What is your worst purchase? The purchase you regret the most?
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

voja

500+ Head-Fier
I wondered what are your worst purchases and the ones that you regret the most.. the ones which you would time travel and not make.

You can mention audio related stuff or if you regret something so much in life then mention it *shrug*

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 24
I'll start off.
Investing around 900 eur in three pairs of "designer shoes" from Adidas in hopes that I will sell them and make some money.
I ended up selling one pair, and I am left with the other two.. I regret the purchase a lot, however a big lesson was learned from it :wink:

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 24
Fiio x7 mk2, lets just say ot was a downgrade in far more departments than anything else. Sold it for less than half price after just 3 months.

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 24
I honestly regret purchasing the Westone W30. I think it was around USD $400 at launch time.

The sound is good, quite audiophile tuned with good fit, isolation and techincals but that was before I discovered the world of CHIFI 2 - 3 years ago. I was a big Westone and Shure fanboy for many years prior to that, but there's stuff in CHIFI now that are 1/5 or even 1/10 of the price of the Westone W30 and can compete with it sound wise. I've even have cheaper CHIFI sets that surpass the Westone W30 in sound quality.
And to top it off, after around 2 years of usage, the Westone cable died. Luckily it was detachable so no biggies getting a new one, but my local official Westone distributor wanted to charge me $70 USD for a replacement cable. I got a 8 core copper cable for 1/10 of the price from aliexpress and it works fine till today. If I could turn back time, I would have saved the $400 USD to spam on multiple CHIFI sets LOL.

I started off my audiophile journey 15 years ago with the Westones and Shures and they do hold a special place in my heart, but with the influx of cheap and good CHIFI, I do hope these western companies stay competitive with their pricing and quality.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 24
Fiio x7 mk2, lets just say ot was a downgrade in far more departments than anything else. Sold it for less than half price after just 3 months.
That can't be fun. Nothing worse than buying some gear and it disappointing you, I'll take note of the x7 mk2.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 24
That can't be fun. Nothing worse than buying some gear and it disappointing you, I'll take note of the x7 mk2.
Indeed the worst thing is that, I first thought everything else was to blame(for how it all ended up) until madness receded and I admitted it was the x7mk2. That was making everything not better. That was my hardest hit-back purchase I have ever made. But hey I have learned my lesson. All I can do is give everyone the advice to research/research and research again, then listen to piece of audio gear before you decide to spend your hard earned pay on it. I am unlucky in that regard most of this type of gear is available only online here in Germany, so doing a lot lot of reading and comparing before deciding on anything.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 24
Indeed the worst thing is that, I first thought everything else was to blame(for how it all ended up) until madness receded and I admitted it was the x7mk2. That was making everything not better. That was my hardest hit-back purchase I have ever made. But hey I have learned my lesson. All I can do is give everyone the advice to research/research and research again, then listen to piece of audio gear before you decide to spend your hard earned pay on it. I am unlucky in that regard most of this type of gear is available only online here in Germany, so doing a lot lot of reading and comparing before deciding on anything.
In Serbia it's even worse. Well you had to go through that, a lesson was learned which means that it's not a worthless mistake, but rather a mistake which taught you something.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 24
I honestly regret purchasing the Westone W30. I think it was around USD $400 at launch time.

The sound is good, quite audiophile tuned with good fit, isolation and techincals but that was before I discovered the world of CHIFI 2 - 3 years ago. I was a big Westone and Shure fanboy for many years prior to that, but there's stuff in CHIFI now that are 1/5 or even 1/10 of the price of the Westone W30 and can compete with it sound wise. I've even have cheaper CHIFI sets that surpass the Westone W30 in sound quality.
And to top it off, after around 2 years of usage, the Westone cable died. Luckily it was detachable so no biggies getting a new one, but my local official Westone distributor wanted to charge me $70 USD for a replacement cable. I got a 8 core copper cable for 1/10 of the price from aliexpress and it works fine till today. If I could turn back time, I would have saved the $400 USD to spam on multiple CHIFI sets LOL.

I started off my audiophile journey 15 years ago with the Westones and Shures and they do hold a special place in my heart, but with the influx of cheap and good CHIFI, I do hope these western companies stay competitive with their pricing and quality.
I would give you a similar reply. If you never had bought the Westone and Shure, you probably wouldn't be here.. Chi-Fi probably would have never caught your attention. That's why the outcome is more important, at the end of the day you become a part of a nice community and probably learned a whole bunch of stuff that you wouldn't have if you hadn't made the big purchases early on.

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 24
HD598, for it is what got me started.. ha.

Actually though, either the Beyer dt-1990 or Fostex TH-X00 purpleheart

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 24
Usually, my typical bad purchases are in the category of restaurants.

Many times, I’ve ordered a dish or expensive cocktail and it turned out to be mediocre or bad.

But on the positive side, I view it as learning experiences and am always grateful for any food. I feel it’s not right to complain about food when there’s other people starving and have no opportunity to enjoy the food world.

I also feel that in life, you’ll always end up with a bad apple but just move on. It’s all a part of the journey.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #12 of 24
Kinda a worst purchase but really regret.

I bought the Questyle cas192DAC and cma800R amp but wish I had bought 2 of the amps so I could run them as mono-blocks. Now with the lock-down I can't get the second amp when I finally have time to listen!

Chris

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #14 of 24
E6E82E6C-0940-4A3B-A3BF-F44DC262FF91.png

In 2010 I purchased these Bose On-Ear. They were just simply called that at the time. They broke in a month but the Bose dealer was nice about an exchange program where you give them your broken headphone and some cash and they give you a new pair. The new pair only lasted a few months. Lol

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 24
Sennheiser PXC 550. I bought them on a whim at a duty-free airport electronics retailer. I wanted a better set of noise cancelling headphones and they caught my eye at nearly 60% the RRP. Blind purchase, makes me wish I had gone with the Bose QC35 or Beats Studio3 Wireless instead.

For starters, the pinout of the included airplane adapter was iffy. It's hard to describe, but the audio sounded abnormally "hollowed out" lacking bass and highs. They sound great, otherwise (when not using the airplane adapter). Shame about its fit (headband sizers aren't as expandable as I expected them to be, cushions are stuffy and on the small side for over-ears). The switches for ANC and BT are waaaaaay too small, and IMO the lack of a power switch is its greatest downfall.

The headphones power on when you unfold them for use, and power off when you fold them up. Convenient, I know, but this makes the circuitry inside active even if you use them with BT and ANC off! This introduces quite a high noise floor in wired mode. Having a noise floor at all is disappointing to say the least; and funnily enough, the headphones do work as passive headphones, but only if you listen to them while folded or run the battery completely flat. And confusingly enough, the touch controls on the right ear cup can be used to control volume when in wired mode. Why?

Oh and I forgot to mention; I think they're impossible to use as a wireless video/voice conference headset, as I've found out during this time of social distancing and whatnot (on Windows, anyway). Only the mic or audio playback can be active at a time, not both. With the mic on, you hear passthrough audio of the environment around you, which prevents them from being able to playback any audio from source.

In 2010 I purchased these Bose On-Ear. They were just simply called that at the time. They broke in a month but the Bose dealer was nice about an exchange program where you give them your broken headphone and some cash and they give you a new pair. The new pair only lasted a few months. Lol
Hey me too! One of my less regretful purchases. They're still intact and still great.

91AA99B2-913A-44CD-AEB2-E64715D1846E.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back