashioned.

May 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #40 of 57
- Effin or Belvedere vodka and seven-up
- Top-shelf Tequila in a Margarita (on the rocks with salt) - with a shot of Grand Marnier (sometimes called a "Cadillac Margarita")
- Anything you can buy from a pool bar at a hotel in Hawaii, the Carribean or a similar tropical locale. The drink must have fruit hanging on the glass and a little umbrella. Examples include: Mai Tai, Lava Flow, Tropical Itch, Rum Punch, etc. Extra points if it is served in a hollowed-out fresh pineapple or coconut.

May 7, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #41 of 57
I drink quite a bit of beer, my standard right now is Goose Island's 311 from Chicago, my cheap standard is Miller High Life, its my favorite cheap beer.

I also used to drink alot of Black Russians, and i still drink them reasonably often. Made with New Deal Distillery Portland 88 vodka(easily some of the best vodka i have ever had, for the astounding low price of 20 bucks a bottle. Only vodka ive ever had that was better is the Jean Marc XO, which ive had the same bottle of for like 6 years, since i almost never drink it), and New Deal Distillery Coffe Liquor. i usually mix it 3-4:1.

But recently ive discovered a taste for bourbon, but i dont drink it straight, i mix it mostly with Dr Pepper, sometimes with coke, and for this i found that George Dickel Sour Mash #8 for 13 dollars a bottle at the Class VI disspears in the soda as good as anything else ive tried so i see no reason to spend more.

May 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #42 of 57
Irish Trash Cans, I used to be a long island guy, but I'm burned out on them, the sour mix always gave me a ton of heartburn too.

May 8, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #43 of 57
Lately, I've seen an increase (in the big American cities) of high quality cocktail bars or sometimes they would be called prohibition style bars and this is great. These types of bars are dedicated to using high quality ingredients for the proper cocktail. For example, they will use house made grenadine instead of the cheap stuff. Fresh squeezed lime juice is also used instead of the bottled stuff which is terrible in my opinion.

In the past couple of months, I've been enjoying some of the old style cocktails that were invented in the early 20th century but they have to be well made and usually found in high end bars that are dedicated in proper mixology. Some of my favorites include the Jack Rose, French 75, Daiquiri, Hot Buttered Rum  and the Side Car. I've also enjoyed  some of the newer modern cocktails as well.

I also want to mention the Daiquiri as perhaps the most misunderstood cocktail. Commonly, the Daiquiri is known as this girly drink served in the lower end cheap bars and they usually are not that good in my opinion. The original version or the Hemingway version is really what you should try to order. The Daiquiri is a fine drink but a good version is hard to find unless you go to a real cocktail bar that knows the fundamentals of mixology with bartenders who know what they are doing.

Finally, I also want to applaud the bartenders out there who know how to make a great cocktail because it's common that the average bartender has little idea what good quality cocktails are about. If you do find a talented bartender who knows the real deal, that person is special and deserves high regard.

May 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #44 of 57
Speakeasys are more likely a global phenomenon, here in Sao Paulo I have been to a bunch of those in the last few years. Even though most of them are a tad expensive, it is great to have respectable bartenders doing great things like rediscovering cocktails and ingredients.

May 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #45 of 57
I'm mostly a beer drinker, mainly ales, especially IPA. As far as cocktails, I like a variety of drinks.

Martini - I've lately been making my Martinis with a dash or two of orange bitters, using London Dry gin. If I have Hendricks, I use a cucumber slice.

Gin and Tonic - A long time favorite. A Hendricks G&T with a slice of cucumber makes a great summer drink.

Negroni - a recent favorite. I add a dash of orange bitters if I don't have an orange.

Margarita - Love a good Margarita. I prefer mine on the rocks, no salt. Not a fan of the frozen variety. I also make my own mix (fresh squeezed lemon juice, lime juice, zest of both, and some sugar or agave nectar to cut the tartness. Steep overnight, strain out the zest.) For variety, I sometimes add pureed fruit, such as raspberries, or Goya mango nectar.

Another summer favorite is Absolut Currant with tonic and a lemon slice. Very refreshing.

Rusty Nail - I love Drambuie, and Scotch and Drambuie are great together. I usually make it with blended Scotch, but lately I've been experimenting with single-malt Scotch, with just a touch of Drambuie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back