What are you reading?
Jul 10, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 73
Siegfried by Harry Mulisch (for fun)
Mastering Regular Expressions by Friedl - O'Reilly Books (for work)
Insight by Bernard Lonergan (for school)

Thus far Siegfried wins hands down for keeping me awake
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 73
The Bible. Seriously, and I really don't mean this as a "religious" post. It's something that I've always wanted to do. To read it from beginning to end, cover to cover, to see if I "get it". So far I'm a little past the half way mark in the Old Testament, or 1/3rd of the way through the whole "project" (as I'm calling it). Pun intended, but it really is a good book. Interesting on many levels, and recommended.

(Fellow mods, you can zap this post if you think it's inappropriate, but I was just honestly answering the question and don't mean in any way to stir up the pot or to get a religious discussion started. In fact, if you read it the way I am, for the stories involved, it really is just a book... sort of).

Also, "East of Eden" by John Steinback.

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 73
For school: Descartes' Philosophical Meditations.

For fun: Joyce's Portrait of the Artists as a Young Man and the Edith Grossman's translation of Don Quixote

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 73
For some fun? Try these by Charles Portis:

The Dog Of The South
Masters Of Atlantis
Norwood

His other two (Gringos and True Grit) are good, but won't make you laugh hysterically like the above three will.

If you want something epic and hilarious, try The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. And anything by Evelyn Waugh; my favorite is The Loved One.

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 73
Wayne, reading the Bible from cover to cover is a great challenge. I just wanted to bring up a couple of things. One, I have a book called How to Read the Boring Parts of the Bible. I found it very enlightening and insightful, and it's an easy read. Two, there are alternatives to reading the Bible from cover to cover. Having read the Bible straight from Genesis through Revelations several times, I thought I take a different approach for a change. I just started reading the Bible arranged in chronological order. It's pretty cool and insightful reading together the different perspectives and descriptions of same events.

Getting back to the original post, I'm currently reading some books (Rich Dad Poor Dad series of books) on personal finance by Robert Kiyosaki.

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 73
Re-reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. Currently on "Fires of Heaven", book five out of eleven (for now).

Jul 10, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 73
Currently reading Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter. Really fascinating, but one chapter and a dialog is like a mental 5K.

I also recently finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. Pretty decent story, but not as good as his Revelation Space novels or Century Rain.

Jul 10, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Re-reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. Currently on "Fires of Heaven", book five out of eleven (for now).

What the heck? This is what I'm doing! I'm on "Lord of Chaos" right now. The only diff is that I never read this series before. But I figure now's the time. I just didn't want to start too early and wait forever for the next installment to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back