What equipment would I need to hear the difference between a 320kbps file and a losless file like FLAC?
Jan 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #46 of 100

Where exactly. I must have missed that.

Are you trying to suggest that the more money you spend on equipment the easier it is to distinguish Mp3 vs Wav?

it seems to be the opposite!!! :)
expensive gear likes the MP3!

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #47 of 100
  Yes, mine was as well I went and sat in front of the comp so I couldn't see the song she picked. 

WAV: RMS -10dBFS

MP3: RMS -30.7dBFS 

AAC: RMS -40dBFS

So there was a good drop. 

I'd be interested in finding someone who can hear subtle differences at -40dB in music. That would be quite a trick.

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #48 of 100

I'd be interested in finding someone who can hear subtle differences at -40dB in music. That would be quite a trick.

Maybe I misunderstood your question. The purpose of inverting the file was to see if they did cancel out completely or not. Just for verification. I'm not saying I listened to it at -40dB, I'm saying it metered -40dBFS. It did this due to the difference in the audio. If it were the same, it would have completely cancelled.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #49 of 100
  Maybe I misunderstood your question. The purpose of inverting the file was to see if they did cancel out completely or not. Just for verification. I'm not saying I listened to it at -40dB, I'm saying it metered -40dBFS. It did this due to the difference in the audio. If it were the same, it would have completely cancelled.

Did you just invert and mix to check for a null?

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #50 of 100
adupree - Would you mind posting up 30s clips from the samples you used in your ABX? Please?

I  find it very difficult myself. Well actually I cannot do it at all.

It would really help to be able to use samples others found easy and be able to compare notes on what you are looking for.

Thanks for consideration.

ed: spl :frowning2:

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #51 of 100
  adupree - Would you mind posting up 30s clips from the samples you used in your ABX? Please?

I  find it very difficult myself. Well actually I cannot do it at all.

It would really help to be able to use samples others found easy and be able to compare notes on what you are looking for.

Thanks for consideration.

ed: spl :frowning2:

Obviously you need to enhance your imagination. 
biggrin.gif
 For that rare sample, is it worth spending all the time for an esoteric experience? Not in my book.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #53 of 100

Did you just invert and mix to check for a null?

I did it after I listened, I just wanted to verify digitally.

Well if you didn't try to adjust the gains to achieve the best possible null, your experiment didn't work.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #54 of 100

No, I understand that. But if it's the same all the way down to -40dB, I seriously doubt that human ears will be able to detect a difference. Especially when we're talking about a subtle difference in music, not complete noise laid over the top.

Ethan Winer posted a video where he introduced an annoying tone into music at various dB levels. By 40dB, even the annoying tone is starting to disappear. A subtle difference designed to play on principles of psycho acoustics isn't going to be audible at that level at all.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #56 of 100

No, I understand that. But if it's the same all the way down to -40dB, I seriously doubt that human ears will be able to detect a difference.

Only test equipment and humans equipped with Magic Pixie Dust can.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #57 of 100

No, I understand that. But if it's the same all the way down to -40dB, I seriously doubt that human ears will be able to detect a difference. Especially when we're talking about a subtle difference, not complete noise.

When you playback the two files over each other they cancel out the similar parts. What's left played at -40dBFS, not -40dB. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #58 of 100
And that is audible as psycho acoustically designed modifications to music? That is 1/16th of the perceived peak level.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #60 of 100
  When you listen to the different files they do not sound the same. It's as simple as that. Top-end and some low-end are missing in the lossy files.

There are also limits to what human beings can perceive as we are not test equipment. Did you null balance the two files? I suspect that you didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back