what headphones have you destroyed while trying to recable/mod?
Sep 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

tjumper78

Headphoneus Supremus
i am so mad at myself for destroying a pair of im716.
i got a pair for 20 bucks from newegg a while ago, and i wanted to get rid of the pod. i finally got a hold of the resistors, and tried to remove the pod over the last weekend. unfortunately, it didnt go as smooth, and i decided to recable the whole thing. sadly, i didnt know the wires inside the drivers were so damn fragile, way more fragile than some of the iem's that i've recabled in the past. one side is ok but the other side is completely fuxd.
it only cost me 20 bucks but still.. i really loved these iems.
to make myself feel a little better, i would love(?) to hear some of the horror stories about good headphones getting destroyed.
ph34r.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 30
I killed a K301 by holding the iron on the solder lug too long.

Knowing what i now know about AKG drivers, though, I think i might have been able to save it if i'd gotten out the magnifying loupes and looked for the stump of the voice coil wire. Probably still something there to solder to. Doesn't have to be pretty.

Not that saving a K301 is worth it.

I wasn't so much recabling it as reterminating the factory cable.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far:

AKG K240 Sextett
AKG K340

I absolutely hate recabling those AKG. They way the wires are attached to the drivers is terrible. Now I'm contacting AKG to try to get replacement dynamic drivers for K340.
frown.gif
I was able to save 1 of them.

That's tough

Sep 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

So far:
Koss PortraPro
Koss KSC75
AKG K240 Sextett
AKG K340

I absolutely hate recabling those AKG. They way the wires are attached to the drivers is terrible. Now I'm contacting AKG to try to get replacement dynamic drivers for K340.
frown.gif
I was able to save 1 of them.

Serious question: What temperature are you using your soldering iron at?

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 30
koss ksc75. My mom is deaf in 1 ear though, so 2 resistors later and I had a decent mono driver for her
biggrin.gif
all worked out well...

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 30
I have killed a pair of SR-X/MK3's.
Opened it up to inspect the drivers and just a couple of days later it got channel imbalance. Most probably related...
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

700F so everything melts quickly and I don't have to hold the iron longer than a second on the driver.

you may want to try cooler.

700f can vaporize 40ga copper wire.

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 30
I also wiped out a pair of IM716's during a recable- the recabling soldering operation went very well. All joints nicely formed, cable looked smik, but when i went to hot glue the inside of the LH earpiece i noticed i had caught the side of the enclosure with the edge of the soldering iron. A not so nice little arc of plastic was missing. The 'phones still work fine but with the casing looking below par they are destined to stay at the back of a drawer somewhere and never to see the light of day again.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 30
Made an assortment of minor foul ups on my first two Goldring to Orthodome conversions. Managed to fix both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back