Whats the best Porcupine tree album?
Aug 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #31 of 40
I listened to some Porcupine Tree, And I really like it so I'm going to buy an album.

Problem is, which one? ATM I can get Voyage 34 and Up the Downstair really cheap. How good are they? Are there any better ones for first-time-listeners of progressive?
my choice is " Signify". Other bands worth exploring are Anglagard, Anekdoten and "red" era King Crimson.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #33 of 40
Nice to have a little walk down memory lane, huh?

So which one ended up being your favorite of theirs, if you still actually listen to them?

I've always enjoyed In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet the most.

If you haven't checked it out - Steve Wilson - Stories the Raven Refused to Sing is a fantastic prog album.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #34 of 40
Hard to pick one. But as the years go by I keep going back to Metanoia and it ages very well. One of my fave bands for sure.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #35 of 40
I realise this is an old thread, but I had to chime in. I've been listening to porcupine for years, since the release of Signify, thanks to a mate who worked in the local record store. I have nearly everything Steven Wilson has released, and for me every album has its merits and favourite track/tracks...but my all time fave if I had to pick one would be still be Signify, maybe because it was the first one I heard/owned...but they're all good IMO

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #36 of 40
I really love the remastered stuff with gavin Harrison on drums. it bring these albums to a higher level.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #37 of 40
I too like Porcupine Tree, favorite album of theirs for me would be probably Deadwing. I'm more into their heavier stuff though personally. Well recorded as well compared to a lot of stuff out there...

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #38 of 40
It's a toss up between Stupid Dream and In Absentia, with Deadwing coming in a close 3rd and Signify/Lightbulb Sun tying for 4th and 5th. Not as big a fan of what came before or after, but these 5 are excellent, a really impressive decade of output for any band.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #39 of 40
In Absentia and Deadwing are the only one's I've heard, and they are both amazing. I recommend you pick those up; not the proggiest of prog, but it's a good start.

Yes, quoting from over 7 years ago, but finally picked those two up today. Good stuff.

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #40 of 40
Agree with most of the peeps here Deadwing, Fear of the blank Planet, In Absentia, Stupid Dream, up the downstairs, nil recurring and for pure chilax - voyage 34 and the sky moved sideways

The dynamic range on a lot of these titles is extremely poor on the cd versions which I have.

There is one album download only which has good dynamic range "Atlanta" from burning shed way ahead of all the other titles except for the vinyl versions some of which are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back