What does you partner think about audiophilia?
Jul 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #31 of 43
     Quote:
what do women know about listening 

Now now, let's not start generalizing as there are quite a few women who appreciate music and quality audio in general. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #32 of 43

Quote:
My wife doesn't get it at all. She can't hear any difference among high-end stuff and even when she does hear a difference she doesn't rate it as important. She doesn't buy lots of shoes either.

Good news: at least she's not spending your money or making you pay all the utilitites. Bad news: you have nothing on her either.

Quote:
     Quote:

Now now, let's not start generalizing as there are quite a few women who appreciate music and quality audio in general. 

I don't think he meant "Hi-Fi listening," I think he meant listening in general. As in, "you never listen to what I say!" general.

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #33 of 43

Quote:
My Conure holds much the same opinion...

Beautiful!  Zoom out a bit to fit the headphones into the picture and it would be perfect! :wink:

Every once in a while I get a complaint about how I took over an end table with y equipment, but at least the fiancée doesn't balk when she sees a new piece of kit nor does she question what I spend.  She actually points to the fact that she spends money on clothes, shoes, and fashion accessories so I'm allowed to spend on electronics.  She doesn't really have any interest in any of my audio gear, but she does appreciate having a nice TV, sound system, and the super-convenient PS3 that I dropped a decently large hard drive into so I can store movies on there for her to watch at the press of a button, but I digress.

I haven't ever had her listen to anything, but I have had her try on headphones in the past just so she could comment on the fit.  She's small, (just over 5' and under 100lbs) so she's ideal to see how they would accommodate a smaller head.  I am, however, considering cueing up some tracks she likes and getting her input for the fun of it.  She loves Michael Jackson, so I'd be more than happy to present some Quincy-era tunes to her.

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #34 of 43
Hey, my girlfriend can easily tell the difference between her iBuds and the V-moda Vibe's that I bought her. She was very appreciative of it. She can easily tell the difference between a roommates Turtle Beach or Tritton headset and my PRO 2900's. She easily tells the difference between the onboard audio on her computer and my Xonar ST. She likes to listen with Dolby Headphone enabled.

I'm going to get her some custom IEM's for her birthday in December, and I've already told her that. She knows it...she wants it. Her ears are very small.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #36 of 43
I don't have a significant other, but my friends and family all think I'm crazy. They've all opted not to try any of my headphones though, so I think they're just protecting their wallets.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #37 of 43
My girlfriend's ok with it all. In fact she stole my brand new Adidas Originals and I don't think I'm getting them back!

I set up the LCD's on the Woo for her to try the other day. She smiled and said "ok, now I think I get why you're so into this...". She looked almost comical with those huge cans on her head. :)

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #38 of 43
I cued up some Within Temptation on the uDac2>Sony V6 last night (certainly not high end) but I didn't get them back for 20 minutes, so I think she might understand, at least a little. Once the Grados are back in one peice we'll have to see if she turns into a legit convert to the dark-side. Actually, that might be bad, because then my stuff would keep going missing. On the brightside, picking out gifts would be easier that way

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #39 of 43
Here is the situation:

- Owner of a growing company (just 5 years in the market)
- 2 kids (1 goes to private new school, the other is 3 months old)
- A wife that doesn't care about hi-fi, mid-fi or low-fi
- Took me almost 2 years just to get a basic rig (HP-DAC-AMP)

Buying things little by little lowers the impact when she knows how much things cost...

She's not in to audiophilia and by the couple times she used my rig... she never will...

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #40 of 43
Well, I don't have currently have a girlfriend, but my parents are very supportive of this hobby, as they have some very nice audio equipment themselves. They appreciate good sound.

My friends usually take one look at my Woo Audio 6 and ask "What the heck is that thing?" Most of them think I'm absolutely insane. That's okay though; I'll enjoy my equipment while they miss out.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #41 of 43

Quote:
Hey, my girlfriend can easily tell the difference between her iBuds and the V-moda Vibe's that I bought her. She was very appreciative of it. She can easily tell the difference between a roommates Turtle Beach or Tritton headset and my PRO 2900's. She easily tells the difference between the onboard audio on her computer and my Xonar ST. She likes to listen with Dolby Headphone enabled.

I'm going to get her some custom IEM's for her birthday in December, and I've already told her that. She knows it...she wants it. Her ears are very small.

That's awesome!

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #42 of 43
No complaints.  Of course me getting JH16 means she gets a box of pretty decent headphones and IEM's (including SE530) for free.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #43 of 43
my ex liked them so much she stole my HD595 when we broke up...if she stole my Denon's I would have shot her.  The good out of the whole experience is I upgraded to the HD600 and will never look back...at either the can or the girl
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back