What's your computer audio set up?
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #16 of 38
What is the Audirvana app like ? Is it a dedicated music playing app ?

Am curious as to how the Topping (and other Chinese) DAC performs, too. How do you find it ?

Monitor Audio are a good choice of loudspeaker, rarely if ever been disappointed by them, quality drivers and a quality finish, usually, with a fair choice of veneers, very nice indeed.

So Audirvana will interface with Tidal and Qobuz as well as integrate in your local files and then enters in an Exclusive mode (WASAPI, ASIO, or Kernal) with your DAC to bypass windows resampling your files to 48khz (or making you constantly change that setting). Then it also allows you to add in upsampling, digital signal processing through VST3 plugins (like a parametric EQ plugin or a tube harmonic plugin) if you want. It also has a smartphone remote control app so I can sit on the chair away from the computer and still control my music. For an extra $6 a month its a great thing.

For the Dac my Geshelli isn't Chinese, it's made in the US actually. I do have some Chinese DACs however and they work fine, but the J2 is fantastic. The Topping L70 is my headphone amp and preamp and it is fantastic, I absolutely adore it for its features and price. However I will note that specific unit has a very low input impedance so it will not pair well with some input sources that have a high output impedance like say a Denfrips Ares DAC.

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #17 of 38
Ah ok, I thought the Topping was a DAC, am unfamiliar with exact model number and specifics tbh.
Haven't really had the chance to listen to any of the offerings from China regards DACs or H/P amps and have been put off with some of the oscilloscope readings I have seen specifically referring to the DACs here. Although I am open to trying them.

Geshell. Haven't heard of them tbh. What spec's does it have ? Is it this item that you say has the low input impedance ? Piqued my curiosity tbh, going to have to pull them up on the 'net and take a look.

Audirvana software sounds nice from what you've described, especially minimising in resampling settings. Personally I usually leave FooBar native set unless I want/need specific up/downsampling for a specific source file/output so I would appreciate software that handles this better, Audirvana aounds like it could be it. How much does Audirvana cost ?

(Not sure if you've heard of these they are also a US brand, BURL ? They make absolutely superb DAC's amongst other audio components, fantastic sound quality).

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 38
Ah ok, I thought the Topping was a DAC, am unfamiliar with exact model number and specifics tbh.
Haven't really had the chance to listen to any of the offerings from China regards DACs or H/P amps and have been put off with some of the oscilloscope readings I have seen specifically referring to the DACs here. Although I am open to trying them.

Geshell. Haven't heard of them tbh. What spec's does it have ? Is it this item that you say has the low input impedance ? Piqued my curiosity tbh, going to have to pull them up on the 'net and take a look.

Audirvana software sounds nice from what you've described, especially minimising in resampling settings. Personally I usually leave FooBar native set unless I want/need specific up/downsampling for a specific source file/output so I would appreciate software that handles this better, Audirvana aounds like it could be it. How much does Audirvana cost ?

(Not sure if you've heard of these they are also a US brand, BURL ? They make absolutely superb DAC's amongst other audio components, fantastic sound quality).

This is the Geshelli J2S: https://geshelli.com/product/jnog2-socketed-j2s/ . I have the 4499 version with Sparkos 3602 opamps on the XLR circuit. As far as specs it has reasonable measurements but nothing worldbeating, and the featureset isn't exactly jam packed. There's no remote or volume control or display, so if those things are requirements this might not be the unit for you. The soundstage is insanely wide though, I love it for that.

This is not the unit with the impedance problem, that would be the Topping L70 headphone amp which is still only a problem with certain pairings. It works completely fine with my Geshelli and I think the Geshelli should pair fine with any piece of kit you wanted.

Audirvana studio is $7 a month or $70 a year. Also worth noting they have a 30 day free trial so by all means feel free to try it out, doesn't even require a credit card to sign up for the trial which is refreshing.

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 38
Ah so Audirvana does have try before buy option. Good news, had a brief look but didn't see that listed.
Does sound like a decent piece of software from what was described, minimisation of circuit paths inside the computer by bypassing the mixer section (gaining resolution qualities in the process) sounds good. If I am totally honest I don't like the subscription system although many audio software companies have been going down this road for a while (Reason springs to mind). Maybe there will be benefits, who knows.

Sparkos op amps, did you install these yourself or are they standard kit ? Again I've not heard of (don't follow certain aspects as I once did) this brand. Are they a small manufacturer offering specific products for a specific customer company ? Think I saw another company offering nice trick sounding op amps recently, about $60 a piece for an 8pin single channel op amp, TL compatiable.

I hear what you're saying regards measurements, sometimes fantastic sounding kit has what some would say are 'bad numbers' when measured but to the ears they sound fantastic which is what matters. That wide sound stage does sound inviting I have to admit.
How are they with detail seperation down low ? Can you follow rhythm nicely or ? The BURLs I mentioned are probably the best I have ever heard in this respect and this carries on right up through the frequency range but at 2200 are a bit pricey.

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #21 of 38
Also I see your Geshell uses the AK DAC, excellent sounding DAC too. The Geshell is written up as a giant killer. I would like to see it compared to a BURL B2 Bomber, would be an interesting fight by the sounds.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 38
CD Collection (2700+) ripped to my WD NAS in FLAC. JRiver Media Center for local file playback. Plex/Plaxamp for streaming to phone and car. Having just bought a Denafrips setup - Iris DDC, Pontus II 12th-1 DAC, and Artemis HPA (Headphone Amp), this is what my system around my PC looks like...

PC-Audio-System.jpg

Leff side of monitor - Denafrips Iris DDC (top), Teac UD-503 DAC/Headphone amp (bottom). Right of monitor, Artemis Headphone amp (top), Pontus II DAC (mid), and Rotel RDC-1072 CD player. Headphones are Sennheiser HD800S. Speakers are Audioengine A5+ Active speakers, plus S8 Sub (under desk). Speakers/sub run off the Teac.

PC to Iris DDC via USB. Iris to Teac via S/PDIF cable; also, Iris to Pontus II via I2S cable. Rotel to Pontus via S/PDIF cable; Pontus to Artemis via XLR cables. PC files play through both Teac and Pontus courtesy of Iris DDC. For streaming my music collection, that's done through Plex server/Plexamp to phone to car. And since my Samsung TV also supports Plex, I can stream music to it as well, which is then output to my Bose soundbar and sub :relaxed:

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #23 of 38
Setup is on my sig (click)...

2moKJAQ.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 38
MSI Meg Ace motherboard (line out) -> Cavalli Liquid Fire -> HE1000v2
The computer is equipped with 7950X3D and RTX4090 so I wouldn't call it a great source, but I do enjoy gaming on it.

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #25 of 38
A bit of a rookie question, but I don't know much about computer options:

I have 200GB of music on my laptop. My understanding is that if I wanted to move that music off my laptop, I could do something like a stand-alone unit, like an Eversolo or (something I just learned about) a NAS?

Does anyone know of a resource, site, article, or anything that can inform me about how to store and manage music files away from my laptop's hard drive?

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #26 of 38
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #27 of 38
I'm using a Macbook Pro as my music server. My music server apps are Audirvana and Qobuz. Using a Synology DS1515+ for storage (not shown). I going into a W4S Remedy and then into a W4S uLink with a coax out to my W4S DAC. I'm using a Granite Audio preamp for my WA22 and a Clearaudio Solution turntable (not shown). Power regulation is with a PS Audio P12.

I like Audirvana for my music as it plays well with the Mac. It also connects to Qobuz which has the jazz I like and I can access my playlists from there. I'll use Qobuz for finding music and purchasing.

MikeComputerAudio.jpg

Mar 20, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #28 of 38
A bit of a rookie question, but I don't know much about computer options:

I have 200GB of music on my laptop. My understanding is that if I wanted to move that music off my laptop, I could do something like a stand-alone unit, like an Eversolo or (something I just learned about) a NAS?

Does anyone know of a resource, site, article, or anything that can inform me about how to store and manage music files away from my laptop's hard drive?
I demoed a set of Yamaha YH-5000 headphones at my dealer six weeks ago and they supplied an Eversolo DMP-A6 along with a McIntosh MHA200. I loaded the Eversolo with my own tracks on USB plus played with its features and sources. Very easy, dare I say intuitive to use, and paired with the McIntosh a very good sound... I own an MHA200 that is most often fed by a Naim Uniti Core Server. IMHO local storage of your best music trumps all other formats. I suggest do a little nosing around and maybe download some Eversolo literature and manuals. Depending on your overall goals one of their products checks a lot of boxes... A network server is certainly the best money I have spent on this hobby... being as it allows you to do almost anything with any device on your network. Storing and managing your music is easy peasy via smart apps. Whatever you choose making sure apps or software are available for your phone/tablet/computer is essential.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #29 of 38
I demoed a set of Yamaha YH-5000 headphones at my dealer six weeks ago and they supplied an Eversolo DMP-A6 along with a McIntosh MHA200. I loaded the Eversolo with my own tracks on USB plus played with its features and sources. Very easy, dare I say intuitive to use, and paired with the McIntosh a very good sound... I own an MHA200 that is most often fed by a Naim Uniti Core Server. IMHO local storage of your best music trumps all other formats. I suggest do a little nosing around and maybe download some Eversolo literature and manuals. Depending on your overall goals one of their products checks a lot of boxes... A network server is certainly the best money I have spent on this hobby... being as it allows you to do almost anything with any device on your network. Storing and managing your music is easy peasy via smart apps. Whatever you choose making sure apps or software are available for your phone/tablet/computer is essential.
Thank you- I've been researching the Eversolo A6. It looks like a stand-alone solution and I'm not seeing any downside. It may be quirky to search local files and Spotify using their app on my phone, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So when you demoed it, you transferred your own music files via USB? From your laptop or thumb drive? Just curious about how you tested the unit.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #30 of 38
Thank you- I've been researching the Eversolo A6. It looks like a stand-alone solution and I'm not seeing any downside. It may be quirky to search local files and Spotify using their app on my phone, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So when you demoed it, you transferred your own music files via USB? From your laptop or thumb drive? Just curious about how you tested the unit.
Used a thumb style USB drive that has good quality files. The drive is normally used in my car. Also tried some tracks that were stored on the unit, and some streaming. Main focus was on my files that I know well. Loved the headphones and would be looking very hard at the Eversolo but my needs in that area have already been met. Never knew about them until that demo. Add a reasonable size SSD or just use the USB input and one would be set for the long haul. The unit has a good display and menu system so using an app is for convenience so you can sit back and enjoy. Apps are superior to remotes if you are at a distance from the unit. I only used the built in display and menu during my demo. Very slick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back