What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 4, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #52,771 of 136,247

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #52,772 of 136,247
  The album is indeed excellent. Thanks for reminding me to perhaps finally purchase it one of these days instead of just letting it sit in my wish list on Bandcamp.

I feel the same way. It's been awhile since I've made any music purchases, so maybe I'm due for some more music. : - )

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #52,777 of 136,247

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

The new 2014 vinyl reissue. I got this last Friday and decided to give it a spin today. Despite really trying and owning the majority of Led Zeppelin's output, I've never managed to really enjoy their music. I like Achilles Last Stand and Ten Years Gone, but that's about it. I decided to get their debut on vinyl in the hopes that one day LZ might find their way into my life.

For those wondering about the reissue, this is a very high quality pressing made available for a very affordable price. The sounds is very clear and I can't think of a reason for an LZ fan to pass on this very well produced re-release.

This is really pissing me off, uh, I mean annoying me
triportsad.gif

Last year, I went out and bought some new gear and digitized my entire CD collection into lossless and stored them on a NAS. In the process, I beefed up my rock collection including several Led Zeppelin releases. Dang! I should have waited a year.

41bFXX1sACL.jpg

2007 release-a Headfier turned me onto this. A new genre for me-"Dark Ambient"-I dig it...

41TIPCX4-fL.jpg

I keep going back and hitting repeat on this 2013 Chick Corea release. It's smoothe and eay to listen to in the background, but has a lot of detail and hold my attention when I want to give it more of my focus. Pretty wide variety of syles. I'll just say this along with the last Pat Metheny Unity Band release  is a great example of modern jazz fusion.

81n1luURHkL._SL1200_.jpg

I became a big Swans fan during the fanfare of The Seer and bought some of their back cataglog. I'm going to categorize thier new release as some of the most challenging and rewarding new music in my catalog. Yikes!  It's going to take me a long time to wrap my head around this beast.

At this point, I think I prefer the Seer. But, it's kind of like Sargeant Peppers or Abbey Road?  It feels more "rockish" at times, more experimental at others. I'm definitely getting a Jim Morrison vibe in a couple of places. And, the seance, cult like trance inducing quality of Swans is defintiely there........wow. There is just so much here.....

All I'm going to say is-for me-this is an essential release

810-qM7BHOL._SL1200_.jpg

Swans-To Be Kind-2014

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #52,778 of 136,247
Currently listening to the rain pummelling the roof of the Amsterdam flat I call 'home' this week.

Also enjoying The War on Drugs' latest album - "Lost in the Dream" - truly beautiful dreamy pop/rock.

Enjoying a beer on the side, too- terribly conservative choice of intoxicating substance around these parts...

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #52,780 of 136,247
A few new purchases today.

I initially purchased the wrong Jake Bugg album a few months ago, and I've since enjoyed both albums enough to keep them. While Shangri La has a greater variety of instruments and has a nice bluesy tone to it, at times it seems the songwriting is a bit uninspired, a stopgap sophomore album waiting for better songs to be written for the next. On the other hand, Jake Bugg has a DIY, garage-influenced feel to it and better songs, but lacks some of the creativity of arrangements of his latest work.

I was never a huge fan of Arcade Fire and found them a little over-hyped, but the release of Reflektor last year really turned me onto their sound overall and some of their TV appearances led me to buy into their performance style as well. Funeral is my second purchase from the band, and hopefully it'll have some of the same features that I love from Reflektor: long-format variations on a basic riff, mysterious and mythological lyrics, and utilization of unique electronics without going overboard.

I'm a huge White Stripes fan, and over the last year or so I've expanded my collection to include a complete selection of their studio albums. Now, it's time for live recordings. The White Stripes have always had an air of rough, garage rock in their production and playing style, something that I sometimes miss when I listen to newer Jack White recordings (like Love Is Blindness from last year's Great Gatsby soundtrack). On this newest purchase, a compendium of recordings from their 2007 Canadian tour, that vibe is retained, with sound that is reminiscent of crowd recordings you would find in the Live Music Archive. While this does leave a critical listener wanting for details at times, it helps to capture the full-blast atmosphere of a concert from when Jack and Meg were still together. You can always see Jack White today, but I'm a big fan of Meg White and this is as close as I'm going to get to seeing them together for now.

I actually ran into the new R.E.M. Unplugged sessions two-pack at Best Buy, of all places, and had no idea that it had been released. With two different sets a decade apart, it's interesting to hear how the band grew and changed during the 1990s. This was one hell of a steal, too, with 33 tracks included for under fifteen bucks. At a brick and mortar chain store, that's a good deal today. I'm looking forward to hearing both sets in full, including the eleven previously unreleased recordings.

Jake Bugg by Jake Bugg

Funeral by Arcade Fire

Under Great White Northern Lights by The White Stripes

Unplugged 1991 & 2001, The Complete Sessions by R.E.M.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #52,782 of 136,247
Wintersun: Time part I has been on high rotation since I discovered it a few months ago.

Stunning album, simply stunning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back