What's the deal with MF?
Feb 6, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #46 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
My experience goes beyond the X-can V2, and V3. You would literally have to ask me what Musical Fidelity products I haven’t heard beings there is a dealer less than 45 minutes away from my house.

This is what you wrote:

"Musical Fidelity isn’t respected around these parts, because their headphone amplification doesn’t hold a candle in comparison to other amplification in its price range."

You can be speaking only of the X-Can in this context, and few on THIS FORUM will even agree with you there.
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
On not so good cds, I actually prefer my integrated amp to drive my HD 650. It sounds more listenable, the Xcan exposes all the crap stuff
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yep, a good amp will do that and won't varnish over the cracks or present the music through rose tinted spectacles..... if you want everything to sound mediocre but acceptable you'll really have to buy an amp that has built in colouration that masks / underemphasises the finer detail.

As with all equipment though it's garbage in / garbage out..... you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If it's a crap recording the amplifier will only amplify that crap, it won't make it sound any better. If it's a "good" recording you're laughing.

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #49 of 81
I considered X-can V3 too until i read these forums and ppl here said its crap.. so you are saying its not?
smily_headphones1.gif

Well its loved by stereophile but then again in vhp-1 review i got feeling that seems because its good studio recording amp only??

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #50 of 81
I can't wait to get an MF XCanV3 with all the mods that PinkFloyd has done to his including PSU and valves. Then I will use it as my bedside amp.

Of course I will first compare with my current favorite tube headphone amp, the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD100. If it is even remotely close I will be very happy. Of course if it is better then I would need a 2nd XCanV3 (my wallet is dead) for my primary listening station.

This hobby is sure getting expensive, but I would not have it any other way.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
So, let me get this straight, just because something on this forum is not "popular" or being bought like hot cakes means it must automatically be "no good"? I don't go with the herd and use my own ears to judge what's good and what's bad. I certainly don't judge an amps abilities by its popularity in this place, I'll leave that kind of thing to the sheep / FOTM brigade who use other peoples ears / opinions to make their choices.

People are sheep. Someone once said (y'all look it up) "Beware when all men speak well of you..."

We don't simply want to make good decisions, we want to make decisions that are thought well of by others. Teenagers aren't the only ones susceptable to peer preasure!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Nice avatar marcm09! Looks like you've got the same amp as me, the same knob, the same table and the same back garden
wink.gif

Perhaps he bought them from the same store as you
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #54 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
People are sheep. Someone once said (y'all look it up) "Beware when all men speak well of you..."

We don't simply want to make good decisions, we want to make decisions that are thought well of by others. Teenagers aren't the only ones susceptable to peer preasure!
rolleyes.gif

To say the least, the sheep on this forum are amusing. Their biggest problem is that they're followers but that they follow anonymous posters who make grand statements that sometimes go against respected opinions of reputable people who actually have names (re: my signature).
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #56 of 81
a couple of points

- manufacturers (MF is by no means alone) make the argument that a $1.00 increase in a part cost must mean a $3, $4, or $5 increase in retail price. this is baloney, and consumers know it. it cost no more to solder a $5.00 BG cap than a $.25 generic. adding $20 to the price, bah. this is the main reason we turn to DIY: we can sub whatever, or all, parts for higher grade and still spend less.

- not everyone is enamoured of the 6922 for audio, no matter the circuit. comparison of the amps' circuits will lead one to the amp of one's preference. i like SE, and the 5751 as gain. but then, i've bought Mapletree amps. and while it may be first love syndrome, it could also be that: the 5751 is a really clean gain tube, the 12B4A a very linear output, and the Doctor ships very beefy OTs (although Sowter makes purpose built headphone units, albeit at about $150/each last i looked).

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #57 of 81
You're right, Robert. We all know that buying MF, Wadia, etc. means paying a premium for its name, but with the brand goes resale value, warranty, and quality. DIY will always be cheaper, but not everyone has the wherewithal or the time to get into projects like that.

With regards to the X-Can, it would be mighty difficult to build an amp around $300 in parts to rival it.

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #58 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
DIY will always be cheaper, but not everyone has the wherewithal or the time to get into projects like that.

With regards to the X-Can, it would be mighty difficult to build an amp around $300 in parts to rival it.

That's why you can commission DIY builders
eggosmile.gif

All this talk makes me wanna listen to the X-Can v3 again...

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #59 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
That's why you can commission DIY builders
eggosmile.gif

All this talk makes me wanna listen to the X-Can v3 again...

Which builders do you recommend? How much do they generally charge for their work? I'm very interested in a balanced tube amp, but there aren't any in the $1K range.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Which builders do you recommend? How much do they generally charge for their work? I'm very interested in a balanced tube amp, but there aren't any in the $1K range.

Are you being serious?

MisterX does fine work
biggrin.gif
They aren't charging much for labor, if at all, I suspect (unless they are members of the trade). There aren't many balanced amps period in the 1k range, let alone a balanced tube DIY type amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back