What Should I Get: SRH840 vs ATH ESW9 vs DT 150 vs DT770/600 Ohm vs FA-003
Oct 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

csokane

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so currently, I have a set of Grado SR 225is being run out of my Denon AVR 2805 receiver (hooked up to my laptap via SPDIF to RCA port). The receiver was a hand me down, so I'm lucky to have it. It provides a better form of amplication than my soundcard or Zune. I love the awesome mid range of the Grados, and they make vocals sound amazing. But, even after having bent the headband and washed the pads, parts of ear are still sore after 15 minutes of listening, so I'm returning them to get another pair of cans. Also, my budget is $210 max.

Right now, I've narrowed my choices down to the 5 cans listed in the title. Based on the reviews I've read, the ATH ESW9s seemed like they'd have an ideal sound signature for me: strong, nice mids, deep, nicely extended bass, and well extended, pleasant highs. However, after my experience with the Grados, I'm still a bit iffy on purchasing another set of supra aural cans. There are some pretty conflicting reviews on the DT 150, but from what I've gleaned, they are nice all rounders, but I'm not completely sure about that. And last, the Beyer DT770/600 OHM seem great too, but again, a recessed midrange is holding me back.

Edit: Decided to add SRH840s to this, they seem like M50s with less thump and more mids.

Basically, I want some cans similar in sound to the Grados, but with better bass extension, and highs that are a little less shrills (the Grados were not shrill but I can't think of another word). I know that might be asking for too much in this price range, but I don't expect the depth and details of a HD800 or anything. Deep sounding bass, clear, up front vocals, not ear shattering highs, and comfort would be the selling points for me. I listen to a bit of everything, but my collection is mostly rock, instrumentals, sound tracks, and some rap and techno. Soundstaging really isn't a big deal since I haven't heard any cans with a huge soundstage anyway, but a moderate level of detail would be nice. For everybody who's going to recommend me an M50, I had them before my SR225is. They were amazing (and let me reiterate amazing) cans, but the bass sometimes pushed the midrange too far back. If any of the cans on my list were a better version of the M50s, I'd be tempted to spring for them. Also, feel free to mention any other cans not on this list, and again my budget is $210.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 18
You and I might like a very similar sound signature, but maybe not. Your reason for getting rid of the M50 is the same reason as mine. Yet they're still good, but not for everyone, well, most of them!

ESW9a was terrible to me. Probably my least favorite headphone. If you felt the bass was too much on the M50, I would not get them. The bass seemed to drown out everything else. Nothing on the ESW9a seemed natural to me and I did find the mids very recessed, yet some people say it's complete opposite. Vocals were a bit hard to hear. They're a well made headphone, but not all that comfortable to me and hurt the tips of my ears. The ES7 is worth trying instead and it's much cheaper and has less bass. ESW9 just seemed to try to annoy me as much as possible.

I also tried the DT-770 32 ohm. The bass was nice and not boomy and was very controlled, but the vocal quality wasn't good enough for me at all. I'm sure the 600 ohm version is much better.

HFI-680 is far better to my ears then either of them. Mids/vocals are still recessed a little. Even worse then the M50 (Which isn't too bad at all). HFI-680 wasn't comfortable for me, but the build quality was very good. Soundstage just seemed funny and not accurate.

DT-150 is on the way to me and I hope to try them next week. If I don't like them, it's safe to say i'm not a fan of most Beyer headphones.

I feel like a broken record suggesting this so much, but I ended up with the AKG k240 Studio. So far it's everything I want in a headphone. Here's a few things I like about it:

1. Lots of bass, but not too much and it's very well controlled. Not as bass heavy as people say.
  2. Great mids, maybe VERY slightly forward, vocal quality is excellent
  3. I don't find the highs rolled off, but maybe slightly. About the same as the SRH-840. Very non fatiguing
  4. Light and very comfortable. No clamping force.
  5. Good soundstage. Imaging is just "good", but not great.
  6. Everything seems accurate and natural. Drums sound amazing on these.
  7. Lots of detail, more then M50, but less then AD700 and DT-880 maybe
  8. Under $100
  9. Good for most every genre, especially classical, even bass heavy music!

It's far better then the above headphones i've tried. I'm a huge fan of my DJ100, but these are better for more of my music and I like the extra bass.
Only advantage my DJ100 has now is better mids, vocal quality and better imaging. That's about it!

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 18
Hey thanks for the awesome response. Even though this is for at home listening, I'm going to need a certain level of isolation, because cars are always going by my house, and the receiver/computer is positioned right next to the road. Also, speakers are playing often from the other room, so I'd want to block that too. The K240 seem really appealing though and I might get them after I look them up a bit. From what you've said, the 600 Ohm DT770 seems like it'd also be nice. I was strongly consider one of the Ultrasones, but I'm not so sure now.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 18
K271/272 is also worth a look. They're the closed version of the k240. I haven't tried them myself, but i've heard they have much less bass then the 240 and are more neutral, so that may not be what you want. They're around $160 though and I don't know why they're so much higher then the k240.

If you can try them out locally, maybe check into the SRH-840 too. They have a decent amount of bass, but are not bass heavy. I wouldn't buy them online since some people with small heads like me find them to have a poor fit. This is why I got the M50. It's not that the SRH-840 was uncomfortable, but that they  wouldn't stay on my head! I would have loved to keep them and be done with trying out new headphones. I liked them so much that I even tried the 750DJ hoping they'd have a better fit.

K240's isolation isn't great, but it's semi-open and not open. I have a loud computer and space heater running right now and I can't hear a thing with them on. I still probably wouldn't suggest them for noise isolation, but they're not too bad.

DT-770 600 ohm is maybe worth checking into first. I just think that I should have skipped the 32 ohm versions of the DT-880, 770 and 990 and went for the 250 or 600 ohm versions.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 18
Are you going to post impressions of the DT 150s? Also, I've read up on the K271s, and they might be too bass light for me. I've also seen a lot about the SRH840s, but some people find them to be pretty uncomfortable.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 18
I don't know how I did that, but I just confused the DT-150 with the DT-235. Just now realized this so forget what I said. I'm getting the 235 and I'm only going to use it as a cheap portable. Definitely not something you'd want! I only got it because it was around $50 and is supposed to sound pretty good for the price.

Quote:
Are you going to post impressions of the DT 150s? Also, I've read up on the K271s, and they might be too bass light for me. I've also seen a lot about the SRH840s, but some people find them to be pretty uncomfortable.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Ah alright. I've also been checking out the ATH A900s and they seem to have everything I want, but the highs also seem to sibilant and painful. Can anyone comment on this or toss me advice in general?

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 18
bump

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 18
bump

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 18
Hi

I see in your signature you also own the hd 600.
I sold my hd600 as I need some money, but  I miss a good home open headphones since my wife wants me to hear her when she talks to me.
I was thinking about the ad700 but what you write about the k 240 makes me wonder if it is not the best thing for me.
how open is the k 240 when compared to hd 600. I mean how much noise does it take in. Do you think that at low levelof music listening I'll be able to talk to my wife without lowering the volume?
How do you compare it to the hd 600?

Quote:
I don't know how I did that, but I just confused the DT-150 with the DT-235. Just now realized this so forget what I said. I'm getting the 235 and I'm only going to use it as a cheap portable. Definitely not something you'd want! I only got it because it was around $50 and is supposed to sound pretty good for the price.

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 18
bump come on guys

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 18
Add the Shure SH-440s to your list. The graphs say they have less bass than the 840s (though that was tested out of a high-end amp with a lot of power), but when I tested them they weren't a lot different to the 840s out of my Pico Slim.  Quite forward mids though, which you might like.  To deal with a lack of treble quality, if the headphones are good, the only way forward is a good DAC and amp, as the increase in quality and lowering of distortion will take care of that.  Other people deal with it by buying a cheap tube amp that rolls off the highs.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 18
Maybe consider the Phiaton MS300 or MS400. Both have excellent midranges with a touch of resonance, and the MS400 has a much stronger bass. Reviews of the MS300 say it sounds a lot like a closed Grado. My review of the MS400 says it feels like the anti-grado and kinda Senn-like in sound.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 18
The MS400 seem good, but they're out of my price range. Also, a lot of reviewers are saying that while sq is good, it's not up to price. The MS300 and SRH440 seem like good options though. I have this big receiver to power my cans. When I plugged in the M50 I previously owned, sq improved noticeably. At one point, it felt like a low cello note was extending endlessly into a backdrop. It sounded deep and nothing short of amazing.  I'd like to regain that, but increase vocal presence as well.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 18
Nothing has really similiar like Grado sound, magical midrange, pounchy bass with energic treble, I already try to find cans like Grado sound but more comfortable, and I just failed. SRh840 is a good can for sure, especially the midrange for vocal, with smooth treble and decent but tight bass. But you will a lack a bit of Fun Sounding that grado can offering. ESW9 is a good contender too if we talk about SQ, they have sweet vocal with smooth treble and thick bass. But comfort wise, both of them isn't really comfortable for me, SRH840 is better than ESW9 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back