What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #13,771 of 14,566
I was not aware that that was a thing (still very new). Maybe. Depends on what is showing and when. I do not think I could survive down there in the summer.
I highly recommend Santa Fe, an unusual, almost outdoor, setting with an open rear stage and only partial roofing. WE watched the Pearl Fishers there with real lightning against the mountains, nicely synchronized at the appropriate moments!

Take a picnic, eat outdoors, drink wine, then watch opera!!!!!

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #13,773 of 14,566
The Berliner staatsoper and Bayreuth festspielhaus are non negotiable imho; the met has a fine orchestra but acoustics are finer here at the sf war memorial

I am so excited to see Salonen this month!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #13,774 of 14,566
The Berliner staatsoper and Bayreuth festspielhaus are non negotiable imho; the met has a fine orchestra but acoustics are finer here at the sf war memorial

I am so excited to see Salonen this month!

Yeah, Bayreuth would have to be on the bucket list.

The acoustics at the War Memorial are highly dependent on where you're sitting. There are too many locations where, for instance, tenors singing as they should get annoyingly attenuated. Despite that, we've enjoyed many fine performances there.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #13,777 of 14,566
with Augustin Hadelich, one of the top violinists of today.
You two are making me really hungry for live music. Unfortunately, we are otherwise occupied those dates, even though we live close and are fully vaxxed :/

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #13,778 of 14,566
nothing wrong with scheduling the vacation schedule around EPS's performance calendar - in fact, I might do it.

Jun 4, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #13,779 of 14,566
Yes, calling something "incomplete science" implies there is some scientific basis. In most such cases there is not.
Point taken. How about yesterday’s or obsolete science? The state of science is an evolving one. My favorite science quote is Richard Feynman’s: “Science is belief in the ignorance of experts.”

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 4, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #13,780 of 14,566
cover.jpg

Feynman does accompanying vocals on this album. It is odd but I like it

Jun 4, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #13,781 of 14,566
any word on the fate of the sante fe downs? seems there was some request for proposals 4 years ago but all's quiet.

I should've stayed there. The drive to Austin took forever.

I have not heard or seen any news about the Downs. I believe one of the local Pueblos now owns it yet nothing has been done with the facility.

Jun 4, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #13,782 of 14,566
Point taken. How about yesterday’s or obsolete science? The state of science is an evolving one. My favorite science quote is Richard Feynman’s: “Science is belief in the ignorance of experts.”
I like that. :)

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #13,783 of 14,566
Before I rush off to California Schiit, let me hasten to add a few comments on opera houses, mostly good as well as bad. Please note I am not a FLIO (Fan of light Italian Opera) to speak of. My opera world revolves around mostly Wagner and Richard Strauss. Oops, forgot Mozart.

Mecca=Bayrueth although the hidden orchestra makes me feel I am watching a New York Broadway show.

Amazing sounding Santa Fe. Outside with few walls. Really sux when it rains, if you’re between the roof awnings..

The Met has variable sound and visiblity.

Vienna Staatsoper has a really good sound, and a less stilted norm of patrons. No broomsticks up their ass like Berlin or Paris. Neither are there sandwich munchers or farters like Milan.

I saved the worst for last. LA opera's Disney home sounds like ass. I would rather be chained to a 24 hour ride on “Its a Small World, After All” without a box cutters for relief. The old Dorothy Chandler Pavilion was soooooooooooooooo much better.

The first Beta switchers for Urd will really be shipping next week. More on that in the next post.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 4, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #13,785 of 14,566
I do like the atmosphere at Verona, though it's extortionately expensive and if a drop of rain is within 5 miles the orchestra ups and buggers off, leaving (in our case) poor old Mario Cavardossi singing and looking around him wondering what the hell was going on. It looked as though there had been no brief for was happened in rain.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back