What's your computer audio set up?
Feb 29, 2024 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

skhan007

1000+ Head-Fier
I have significant FOMO, so I'm curious how people are organizing/enjoying their audio. Looking for ideas for how I can improve my experience or to confirm that what I'm doing is adequate.

Me:
  • 16/44.1 ALAC files: Ripped cd's on MacBook Pro M2 and played on Apple Music (not streaming)
  • High-res files (24/48 and higher) FLAC files played on Colibri, an app on my MacBook
  • Streaming on Spotify, but may upgrade to Quobuz or Tidal. Undecided.
  • All into my RME ADI-2 DAC, various amps, and various headphones
I'm exploring and trying to decide if I'll appreciate/benefit from high-res streaming and possibly Roon. Don't know if there's a better way to experience my music files other than my laptop set up.

What's your set up?

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 38
historically i started with roon core on your mac. then get a music server roon core. go ahead download play high res, but apple lossless converted to flac say by alias, is just fine as well. stream through your server. There's tons of companies, roon offers there own server...

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 38
Music database on PC (+ backup on external HDD) and mirrored on Fiio M11s
High-res files (>= 24) and 44.1khz 16 bit FLAC
Used software: Tidal HiFi Plus / MusicBee / Equalizer APO & Peace
Fiio K11BT connected to PC and used with different headphones / IEMs

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 38
16- and 24-bit ALAC stored on external SSD --> M1 Pro Macbook Pro (using Colibri music player app because it has automatic sample rate switching) --> USB-C to USB-B direct from MBP to Denafrips Iris 12th DDC --> digital coax (RCA) to Schiit Bifrost 2/64 --> XLR to Schiit Jotunheim 2

This is a setup I don't use much. My "goal" was to have a rig I can appreciate when I do use it while also not constantly Jones'ing for "upgrades"...... LOL, yeah, riiiiight...having said that, I am mulling over the idea of getting a Schiit Mjolnir 3 amp (probably not very likely though) and a Mac Mini to use as a headless music streamer (operated from my MBP & iPhone using screen sharing) so I can remove my MBP from the chain (this is much more likely to happen).

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 38
16- and 24-bit ALAC stored on external SSD --> M1 Pro Macbook Pro (using Colibri music player app because it has automatic sample rate switching) --> USB-C to USB-B direct from MBP to Denafrips Iris 12th DDC --> digital coax (RCA) to Schiit Bifrost 2/64 --> XLR to Schiit Jotunheim 2

This is a setup I don't use much. My "goal" was to have a rig I can appreciate when I do use it while also not constantly Jones'ing for "upgrades"...... LOL, yeah, riiiiight...having said that, I am mulling over the idea of getting a Schiit Mjolnir 3 amp (probably not very likely though) and a Mac Mini to use as a headless music streamer (operated from my MBP & iPhone using screen sharing) so I can remove my MBP from the chain (this is much more likely to happen).
I use Colibri as well, but only for my hi-res audio. I have hundreds of ripped CD's (16/44.1) on Apple Music. Do you find it difficult to keep all your music on Colibri, as it doesn't have much by way of organization/display/sorting options? I like it better than Apple, due to the sample rate switching feature, but haven't found a way to organize and sort without clicking and dragging things around.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 38
I use Colibri as well, but only for my hi-res audio. I have hundreds of ripped CD's (16/44.1) on Apple Music. Do you find it difficult to keep all your music on Colibri, as it doesn't have much by way of organization/display/sorting options? I like it better than Apple, due to the sample rate switching feature, but haven't found a way to organize and sort without clicking and dragging things around.
I still use macOS Music app to manage my library; Colibri is pretty useless, IMO, for that purpose, BUT, I do really like to use it for music playback....but yeah, it isn't super convenient for some things like moving things around in the currently playing playlist.

I got Colibri when it was only $10, man that was only like a year ago. Apparently it's gone up to $20, but even at that price, it's a big bargain for macOS users, IMHO. That said, if I used this setup significantly more, I'd pony-up for a Audirvana Origin (no streaming services) license. I did use a trial of that a year ago and really liked it. I just don't feel like paying ~$120 every couple years (maybe not that often, but my guess is that's how often one would need to buy a new license) for something I just don't use that much.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 38
I pretty much only stream from Spotify. I've considered Tidal/Qoobuz for lossless, but Spotify Connect is so damn convenient and I have so many playlists on Spotify I'd have to redo so I haven't made the jump yet at least. The sound quality increase is negligible to me anyway.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 38
I pretty much only stream from Spotify. I've considered Tidal/Qoobuz for lossless, but Spotify Connect is so damn convenient and I have so many playlists on Spotify I'd have to redo so I haven't made the jump yet at least. The sound quality increase is negligible to me anyway.
I'm in the exact same boat.

Mar 15, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 38
Using an AMD based p.c. built myself using as many low noise hardware components as possible (when built), Cooler Master Silencio full size AT case, Cooler Master silencio psu with a Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 mobo, AMD FX8350 at 5GHz with 32GB RAM, ASUS RX570 04G graphics, a Creative ZXR with daughter board (Not using the extra headphone/microphone dongle thing) seperate to the 24/192kHz on board audio processing, these get fed into a Pioneer VSX cinema amp (ESS Sabre DAC with line level pre-outs that can feed the Mackie's direct through their alternative RCA inputs) with KEF KHT2005 satellites and sub (modified amplifier on board the sub).

The ZXR has the option to change op-amps easily if needed to tailor sound quality so have some BurrBrown 27's and NS opamps on hand, I forget the NS opamps model numbers, they are a five digit model and not the usual 5532/4s or TL071/72 types.

Also a Focusrite 6i6 via USB at 24/88.2 or 96kHz, feeding a pair of Mackie HR624's via balanced XLR out's. The Mackie's have had a few mod's in the power supply department, decoupling and main reservoirs done myself. The Pioneer mentioned above can also be fed from the Focusrite, or direct from whichever analogue or digital out chosen on the mobo, ZXR or network.

Foobar v1.6 with DSD/SACD playback option via ASIO or WASAPI. Usual up/downsampling options depending on which outputs are being used. Full native DSD/LPCM/WAV options to Pioneer via HDMI or network connection. Also FLAC, AIFF, m4a, MP3 etc via various ouputs.

Neutron music player, from Samsung S9 for portable duties, through UPnP to either main outputs, Focusrite or Pioneer if used at home. Best music app, imho, after trying them all, semi clunky interface easily gotten used to and it has some decent options regards sound tweaks - selectable oversampling, 32/64bit processing (dependent on source file etc), dithering, direct DSD out or DoP and upsampling to 768kHz via offboard USB DAC if you want that. Also the progeammable, up to 50 band, parametric (or standard) eq is pretty handy. 30 bands is enough for my needs though once all frequencies have been chosen and saved.

Home made headphone amplifier using paralleled BJT's in class A mode feeding AKG K701pro, Beyerdynamic DT880 or Sony 7506 pro's.
AKG K376, AKG K476 Pioneer SH 5's, Sony MDR EX650AP direct to Samsung S9 or through headphone amp.

Various interconnects by IXOS, QED, Van den Hul, Audioquest and Cable Talk (collected over time). These do standard analogue, 75ohm SPDIF, TOSLINK optical or HDMI duties.
QED silver speaker cables.
Home made fully shielded IEC power cables.
Home made and designed multi oultet (x8), multi ampere rated per outlet power supply filter, 32kVA total power available at 240Vac. Double isolated.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 38
KEEP IT SIMPLE:

I just got a FiiO KA17 (dongle). Using the FAST filter. High Gain. EQ off. 4.4mm balanced out. (Tidal, Win11), driving Meze 109Pro, and Audeze LCD-XC. Desktop mode on.

iFi iUSB Power provides clean 5V for the KA17.

A very pleasing sound profile. My old ears appreciate the Sabre touch of brightness

Attachments

• IMG_5224.jpeg
    IMG_5224.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 38
You can export/import playlists using Soundiz

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 38
For my PC audio I stream Tidal Hifi Plus through the Audirvana application which is using WASAPI over USB to my Geshelli J2S 4499EX. From there I feed XLR out to my Topping L70 which I use as both a headphone amp and a preamp for my Akitika GT-102 power amp, this feeds into my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 5g bookshelf speakers. Headphones I run a few flavors depending on mood. Hifiman HE400se, Fiio FT3, and Thieaudio Ghost get the most use in this station.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 38
KEEP IT SIMPLE:

I just got a FiiO KA17 (dongle). Using the FAST filter. High Gain. EQ off. 4.4mm balanced out. (Tidal, Win11), driving Meze 109Pro, and Audeze LCD-XC. Desktop mode on.

iFi iUSB Power provides clean 5V for the KA17.

A very pleasing sound profile. My old ears appreciate the Sabre touch of brightness
How do you find the Windows operating system with regards it's audio options ? I ask as I found Windows10 highly restrictive even when using my own kit to produce my own material.

What are the FiiO dongle's like (is this your DAC/headphone out) ?
Am not sure what MeZe109 pro is/are, so need to look these up as well as the Audeze

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 38
For my PC audio I stream Tidal Hifi Plus through the Audirvana application which is using WASAPI over USB to my Geshelli J2S 4499EX. From there I feed XLR out to my Topping L70 which I use as both a headphone amp and a preamp for my Akitika GT-102 power amp, this feeds into my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 5g bookshelf speakers. Headphones I run a few flavors depending on mood. Hifiman HE400se, Fiio FT3, and Thieaudio Ghost get the most use in this station.

What is the Audirvana app like ? Is it a dedicated music playing app ?

Am curious as to how the Topping (and other Chinese) DAC performs, too. How do you find it ?

Monitor Audio are a good choice of loudspeaker, rarely if ever been disappointed by them, quality drivers and a quality finish, usually, with a fair choice of veneers, very nice indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back