What are the best non-Android DAPs? Or are they all gone?
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

kevinkar

Head-Fier
Simple question and one that's more and more difficult to answer. Looks like just about everyone is moving towards or has already moved to Android-based hi-res DAPs and there's no way I'm carrying TWO Android devices around. A 6" phone is bad enough but to have a second large Android device is just not going to happen. At least with a Fiio X5 2nd Gen, it's reasonably small enough to carry in my shirt or jacket pocket and control without looking at it but another cellphone-sized device where I generally needd to look at the screen and touch it is not in my present or future.

Unless hi-res DAP manufacturers decide to add cell phone capability to their devices, I'm "stuck" with my X5 for hi-res sources. I know I can play them on my phone (Galaxy S9) and, honestly, there's not THAT much difference between the S9 and the X5 in terms of what my 56-year-old ears hear (I know, heresy... So what?) so if I have to carry an Android device with some hi-res flac files, the S9 is fine. I have rudimentary control over it with the ear bud buttons or the hard buttons on the phone but to do anything complex, I have to take it out of my pocket and look at it and touch the screen. Inconvenient. Just like all the Android-based DAPs nowadays.

But for those favorites I've spent the money for hi-res versions of, I want to play those on the best portable device I can and that's currently my X5. I can have that in my pocket and not have to take it out to look at it to perform any functions. Just touch the right button and move on. But when it fails..... what then? Everyone is moving to Android which I already have in a cell phone.

So are there any really good non-Android DAPs out there and, if so, which ones are "best"? I'm guessing there are not that many worth mentioning since all the high end stuff is now Android-based (I'm generally perusing the Portable Source Gear forum) but nothing seems that great in Android form. At least not for me.

Just wondering what, if anything, was really out there that is not Android and if it's any good. Or am I generally out of luck?

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 69
I carry my M11P and iPhone around. It’s not that big a deal...

Dec 6, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 69
The QP2R is probably the the best straight up Dap . I have a QP1R and it only plays music nothing else.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 69
Simple question and one that's more and more difficult to answer. Looks like just about everyone is moving towards or has already moved to Android-based hi-res DAPs and there's no way I'm carrying TWO Android devices around. A 6" phone is bad enough but to have a second large Android device is just not going to happen. At least with a Fiio X5 2nd Gen, it's reasonably small enough to carry in my shirt or jacket pocket and control without looking at it but another cellphone-sized device where I generally needd to look at the screen and touch it is not in my present or future.

Unless hi-res DAP manufacturers decide to add cell phone capability to their devices, I'm "stuck" with my X5 for hi-res sources. I know I can play them on my phone (Galaxy S9) and, honestly, there's not THAT much difference between the S9 and the X5 in terms of what my 56-year-old ears hear (I know, heresy... So what?) so if I have to carry an Android device with some hi-res flac files, the S9 is fine. I have rudimentary control over it with the ear bud buttons or the hard buttons on the phone but to do anything complex, I have to take it out of my pocket and look at it and touch the screen. Inconvenient. Just like all the Android-based DAPs nowadays.

But for those favorites I've spent the money for hi-res versions of, I want to play those on the best portable device I can and that's currently my X5. I can have that in my pocket and not have to take it out to look at it to perform any functions. Just touch the right button and move on. But when it fails..... what then? Everyone is moving to Android which I already have in a cell phone.

So are there any really good non-Android DAPs out there and, if so, which ones are "best"? I'm guessing there are not that many worth mentioning since all the high end stuff is now Android-based (I'm generally perusing the Portable Source Gear forum) but nothing seems that great in Android form. At least not for me.

Just wondering what, if anything, was really out there that is not Android and if it's any good. Or am I generally out of luck?
Not sure I understand your rationale for a non-Android based DAP. Do you think Android makes it heavier?

If you are concerned about weight, but want high res, why don't you consider something like a DragonFly Red or Cobalt? Or, maybe something like a Fiio BTR5 which is really small and light and sounds pretty good.

Or, maybe buy s smart watch and make calls from it and carry your high res DAP with you.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 69
Not sure I understand your rationale for a non-Android based DAP. Do you think Android makes it heavier?

If you are concerned about weight, but want high res, why don't you consider something like a DragonFly Red or Cobalt? Or, maybe something like a Fiio BTR5 which is really small and light and sounds pretty good.

Or, maybe buy s smart watch and make calls from it and carry your high res DAP with you.
The Dragonfly Red is fine but a good Dap is so much better.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 69
The Dragonfly Red is fine but a good Dap is so much better.
I don't disagree. I am just commenting on the concern about having 2 phone sized devices to carry around. I have an Apple watch, so I can carry around a DAP and still make phone calls only only have one larger size device with me.

Personally, I don't own a DAP, but I own several DACs.

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 69
Not sure I understand your rationale for a non-Android based DAP. Do you think Android makes it heavier? If you are concerned about weight, but want high res, why don't you consider something like a DragonFly Red or Cobalt? Or, maybe something like a Fiio BTR5 which is really small and light and sounds pretty good. Or, maybe buy s smart watch and make calls from it and carry your high res DAP with you.

Uh, no. Android does not make it heavier. Sheesh. Two points - carrying two similar devices is somewhat redundant when the OS is Android in both and that the DAP has a touchscreen instead of functioning through buttons. I'm just listening to music and don't need a fancy screen or Android OS to do so nor do I want to carry around two similarly sized devices. I've got a cellphone in one pocket and a set of keys with a freakishly large key FOB like all auto manufacturers are making nowadays in the other so where am I supposed to carry another cellphone sized device? Dragonfly Red is not a solution as I have to plug that into a PC and which pocket does THAT fit in? The Cobalt might be an option but again I'd be using the phone for control and, again, touchscreen.

I guess I just don't see a need for a touchscreen out in the wild. Players are in your pocket so you just reach in, feel for and touch the appropriate button. With a touchscreen you have to remove it from your pocket, activate the screen, navigate to where you want to go etc. If that's what they are pushing nowadays, they my phone can do that albeit not with an ultra high end DAC. So maybe the Cobalt is the right solution but, again, touchscreen!

I get the suggestion of a smart watch but I'd need to pair that with a phone so that's not really a solution.

I guess I'm just not a fan of everything going touchscreen.

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 69
Uh, no. Android does not make it heavier. Sheesh. Two points - carrying two similar devices is somewhat redundant when the OS is Android in both and that the DAP has a touchscreen instead of functioning through buttons. I'm just listening to music and don't need a fancy screen or Android OS to do so nor do I want to carry around two similarly sized devices. I've got a cellphone in one pocket and a set of keys with a freakishly large key FOB like all auto manufacturers are making nowadays in the other so where am I supposed to carry another cellphone sized device? Dragonfly Red is not a solution as I have to plug that into a PC and which pocket does THAT fit in? The Cobalt might be an option but again I'd be using the phone for control and, again, touchscreen.

I guess I just don't see a need for a touchscreen out in the wild. Players are in your pocket so you just reach in, feel for and touch the appropriate button. With a touchscreen you have to remove it from your pocket, activate the screen, navigate to where you want to go etc. If that's what they are pushing nowadays, they my phone can do that albeit not with an ultra high end DAC. So maybe the Cobalt is the right solution but, again, touchscreen!

I get the suggestion of a smart watch but I'd need to pair that with a phone so that's not really a solution.

I guess I'm just not a fan of everything going touchscreen.
Ok. So, to you, Android means touch screen. To me, Android means apps.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 69
i am using QLS QA-361 and it sounts great with Andromeda 2020 + Sony IER-M9. Plenty of power, great speed and tonal balance. I bought it for the second time. One year ago i sold mt first QA361 and i thought i needed streaming and bought DX220 instead then i purchased 2 additional amp (8+9) but always missed sound quality of QLS...

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 69
Ok. So, to you, Android means touch screen. To me, Android means apps.
It means both. Can you show me a DAP or a cellphone using Android without a touchscreen?

Android also means apps. Which are all already on my phone which does not have a high end DAC in it sooooooo, if I also want to play my hi-res music, I apparently have to carry around a SECOND Android device that's generally as big as my phone. I don't want to do that. Am I supposed to load up all my apps from my phone onto a DAP and then still have to carry around a phone for cell service? Again, that's redundant and also too big.

I don't want to carry two Android devices, both of which are about the same size and I don't want to control a music player via a touchscreen because I will always have to take that out of my pocket, activate the screen, do what I want and then return it to my pocket. With a non-Android DAP with dedicated buttons, I just reach into my pocket, click the button I want and done.

Cowon could be an option.
True, not necessarily Android but aren't they all touchscreen controlled? I guess I should have clarified I don't want touchscreen control either. I'll check them out to be sure. Thanks.

i am using QLS QA-361 and it sounts great with Andromeda 2020 + Sony IER-M9. Plenty of power, great speed and tonal balance. I bought it for the second time. One year ago i sold mt first QA361 and i thought i needed streaming and bought DX220 instead then i purchased 2 additional amp (8+9) but always missed sound quality of QLS...
Yeah, that looks promising but it sure is pricey. I think that might be MORE than my S9 was! But I'll take a look. Thank you.

I guess I'm just so used to the old days of non-hi-res players that fit in your pocket and you just controlled by touch (Creative Zen, Sandisk, iRiver, etc.) Simple. The more advanced and hi-res they get, the more they tack on tech that's not really necessary. Even if phones got high end DACs in them, you'd still have to look at them to control them (they all seem to want to go away from costly hard buttons!) So I'm probably out of luck.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 69
It means both. Can you show me a DAP or a cellphone using Android without a touchscreen?

I simply don't think about devices the way you do. To me, I want my devices to have the same operating system because then if there are any apps I need on both devices or more importantly I want on future devices that I upgrade to or interoperate effectively with each other, then they work and I don't need to change apps. You seem to be hung up on Android devices as having a touch screen. There are plenty of devices that are big and heavy or not and that isn't a function of the operating system. That's design choice by the developer. I have a Chord Mojo and it is as heavy as any Android DAP and it has no screen. I have a Chord Hugo 2, again, no screen and heavier than any DAP out there. You seem to be okay with redundant features as long as they don't work with each other. It's a strange way to look at things which is fine because you are entitled to thinking about things anyway you want.

What might work better is for you to describe the perfect product with the form factor and features you need. If it meets your needs, why would it matter if it supported Android or some proprietary operating system or had redundant features as long as it also made your target price point?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back