WHAT ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL HEADPHONES EVER MADE? PART ll
Nov 21, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #31 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzelague /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A beauty from the past...

That Pioneer headphone is stunning and deserves to be on this list! Can you tell me what model this is? Unfortunately I didn't know about it. But with only 20 slots, what headphone would have to be dropped? It seems the JVC DX1000. In fact the HD540 Reference Gold should be on this list too, which would mean dropping the Beyerdynamic DT 48. The list is only a few days old and should be refined but I would need the help of the webmaster to change things. I am not sure this is possible. What I love about the two above mentioned headphones is that they are beautiful with what looks like very solid build quality and a lack of cheap plastic parts. I do not know how many votes the Pioneer would garner since it is not a popular headphone but it doesn't matter, it exudes beauty.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #32 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I already thought of that. I need to wait though for this poll to get plenty of responses before I post pictures in the OP. In terms of "shortlisted," do you mean the headphones that gather the most votes? If it were up to me, I would only shortlist the Grado HP1000, Sony Qualia 010, ATH-W11JP, and Stax SR-007BL. It boggles my mind that so many think the L3000 is the most beautiful headphone ever made.

Have you seen or handle the L3000 in person? I voted the L3000 myself and to me, they are most well made and beautiful headphones in that list. I own/owned HE90, R10, W5000, L3000, W2002, and W11PN and tried out the HP1000, PS1, and Qualia and I still think the L3000 sports the best build quality as well as being the most beautiful. Of course, the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. FYI, the lacquer finish on the W2002 is nicer than the W11JPN.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #33 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen or handle the L3000 in person? I voted the L3000 myself and to me, they are most well made and beautiful headphones in that list. I own/owned HE90, R10, W5000, L3000, W2002, and W11PN and tried out the HP1000, PS1, and Qualia and I still think the L3000 sports the best build quality as well as being the most beautiful. Of course, the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. FYI, the lacquer finish on the W2002 is nicer than the W11JPN.

Yes, I was at a high-end audio show at a hotel here in New York City. I did see the L3000 there and though there was much for me to admire, especially that fine leather and stitching, the finish on the handle made me feel like someone was scratching on a chalk board. On a side note but related to this topic, a relative of mine owns a BMW 750iL. This car costs a small fortune but the iDrive knob just to the right of the driver is made of chrome spray-painted plastic. It is used to control all the functions in this jumbo jet and it feels like it cost 20 cents to make. The lack of attention to details like these just gets on my nerves.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #34 of 121
By the way, if anyone out there knows of a headphone that is extremely beautiful, please post pictures here. I want to see if I can refine and update these lists by dropping the lowest rated headphones. Thanks.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #36 of 121
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
smile.gif

Even if we have a common meaning of what is beautiful or not, there certainly are some variations. Which is fine...

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #37 of 121
Well, as an artist, I do not think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a reason why Raphael is a better artist than Joe Smoe. Art, like math and physics, can be measured. I believe that industrial design can be measured too. However, since we are talking about headphones here and not art, I guess I can roll with this statement. The stakes are not that big. I need to get to the point on this list where every headphone on it is a total knock-out and right now, the list just isn't there. I hope I will be able to edit the poll. And yes, I need to post pictures on the opening thread.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #39 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Pioneer headphone is stunning and deserves to be on this list! Can you tell me what model this is? Unfortunately I didn't know about it. But with only 20 slots, what headphone would have to be dropped? It seems the JVC DX1000. In fact the HD540 Reference Gold should be on this list too, which would mean dropping the Beyerdynamic DT 48. The list is only a few days old and should be refined but I would need the help of the webmaster to change things. I am not sure this is possible. What I love about the two above mentioned headphones is that they are beautiful with what looks like very solid build quality and a lack of cheap plastic parts. I do not know how many votes the Pioneer would garner since it is not a popular headphone but it doesn't matter, it exudes beauty.

It is a Pioneer SE-L40 from around 1970.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #41 of 121
"It is a Pioneer SE-L40 from around 1970."

Thank you very much. In fact I have now been doing some more research about vintage headphones and I have found another beautiful one; the Pioneer SE-700.

9kttoo.jpg

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #42 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, the lacquer finish on the W2002 is nicer than the W11JPN.

You think so? I've looked at them side-by-side several times and can't say I've noticed a difference in the finish. Sure the wood grain is different and the W11JPN has slightly smaller cups, but I don't think I favor the appearance of one over the other. They're both gorgeous!

I'm genuinely surprised that leather beat lacquered wood for appearance.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #43 of 121
Are there going to playoffs? I mean, what do we have, three of these threads up and running?

It's getting to be like the Saw movies. I actually went to see Saw V and was still mildly amused and entertained. Kind of gory, but not really shocking anymore because I've grown accustomed to the theme. Yet, I'm still tuning in for more!

Oh, please, please, give us a playoff thread! The best of the East versus the best of the West. The L3000 pitted up against the likes of the Qualia 010 and the W11-Japan-something-or-other to determine once and for all what the real truth of the matter is!

But don't keep us waiting for too long. We need to know!

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #44 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm genuinely surprised that leather beat lacquered wood for appearance.

I am too. It seems to me that the colors and the fine leather of the L3000 really appeals to people. I don't know why anyone would want to have green headphones either. I am also iffy about the two padded head supports being used in conjunction with the head band. The design doesn't visually flow very well to me.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #45 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there going to playoffs? I mean, what do we have, three of these threads up and running? It's getting to be like the Saw movies. I actually went to see Saw V and was still mildly amused and entertained. Kind of gory, but not really shocking anymore because I've grown accustomed to the theme. Yet, I'm still tuning in for more! Oh, please, please, give us a playoff thread! The best of the East versus the best of the West. The L3000 pitted up against the likes of the Qualia 010 and the W11-Japan-something-or-other to determine once and for all what the real truth of the matter is! But don't keep us waiting for too long. We need to know!

Ahh, you're funny. No, there are only two polls. Well, actually the first thread was more of a teaser thread, but I really needed some input before I made a list and, on that thread, I was helped out a lot. Then after that initial thread I wanted to put all of the headphones on one poll. Then I discovered that the poll will only accept 10 entries! It was a crushing blow to me because I really wanted them all on equal footing and I couldn't do it. We would know the winner by now if all of the headphones were on one list. Instead, I was forced to divide them up into two parts. It was also twice the amount of work. I don't see how I can justify a play-off list but I too wanted to see a head to head competition. Instead we just got something lukewarm. If everyone here wants me to, I will happily do a third poll with just the top ten, and instead of being able to choose multiple times, you would only have one choice per person. It could be overkill for sure, so I would need everyone to let me know. If not, I will just leave things as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back