What is the "Fortune Cookie" in our post profile summary?
Jul 9, 2008 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sbulack

Headphoneus Supremus
I just noticed that, in each of our posts, at the bottom of the "Profile" summary under our login name, there is a small green square. When the mouse cursor is positioned over it the "floating message" is displayed:
"<poster login_name> is on a distinguished road"

The "floating message" sounds like a Fortune Cookie fortune to me.

What IS that small green square, and to what use is it being put in place for?
Anyone know?
Thanks.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 32
I was part of another forum that had rep. Rep wars broke out and it went away for awhile...
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 32
See the [+/-] switch next to the online/offline status? It said 'add to ....'s reputation'. I guess we have some sort of ranking now.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 32
i can see this turning into a problem, i have a feeling it will be abused, but i really hope it works out

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 32
I am REALLY against this. It is a terrible idea for numerous reasons.

Including:
jealousy, inflated post counts, redundancy, collusion, past posts bite you in the ass if you are a reformed *******, inferiority complex, etc.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 32
Hi, guys, we just installed the newest version of the forum software yesterday (that was why we had that forum closure for an hour or so yesterday), and this is a new feature. I turned it on to test it (as I'm not too familiar with how it works, and wanted to play with it), and was hoping nobody would notice. Well, you did.

Anyway, don't pay too much mind to it yet. I still don't fully understand how it works, but am looking at the various settings to see if it would be worthwhile.

If you've seen it used at other forums, and to an extent that was positive, please let me know. It'll likely be shut off later tonight, but then I may turn it back on when I have time to look it over again for more testing.

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 32
well, lets just say that the rep system can get people banned for unnecessary reasons. I have seen people on other forums getting banned by negative rep just because of something in their sig, or an avatar, or a single bad post.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #11 of 32
I can only see it being used for childish reasons in the end.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 32
also, there is a curtsy system for rep that calls for returning rep to those who gave it to you (well, atleast on the forums that I use that have it). It (the rep point system) is basically a system that causes people to race to more reputation points, which will give them more green boxes under their name (or red if they have more negative rep than positive).

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, lets just say that the rep system can get people banned for unnecessary reasons. I have seen people on other forums getting banned by negative rep just because of something in their sig, or an avatar, or a single bad post.

You mean that if your rep drops to zero... goodbye? I like to assume everybody like me
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean that if your rep drops to zero... goodbye? I like to assume everybody like me
wink.gif

you need like -5 or -10 rep points for a ban to come along.

I really don't think head-fi needs this.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 32
Maybe input a rule like putting one rep up or down a day and you can't keep on making somebody's rep going up or down but you have to wait a month?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back