What is YOUR Holy Grail of Headphones and amps?
Nov 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #16 of 28
frown.gif
Idk!

I am actually considering trying to balanced silver dragon the 9s to save them - because nothing else really has the rest of what I love about them, either

As for amp - I'm not at an end-game caliber of amps and probably won't be

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 28
Anything from STAX?

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 28
I've got my dynamic setup and will wait on the stats until I get my source upgraded.

SP Platinum w/RS-1s and K701s. May add the mighty Senns and the MS-2.

My stat setup would include a HE and the O2. It's the amp that scares me.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #20 of 28
My favorite sound is the Ultrasone Edition 9 + cec HD53r (the problem is that it cook my ears after a while if I dont put the climatization on
frown.gif
)
For great sound, comfortable and long listening Denon D7000 + the same amp.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For headphones, the ribbon earspeaker idea I've been kicking around. I'm going to finish off a few other projects then give them a try. I've been obsessed with ribbons for years. Always preferred them to electrostats, but there aren't any ribbon headphones. The Ergo AMT is very close, but I want to try my hand at a pure ribbon. I think it is possible to adapt a ribbon microphone setup into a K-1000 style headphone. I'm going to try it.

For amps, the 45-based transformer coupled amp I've been gathering parts for. I have the 45 tubes and just received a pair of Sowter headphone transformers with multiple taps. I'm putting in a switch so you can select output impedance based on the headphones you want to use. I need to put in an order for the power, filament and output transformers with Electra-Print.

Still plan to get around to building an electrostatic amp and picking up either the Omega II or 4070.

I'm just going to quote this as my answer. Let us know how the ribbons go, Uncle Erik.

Nov 5, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 28
The TTVJ Millet Hybrid is on my list for when I win the lottery. Since I live in STAX Land, the James Bond of headphones would be on my list.

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #23 of 28
the Orpheus system is definitely special, so HE90/HEV90 is at the very top of my list for best headphone combo. the blue Hawaii/O2 is also very good, and for dynamics i really love my B52 with the 600/650.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Orpheus system is definitely special, so HE90/HEV90 is at the very top of my list for best headphone combo

Agreed - the He-90/HEV90 is in a league of it's own.

My favorite headphone as far as preference is concerned is K-1000 with a 300b tube amp or F1 with a tube preamp. HP-2 also, they both put me in the studio during the recording in the most uncolored way.

For coloration, I like the GS-1000, RS-1, PS-1, L3000, etc. Color is fun too and can be refreshing after listening to a nuetral headphone
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just going to quote this as my answer. Let us know how the ribbons go, Uncle Erik.

It'll be my project for the new year. I was going to get busy on (yet another) amp I have all the parts for (HeadWize - Project: The SESS Tube Headphone Amplifier by Andrea Ciuffoli, with the 417A/5842), but a ribbon headphone would be more exciting.

I have info on some ribbon microphones that should be adaptable to headphones. Also need to source a couple of transformers, but the biggest challenge will probably be building a suitable frame to hold the magnets apart. That was the trickiest part of building the ribbon speakers and they might be a little heavy to wear. I think aluminum frames would be the best way to go.

One thing I think will be nice about a headset will be the sweet spot. It's pretty narrow with the speakers, but if you wore them K-1000 style, you could dial in the perfect angle. Only thing is that you wouldn't get that magical dipole sound with earspeakers. Still, it is worth trying.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #27 of 28
HD-650 Out of a DV332 with NOS tubes....

No, really, it doesn't get any better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back