What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,251 of 14,566
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #5,252 of 14,566
Mike, have multiple listeners auditioned with the same piece(s) of music? If so, did they reach a consistent control setting for the sweet spot? I'm just wondering how subjective the process is, if there is significant variation per listener, then evaluation of a Gadget-processed digital file created by another listener might not be very helpful, even if Pietro or someone else can provide material with no ASCAP issues.

I suppose this question implies that you have a Gadget prototype with telemetry to report the settings after the listener finds the sweet spot?
I think I would only listen to the differences knowing that in the end I can make my own changes.
See it more as a proof of concept.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #5,254 of 14,566

I must close with a quick music review. Michael Gielen (the conductor of my favorite Mahler cycle) also has released a Bruckner cycle. This is an odd cycle as it has versions of the various older than those commonly released. Unsettling at first, there are many similarities. I must say, the Adagios from the Seventh and Eighth are absolutely wonderful, the very best I have ever heard!

Just curious if you've heard the Georg Tintner Bruckner cycle on Naxos, and what you think of it? I posted some comments and questions about it on a music forum some years ago , and Tintner's widow actually responded to me. I'm not a real aficionado of Bruckner's work, but have the 4th and 7th from this cycle and find them to be very good.

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #5,255 of 14,566
No danger of my drinking the coffee — I am a total coffee snob. However, if the Schiitr wants to up its coffee game, I can recommend the Gaggia Accademia and the Breville Oracle as super automatic espresso machines. Obviously, a semi-automatic machine would not be suitable for the general public; grinding and tamping requires skill.

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #5,257 of 14,566
Blame me for fast reading but for a minute I thought Gadget suddenly made Dolly Parton a major winner, $chiit happens ya know ^^

Hummm, Dolly might have some words to say to you (although I would expect her to remain a Southern gentlewoman) ... That is assuming she wasn't too busy heading to the bank to deposit her $19 million in earnings (2016), adding it to her $500 million net worth! To borrow a phrase from a former President of the USA, I guess it depends on what your definition of "winner" is.
:):):):):):)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #5,258 of 14,566
No danger of my drinking the coffee — I am a total coffee snob. However, if the Schiitr wants to up its coffee game, I can recommend the Gaggia Accademia and the Breville Oracle as super automatic espresso machines. Obviously, a semi-automatic machine would not be suitable for the general public; grinding and tamping requires skill.

I think an Aeropress or two would fit their company philosophy better. No, it's not espresso, but it does make the best darn cup of coffee you can get.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #5,259 of 14,566
I think an Aeropress or two would fit their company philosophy better. No, it's not espresso, but it does make the best darn cup of coffee you can get.
I think you there in the USA don't even know what good coffee is.
Even a straight espresso is Americanized and doesn't even resemble the real Italian stuff.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #5,261 of 14,566
Even a straight espresso is Americanized and doesn't even resemble the real Italian stuff.
Perhaps but don't forget the 'real stuff' does not originate from Italy.. North Africa if I am not mistaken.
We have 6.5K between the grinder and expresso machine in our office(beans are sourced from a local roaster Agtron), but for an inexpensive solution the arrow press is very convenient.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #5,262 of 14,566

+1 As someone who has drank coffee in both Italy and the US on numerous occasions I heartily agree with you.

JC

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #5,263 of 14,566
Oct 25, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #5,265 of 14,566

I'll mostly disagree with your first comment, though like most things (audio included) the majority of people in any country go for mundane, inferior cheap stuff, and only those who care to, understand and appreciate the better stuff. Plenty of exceptional coffee to be had in the US, even if most people drip Folgers through a Mr. coffee and stir in some powdered "creamer." Many of us have grown past that.

However, unlike you, I won't toss disparaging comments about your country of origin or the people there. I'm sure there are both people there who appreciate a fine brew, and those who drink sludge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back