What wire do you use for your P2P builds?
Jul 28, 2010 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

revolink24

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently in the middle of a P2P SSMH build, and I was hoping people could enlighten me on what wire you use in your amps, and where you can get it from.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 13
I only made my Crack in p2p, and it came with 3 solid-core 22 AWG wires: red (right channel) white (left channel) and black (power and ground). Now that I think of it, it might have been 20 AWG. Anyway, get 3 colours: it will be easier when assembled to identify what goes where.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 13
Anyone have any experience with the silver/teflon 22ga 19 strand wire at johnswireshop.com? Seems like a good value to me at about $5 per 25 foot spool.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 13
I buy my wire from there. He came highly recommended from a number of sources on this site. The quality is high, the price is fair and the service is excellent. I generally use 24 and 22 awg silver teflon stranded. Never know what colors he might have in stock, but, it can make for an interesting build that way!  :wink:

The teflon jacket is really, really nice! It can take the heat when soldering or tinning.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Do you know what gauge you normally use?

I think I use 22ga.

I have some superstitions and use different gauges for different things. If nothing else thinner wire is too limp to stay in place, and thicker wire is too thick to bend easily.

Quote:
Solid-core is a lot easier to work with on amps where you have some room.  22-24awg sounds pretty good for most applications, perhaps 20awg if you're working with high voltage tubes.

Until you start dealing with High currents you can use a thin gauge. The key is that the insulation dosnt break down due to exceeding the wires voltage or temperature rating. Some consideration should be given to durability, but as long as you tie the wires down or keep them nice and short this should not require much effort.

There are tables that give the maximum current to use a given gauge wire for. They are particularly important for figuring out what size wire to use for heater/filament supplies.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 13
I like solid core wire with Teflon. The Teflon is wonderful when your iron strays off course a bit. When I used PVC wire, I'd inevitably end up replacing several strands after accidentally touching them with the iron.

Jul 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for the link, MisterX, that was super helpful.

And I'm buying bulk wire now to save buying it later, I already have more amps planned.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 13
Unfortunately if I were to do that the price to get three colors would be insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back