What do you guys do (JOB)??
Apr 28, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #136 of 211
CAD Operator for an International Mechanical and Electrical Engineering consulting firm. Also do part time CAD work for an International Civil Engineering and Landscape Consulting firm. It's an interesting job being able to see and do layouts of Mechanical and Electrical designs for various commercial buildings, schools, hospitals, and highend homes. On the Civil Engineering side you have the opportunity to work on the the developement of an entire community and all of it's related infrastructure. About the only thing I don't like about my job is the sometimes unreasonably projects deadlines that has to be met without any excuses.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #137 of 211
Wow,I never responded to this thread?

I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic (off on medical leave right now),own an electrical contracting company and just bought into(as 50% owner) sixteen ice cream trucks. I also own about sixty soda and candy vending machines(don't get excited,they typically lose money).

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #138 of 211
From Tuberoller's signature (above)...

"I bought an RV cause I'm on the run from the "Stax Mafia". They'll never catch me."

Good one, Fred.
lambda.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #139 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic (off on medical leave right now),own an electrical contracting company and just bought into(as 50% owner) sixteen ice cream trucks. I also own about sixty soda and candy vending machines(don't get excited,they typically lose money).

I don't know...when I read that, I can't help but be reminded of the main character from Grand Theft Auto - Vice City. You can fight fires and rescue people to earn money, work at times as a "contractor," distribute "ice cream" using an ice cream truck, and furthermore are always on the run from the mafia. In your case, the Stax mafia.

Something you're not telling us, Tuberoller? Or perhaps I should have said anything -- if I get whacked, I guess it's my own damn fault.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #141 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
Student at Purdue University, major in Computer Science. Almost done, only two more weeks until I'm officially unemployed
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Welcome to the unemployed CS'er club! Uhh...sorry about your wallet
frown.gif
The market continues to be bad for CS people, though it's better than it was when I graduated a year ago. There is some limited hiring going on but most positions are still fiercely competitive. If you have "real world" experience via internships or whatever, you'll be somewhat better off. For sure Microsoft, Boeing, HP, and the gov't are hiring in decent numbers at the moment.

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #142 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
Welcome to the unemployed CS'er club! Uhh...sorry about your wallet
frown.gif
The market continues to be bad for CS people, though it's better than it was when I graduated a year ago. There is some limited hiring going on but most positions are still fiercely competitive. If you have "real world" experience via internships or whatever, you'll be somewhat better off. For sure Microsoft, Boeing, HP, and the gov't are hiring in decent numbers at the moment.

Hey, I know how this feels
frown.gif
I took my commercial pilots license just before Bin Laden did his work. That pretty much put paid to those career plans. What made it worse was that it cost a small fortune and took a couple of years to complete. Still, it was a dream of mine since I was a kid, and now at least I won't look back when I'm 50 and wonder "what if?"
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #144 of 211
Currently working as a System Engineer for a defense contractor. Actual job? Lead software tester.

Retired from the U.S. Navy after 21 years. Did a lot of stuff on submarines I can't tell you about (They don't call it the "Silent Service" for nothing!)
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #145 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Submarinesailor
Currently working as a System Engineer for a defense contractor. Actual job? Lead software tester.

Retired from the U.S. Navy after 21 years. Did a lot of stuff on submarines I can't tell you about (They don't call it the "Silent Service" for nothing!)
biggrin.gif

what submarine classes did you work on mate?
or you are not allowed to tell us.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #146 of 211
I served 4 years each on 3 LA Class Fast Attack Submarines (SSN's). The latter two were the "688I" versions.

For those who aren't familiar, the 688 class submarine is nuclear powered, carries both torpedoes and Tomahawk missiles, and is multi-mission capable.

I've been to the following countries in the course of my career: France, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Bahrain, UAE, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Norway, Scotland, and Belgium. The only downside: being away from home 6 months at a time!

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #147 of 211
Heading to law school in the fall semester. So I've got no idea where I'll end up workwise
tongue.gif

Until then I'll be working full time at a small firm as a paralegal.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #149 of 211
Highschool student.
Past jobs:
Fleemarket
door to door
marketplace

Marketplace or fleemarket again this summer. Salary depends how good you are in bargaining, 06:30-15:00 is decent hours, and nice females to look at marketplace at summer.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #150 of 211
Graduate Music student:

I have a bachelor's in Music Ed., a Masters in Saxophone Performance, and I'm currently working on a Masters in Musicology (Music History).

But lately I've been thinking that I'm in the wrong field...unfortunately I don't know what I would want to do otherwise, so I'm a bit stuck right now
rolleyes.gif

I'm open to suggestions...

Perhaps I can make a living building amps? Anyone need an amp builder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back