What's wrong with the Grado 325?
Mar 3, 2007 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

BigJohn

100+ Head-Fier
He Dudes/Dudettes...
icon10.gif

Maybe I should be reading (even) more threads and posts already posted here, but I’m taking a shortcut if you don’t mind…
tongue.gif

I am currently listening to an Audio Technica ATH-W1000.
I heard that phone for the first time at the meet in Terneuzen the 4th of February this year, and since I liked it a lot, I was very happy with the opportunity to lend them for a few weeks and try them out (again thank you hoosterw!)
wink.gif

While I was doing a lot of music listening through the A.T. ATH-W1000, I couldn’t help but keep wondering how it would compare to the Grado 325 and the RS2.
I’ve had those Grado’s a few weeks ago for auditioning, and they made a very good impression on me, was it not that I thought I needed a closed pair of headphones at that time…
Now I’m not so sure anymore…
Contrary to my woman I really like the Grado’s for the way they sound.
My woman likes ‘m too, but she finds the A.T. ATH-W1000 sounds somewhat warmer overall (although she also commented on the fact that Eric Clapton’s guitar on his Unplugged cd sounds better on the Grado’s)
rs1smile.gif

I understand that the Grado 325 without the “ i “(improved) is not so well liked among you Head-Fi’ers.
What are exactly the improvements that the “ i ” version has over the original 325?
I happen to like the 325 a lot and am wondering if it would be wise to buy a 325 instead of a 325i…
Not that I’m ready to buy yet, there’s the RS2 and the A.T. ATH-W1000 to consider, and before I make a decision I want to listen to them some more

[size=large][size=x-large]Bottom line question; "What's wrong with the Grado 325?!"
[/size][/size]

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 47
IIRC the problem with original SR325 was the lack of deep bass, EVEN FOR GRADO which are not even known for their bass. I might remember wrong.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC the problem with original SR325 was the lack of deep bass, EVEN FOR GRADO which are not even known for their bass. I might remember wrong.

That could be a valid reason I guess.
I'm really not a bass head like some people here.
That's one of the reason's I liked the A.T. ATH-W1000 so much after listening to other closed cans like for example the Beyer DT-770.
At home I listen to (mini) monitors wich very often sound way better than full range loudspeakers in our little European/Dutch living rooms.
Maybe that's why I'm somewhat bass shy...
plainface.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-large]It Sucks Ass![/size]

That remark opens up the way to a whole new group of potential customers for Grado I guess...
gs1000.gif

I never tried that out...
confused.gif

Don't know if my local dealer would be as willing to lend me they're headphones if they knew I would test them on "sucking ass" though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Maybe you can expect a phonecall from John Grado one of these day's, asking you how they can even improve they're phones sucking your ass.
biggrin.gif

A very valid remark that I shall take in account when I decide wich headphone I will eventualy buy, thank you very much!
wink.gif

LMAOROTF
rs1smile.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 47
Btw - are you sure, those 325s you're listening to are not the 325is?
And if you do enjoy the Grado sound: nothing's wrong at all or rather the question could be - what's wrong with the people who do not like Grados?
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw - are you sure, those 325s you're listening to are not the 325is?
And if you do enjoy the Grado sound: nothing's wrong at all or rather the question could be - what's wrong with the people who do not like Grados?
wink.gif

Yep, without the i...
Allu colour instead of bronze...

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 47
I used to have the 325 for 1 day because a seller sent me the wrong headphone. To me, they sound pretty good when I first put them on. Very energetic. However after about 15 minutes, my ear started to hurt because of the excessive brightness. Never experience such headache with treble heavy headphones like the DT880, DT990, and ER4ps.

Tried to adjust to these but to no avail. Maybe that brightness kept many people from liking them. If your ears can withstand the brightness then I think it is a pretty decent headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 47
Looks like I'm not so alone with my opinion as I thought...
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 47
I have had RS-1s and am hopefully about to buy some 325s - the RS-1s were really great but I couldn't justify keeping them with the amount of listening I do. FWIW my only critisism was that the bass was a tad light for my liking. I like the Grado sound and tried out some 325s - again a little "dry" but to my taste more dynamic and real - I'm not fond of "deep cuddly" bass!
Listen and don't be put off.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 47
I have had RS-1s and am hopefully about to buy some 325s - the RS-1s were really great but I couldn't justify keeping them with the amount of listening I do. FWIW my only critisism was that the bass was a tad light for my liking. I like the Grado sound and tried out some 325s - again a little "dry" but to my taste more dynamic and real - I'm not fond of "deep cuddly" bass!
Listen and don't be put off.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 47
NOTHING IT'S PERFECT ...

...Just kidding.

You have to understand the 325i is a strange and demanding creature.

It demands the best source, the best amp and source material.

The 325i is actually used around the world as a studio headphone
for mastering and mixing (just do a google search) apparently they sound alot like genelec monitors?

The highs are only bright if you have a bright amp and/or source material etc.

The only thing I can think of thats wrong, and this is nitpicking here,

is that the soundstage is much less than k501.

and also it doesn't stay on my head very well .

Other than that, they are perfect (for me)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back