Whats the limits of what you would eat?
Feb 23, 2008 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Duggeh

Indeed
Perhaps apt that a chap from the land of haggis and black pudding should ask but...

Whats the point at which you'd have to say "no" to a food? I myself have no problem eating veal or sweetbreads. I've never had bulls testicle but I'd give it a go, and I'd be happy enough to try even dog or cat, although I wouldn't want to go to Korea just for that.

Eels? Yum. Raw scallop? Delicious, if odd.

Snake? Alligator? African endangered albino rhino? Bring them on, pass the mustard.

Giant spiders, or scorpion or grubs or worms and things though, no chance at all. Nothing creepy crawly, thats where my line lies. Obviously I wouldn't be keen on the human flesh idea either. I think I might find an exception to that for Hugh-Fernley Whittingstalls placenta pate though.

What about you guys?

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snake? Alligator? African endangered albino rhino? Bring them on, pass the mustard.

Already had the first two (they both taste like chicken), and the third would be awesome but hard to procure.

Strangest thing I've eaten is this Cuban dish consisting entirely of fat & bones, no idea what animal that stuff came from. I managed to eat a little though, tasty but horrible texture, and that's coming from a guy who loves sushi.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 42
Mämmi. That's where I draw the line.

mmmipc1.jpg

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 42
No testicles, brains, or anything slimy.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 42
The Norwegian dish Smalahove. Roasted lamb head, where you eat everything. Including the eyeball..

smalahove_served.jpg

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Norwegian dish Smalahove. Roasted lamb head, where you eat everything. Including the eyeball..

Correction to my previous post: I would eat mämmi if it spared me from eating smalahove.

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 42
hmm that looks pretty good. (the Mammi)

I won't eat anything with the eyes still it, or a Linda McCartney Vegetarian "Sausage"

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 42
I have eaten many a "delicacy" more out of politeness to my hosts.... yes including worms but drew the line when faced with a sheep head sliced sagittally for brain. I am not sure if it was the images from Indiana Jones or the thought that I may end up running wildly in a field rubbing my nose on a fence but I just couldn't do it. That said , not sure if I could do the spider thing either (am a bit of an arachnophobe) . For me it has more to do with taste and textures and as I really enjoy food, it has to be an ejoyable experience regardless of what it is..dB

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 42
I'm far too picky to eat anything even remotely strange. Generally the only time I end up eating something unusual is when I'm with company and it would be rude to refuse it, like when my aunt and uncle ordered me some chicken feet for me in a Taiwanese restaurant, with the bones still in it
tongue.gif
Even so, I'd still draw the line far before the cooked lambs head. Sea cucumber and baby birds are also a definite "no".

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
baby birds are also a definite "no".

You mean the incredible, edible egg? I eat scrambled baby birds all the time!

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mämmi. That's where I draw the line.

mmmipc1.jpg

What's so bad about it? From Wikipedia:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Mämmi (pronounced [ˈmæmmi]) is a Finnish traditional Easter dessert, a malt porridge which is baked in an oven. It is made of water, malt and rye flour and is dark brown in appearance. The Swedish name for it is memma.

Spices such as Bitter orange peel, syrup or molasses and orange rind are often added. After the exposure to heat and several days of storage in the refrigerator, small quantities of generated alcohol often result within the puddinglike condiment. This is not considered a fault.

Mämmi is consumed cold, either bare or with added sugar and/or milk or cream.

Emphasis added. I love those little snippets of personality you sometimes see in Wikipedia descriptions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back