What tips with IE8?
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #107 of 116
the zune premium bud tips seems to be a good fit for me; combining the treble, soundstage, comfort of the silicon tips together with the bass of the olives tips with a fit surpassing any of the stock tips.

May 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #109 of 116
How do the UE medium silicon tips compare to the stock tips? I'm currently switching between the stock medium silicon tips and the small bi-flange tips. I love the bass response with the single flange, but the vocals and the sense of soundstage on the bi-flange is almost surreal, and it really brings out the highs, however the problem is I lose a large amount of bass, even with the highest setting knobs. I like to feel the bass and I can't really get that with the double flanges. I've tried the sony hybrid tips and those were just ok.

May 20, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #110 of 116
I was missing the isolation of my S4's so I ordered Shure Olives and Complys as well.  I just tried the de-cored olives on my IE8's and they are not for me.  Unfortunately they tame the highs too much for me and I lost some of the soundstage.  I'm waiting for the Comply's to come, they should be here tomorrow.  I'm lucky enough that the medium size stock tips fit me well, but just lack the intimacy of the S4's. I'm starting to believe that that's part of the magic.

Just a tip for those having issues with fit: when inserting them into your ears, use two hands. Use one hand to gently pull your ear back and away from your head, that will open your ear canal a bit. Use the other hand to insert the monitor. It made a huge difference for me when I found this trick and now I get a good seal.  Give it a shot.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #111 of 116
I just got the olive tips and took out the cores and slapped the foams without the cores.  (actually my GF took the cores out...lol)  I just pushed back the foams to the tip and they stay there nicely and offer a nice seal as well.  The bass hits harder and the highs and detail still sound nice.  I got the med tips for this.  Im not sure about the Comply's but maybe ill try them out if I decide to get them to try out the mod.  

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #112 of 116
Ok I've got a tweak for you that helps the IE8 mate to different tips.   I used FTPE silicon plumbers tape (that thin white stretchy tape you put on pipes to seal them) around the stem of the IE8.  This thickens the stem a bit making a tighter fit.  I also changes the resonant frequency of the sound chamber inside the phone.  It makes the stock foam tips sound less thick and helps return treble sparkle.  

For the foam tips I use about a 6 inch piece that I fold lengthwise in half then wrap tightly around the stem.  

For the uncored Olive I use about 12 inches of tape folded in half lengthwise and wrap tightly.  The modded Olive has too much space in the core and is loose around the stem.   With the tape it is a much tighter seal, and they don't fall off as easily. It helps make the bass tighter and more dynamic and a bit deeper, the treble is better and the soundstage is bigger. 

I also suspect that this might improve any Comply tip on any headphone and make it sound less rolled off.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #113 of 116
Ah I see.  Ill have to give those specs a try.  Do you have any pics you could post up of the modded tips you made?  

Quote:
Ok I've got a tweak for you that helps the IE8 mate to different tips.   I used FTPE silicon plumbers tape (that thin white stretchy tape you put on pipes to seal them) around the stem of the IE8.  This thickens the stem a bit making a tighter fit.  I also changes the resonant frequency of the sound chamber inside the phone.  It makes the stock foam tips sound less thick and helps return treble sparkle.  

For the foam tips I use about a 6 inch piece that I fold lengthwise in half then wrap tightly around the stem.  

For the uncored Olive I use about 12 inches of tape folded in half lengthwise and wrap tightly.  The modded Olive has too much space in the core and is loose around the stem.   With the tape it is a much tighter seal, and they don't fall off as easily. It helps make the bass tighter and more dynamic and a bit deeper, the treble is better and the soundstage is bigger. 

I also suspect that this might improve any Comply tip on any headphone and make it sound less rolled off.

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #114 of 116
Here's a crappy pic of the silicone tape around the stem.

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #115 of 116
Only had the IE8 for a month and have not had much luck with tips. On a whim, I tried the RadioShack Auvio (on sale for $2.97) and they work great. Very comfortable and the sound has really opened up.I had tried these before on my Coppers, but the bass was overwhelming. The effect on the IE8 is more subtle.

Nov 28, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #116 of 116
Ah! thanks for the pics!  I was wondering what size is the foam buds?  I got the meds and after I decored them I just put them on my ie8 and they seemed to be pretty tight.  Im womdering if I'd need to get the small earbuds and decore them and than try to tape up the stems

Quote:
Ah I see.  Ill have to give those specs a try.  Do you have any pics you could post up of the modded tips you made?  

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back