What is your worst purchase? The purchase you regret the most?
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 24
Bought some Axiom M60 floorstanding speakers back many years ago when I still had money.
Probably cost me $1000-$1200 for the pair.

Found them to be painful to listen to and really way too bright sounding.
Hated them immediately and found my JBL Northridge tower speakers to sound much better.
Those were probably less than $250 each!

I ended up selling the Axiom speakers locally for probably less than half of what I paid.
Don't think I had them for more than a month.

Oh and of course the biggest mistake was ever buying a house.
I got something bigger than what I needed and had too high of an interest rate.
The recession hit right after I bought it and my income got chopped in HALF.
Luckily I didn't lose it but still had to sell it.
All my remodeling and improvements ended up being a waste of money too.
So yeah, that was a purchase I will easily regret my entire life.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #17 of 24
One time in 2017 I purchased a pair of RHA MA-650 IEMs yet after taking them out of the box I walked down the street and they fell out of my pocket never to be seen again.

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #18 of 24

In 2010 I purchased these Bose On-Ear. They were just simply called that at the time. They broke in a month but the Bose dealer was nice about an exchange program where you give them your broken headphone and some cash and they give you a new pair. The new pair only lasted a few months. Lol
Bose Triport was the most fragile built headphone I've ever used. The band broke so easily everytime I replaced it. Based on what I hear from others, I probably have the best luck in stuff not breaking (maybe I'm gentle with stuff) on me ( I never buy exptended warranty due to this), so Triport breaking just meant it was just really fragile.

In this hobby, what I hate is that there are so much monetary risks, and higher-end it is, greater the risk we face, and people like reviewers that get free samples just don't care about us being warned from bad valued products. People can get scewed big time with products.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #19 of 24
Bose Triport was the most fragile built headphone I've ever used. The band broke so easily everytime I replaced it. Based on what I hear from others, I probably have the best luck in stuff not breaking (maybe I'm gentle with stuff) on me ( I never buy exptended warranty due to this), so Triport breaking just meant it was just really fragile.

In this hobby, what I hate is that there are so much monetary risks, and higher-end it is, greater the risk we face, and people like reviewers that get free samples just don't care about us being warned from bad valued products. People can get scewed big time with products.

I remember the Triports were everywhere in 2010. It was funny as even then Bose was the most disliked brand around here. I basically purchased because I liked headphones and Bose was everywhere. There truly is a thing about a product being around to see and try. Bose was in Target, Bose has their own stores in malls. Bose convincingly tricked the public into thinking they were audiophile products.

I actually like big boomy non-audiophile signatures at times, so I liked the “On-Ears”........but they were delicate!

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #20 of 24
I remember the Triports were everywhere in 2010. It was funny as even then Bose was the most disliked brand around here. I basically purchased because I liked headphones and Bose was everywhere. There truly is a thing about a product being around to see and try. Bose was in Target, Bose has their own stores in malls. Bose convincingly tricked the public into thinking they were audiophile products.

I actually like big boomy non-audiophile signatures at times, so I liked the “On-Ears”........but they were delicate!
Hating on Bose and Beats were quite fashionable among audiophiles and it's more important to think about why and determine without any bias whether you think is justified or not.

At some point I realized Bose was around for a good reason. ANC, which was the reason why we see them so much of them in flights.

Looking back on products that were flavor of the months here, and I can say that just because a product gets hyped on a audiophile forum doesn't mean it's better than a consumer hype product.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #21 of 24
The ZMF Eikon. Number 1, I slightly overpaid for it and number 2, I would later find out that electrostatics are way more for me than the lusher, natural sound of ZMF headphones. I would have probably been happier spending that money on a good energizer or a different set of earspeakers. Ah well, they say it's about the journey not the destination.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #22 of 24
I started off my audiophile journey 15 years ago with the Westones and Shures and they do hold a special place in my heart, but with the influx of cheap and good CHIFI, I do hope these western companies stay competitive with their pricing and quality.
Do the western companies have their stuff made in china too? So now youre basically skipping the greedy middle-man. Go chifi!

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 24
The world of high measuring amps. I don't think i've ever heard a worse sounding amp than the drop THX. Listening to the hd800 I had at the time was dull and uninspiring in every way. I'm sure it measured well, though.

I never learn, though, as I picked up an equally well measuring SMSL m500 mk3 recently for my office, and almost immediately sold it at a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back