What book are you reading right now?
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #5,281 of 5,353
1690138145277.jpeg

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #5,282 of 5,353
Carrion Comfort.
Second read decades later, but this time in English. I usually get roasted when I say it's my favorite Dan Simmons book, the Hyperion crew just won't have it. How dare I be a bigger fan of the wrong books????? ^_^
Well the Hyperion series is cool, creative, entertaining, all that, while Carrion comfort has Requiem for a Dream level of disturbing. For me, it just was a stronger emotional experience, and I'm feeling it all over again on this second occasion. Who doesn't like a nice little psychological trauma from time to time, as entertainment? :anguished:
As a non-native English speaker, I've always felt a little dyslexic whenever I pick up a book. Dan Simmons helped me overcome that with The Terror - the very first book I endeavored to read from start to finish in decades. It was scary and spellbinding especially because I read it over dark and cold winter nights. It turned my reading apprehension into an immensely enjoyable habit. I am definitely on the Hyperion crew but that might change when I eventually get a chance to read Carrion Comfort (and Song of Kali). He and Gene Wolfe (Book of the New Sun) are the summit-fi to my literary enrichment and pleasure.

Currently reading --

7eves.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #5,285 of 5,353
I read that book over a decade ago, and have been pondering getting a new copy now that the film has been released. There are a lot of pages, but the book rewards the reader who is interested in complex historical figures.
Thanks for the idea, @DLeeWebb. I will put that on my list. :)

Jul 31, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #5,286 of 5,353
Thanks for the idea, @DLeeWebb. I will put that on my list. :)
It's going to take me awhile to get through this one. I'm not a lightening fast reader. I tend to study books more than read them. Other than just knowing the general history of the Manhattan Project, I saw a PBS "American Experience" documentary (documentaries don't get much better than "The American Experience" (WGBH | Boston)...) on Oppenheimer a few years ago (link to full documentary below.) I saw the recent documentary on Oppenheimer on MSNBC two weeks ago (link to trailer below.) Last Tuesday, I saw the Christopher Nolan IMAX film (great film, but it had its flaws IMHO). I suspect this book will fill in the blanks, but I probably won't be done with it until Christmas!

PBS | "The American Experience"

MSNBC | "To End All War"

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #5,287 of 5,353
It's going to take me awhile to get through this one. I'm not a lightening fast reader. I tend to study books more than read them. Other than just knowing the general history of the Manhattan Project, I saw a PBS "American Experience" documentary (documentaries don't get much better than "The American Experience" (WGBH | Boston)...) on Oppenheimer a few years ago (link to full documentary below.) I saw the recent documentary on Oppenheimer on MSNBC two weeks ago (link to trailer below.) Last Tuesday, I saw the Christopher Nolan IMAX film (great film, but it had its flaws IMHO). I suspect this book will fill in the blanks, but I probably won't be done with it until Christmas!
I too suspect that the book will fill in some blanks.

A big advantage that books have, is that reading them allows days or weeks for the reader to absorb the details/personality of characters.
A TV documentary or a film only has two or three hours to try and achieve the same, and necessarily omits much, or skims over much, because of the inevitable time constraints.

Aug 13, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #5,290 of 5,353
Apparently I have a strong masochistic streak...

16919698981714671458991845840190.jpg

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #5,292 of 5,353
Just finished the first book in the Lanny Budd series, now on to book #2. WW1 is over with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, what a fiasco, now I think we get a few years of peace. This is not fast reading at all, @DLeeWebb; I can relate to the challenge to really understand J Robert Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project. :)

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 10.41.40.png

Sep 10, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #5,294 of 5,353
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 12.41.22.png
Third of eleven in the Lanny Budd series, Sinclair won the Pulitzer Prize for this
one that takes place in 1929 - 1934. It's more political than were the first two,
Fascism is installed via Mussolini in Italy and Nazism is on the rise in Germany.
The fictional characters are surrounded by all the real characters of the period.
I liked the first two books better, where Lanny was learning about life including
languages, art, music, dance, theater, sex and the nicer things in life. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back