What's the pros of using a 'twisted' cable?
May 5, 2010 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dameos

New Head-Fier
I see that high-end IEMs usually have their cables twisted. What's the reason behind it? Does it really perform better than normal sleeved cables?

Thanks.

May 5, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Reduces electrical noise/interference and microphonics. Ideally you want wires running perpendicular to each other. Don't be fooled though, a thicker, straighter cable can be a lot more complex than a twisted pair by far, you just wont see whats going on inside.

May 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Purely to prevent interference. Sleeved cables are twisted inside as well you'll find. Inside that you'll find the wire is twisted too.

May 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Wouldn't twisted cables create some capacitance between the two? Maybe a question better asked in the science sub-forum...

May 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 7
the cables on my JH13's never get tangled...ever. The cabe on my old SE530's...well
ph34r.gif

May 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Wouldn't twisted cables create some capacitance between the two? Maybe a question better asked in the science sub-forum...

Nothing to worry about if the cable isn't tens or hundreds of meters long (and maybe wound up) and don't forget that the drivers' impedance consists of resistance, inductance and capacitance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back