What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 18, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #706 of 14,566
  I'm sorry, must be my subjective side that can't seem to react calmly to unprovoked nonsense xenophobia.

Please allow me to put it differently, then:
Show the exact same determination to eradicate, what you dub, "hate speech" and "unprovoked nonsense xenophobia" towards others in the areas of the forum that you yourself moderate, as well as in your own interventions, and then get back to me. Then we talk. Until then, I have zero interest in pissing contests, shouting matches and assorted mud fights.

My interest lies squarely in sound, and science. As Ableza points out, both are conspicuously absent in the Sound Science quarters...

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #708 of 14,566
  But this ain't easy, nor cheap, so not for your resident sceptic (aka as "objectivist").

To be honest, it really sounded "a little" snarky... Not to add to the drama, but as of late, I notice significantly more snide remarks towards objectivist camp than the other way round... speaking of mirrors.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #710 of 14,566
  Now for something completely different - here is a link really more appropriate to the "gadget" and cognitive audio experience in particular.  The gadget has been stuck pending some software transcoding that is somewhat fussy and "temperamental".  Fascinating stuff which can explain much about us (audiophiles) and exactly why most other people just don't understand us:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jun/17/breakthrough-in-understanding-the-chills-and-thrills-of-musical-rapture

An amazing read.

My take away of that research goes like this.

If the basic wiring of the brain is essentially different in type and kind by these 2 groups then the brain has 'grown' itself those ways.
And yes I'm generalizing, and so is the research by dividing those who listen into only 2 groups.

Still, that the internal mapping of the brain can even be adequately described in this way, tells me some have developed cognitive functions which are more 'involved' with additional areas of the brain.

This may be yet another indication that some peoples hearing is more 'involved' than others.

This 'involvement' has aspects of analytic AND emotional functions of the mind.
Obviously if some are moved emotionally (i.e. chills down the spine) and with other reactions of similar types and kinds, while others may not have these experiences…
Well that at least speaks to ones direct personal involvement with the music itself as it is experienced over time.

And I can attest to the power of our emotions by a musically triggered situation where the music has brought me to tears.
I'm not alone in this.

IOW if/as we become captivated (motivated to stay involved) with experiencing our music then it, in and of itself, becomes a sufficient impetus to pay attention to, and focus our awareness upon, that which we desire.
This is what makes our brains 'grow' in certain ways.

Some may say it's a matter of genetics, and it likely does have an influence, but my take on it is, it's our creative ability to follow where our curiosity, our desire and our emotional attachment, points us, and we will all too happily follow.

Now what makes some NEED to listen to music vs others who just like to, is an open question.
One I could only haphazardly guess at.

But this does tend to reinforce the notion of 'golden ears' doesn't it…
atsmile.gif

JJ

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #711 of 14,566
  But this does tend to reinforce the notion of 'golden ears' doesn't it…
atsmile.gif

And that 'golden ears' have precious little to do with the 'ears' per se -- it's more about the 'brain'. And the peculiar wiring of the synapses doing the processing of incoming signals coming from the ears... In this sense, ears are little more than passive conduits of signals from acoustic energy to nerve impulses inside the brain, which  then does all the magic.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #712 of 14,566
  IOW if/as we become captivated (motivated to stay involved) with experiencing our music then it, in and of itself, becomes a sufficient impetus to pay attention to, and focus our awareness upon, that which we desire.
This is what makes our brains 'grow' in certain ways.

Can't say that I've ever gotten goosebumps from a piece of music.  But there are pieces that captivate me and I just want to hear them again and again and again.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #713 of 14,566
  Can't say that I've ever gotten goosebumps from a piece of music.  But there are pieces that captivate me and I just want to hear them again and again and again.

That degree of compulsion is akin to a spontaneous emotional reaction or burst as I experienced it.

Some times, and seemingly out of nowhere, a piece of music can just grab me, and not let go.
I can't NOT listen, I have no choice.

This is where the terms SuperGlue and I HEARD came from.

It's more rare to have a physical body reaction such as chills, or goosebumps, automatic blink response, or head jerks.
Or tears.

But when I have 'hit a lick' there is no way I would ever want it to stop.

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #714 of 14,566
How about 'I just have to hear one more songe before going to sleep' amd suddenly an hour is already over when you thought about it? :sunglasses:

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #715 of 14,566
How about 'I just have to hear one more songe before going to sleep' amd suddenly an hour is already over when you thought about it? :sunglasses:

A classic case of SuperGlue if ever there was one…

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #716 of 14,566
I am going to guess that music puts you in your "Happy Place" by activation of Dopaminergic neurons in the Substantia nigra in the brain. There is no way for surface electrodes to measure subcortical grey matter activity and this requires more elaborate measures such as functional MRI. That does not mean that surface electrode studies should not be done as activation of hippocampal and frontal neurons would be a good surrogate.

The effect of losing time that is being described would most likely give decreased frontal activity and enhanced activity elsewhere if measured.(Just a supposition)

I think I need to do some reading.

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #717 of 14,566
As a kid I used to get chills just on my head when listening to music. Sometimes even only half...like only one side.

Nowadays with better ear training and better equipment, the chills now can be all over - legs, back, arms, and head. It can even move around. I have no control over it.

I knew there was a brain connection in there that must be connected with other areas. Thanks for posting!

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #718 of 14,566
Jun 30, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #720 of 14,566
  In other news, highres audio gets some support from scientists.  I know I like cymbals better at a high sampling rate.

People can hear the difference in high resolution audio, study finds

Study? We don't need No Stinking Study.

I am curious about the Gear they used, Most people that tell me they cant hear a difference between formats change nothing but the format while leaving the chain the same which is fine if its at least some decent gear but many times its not. The all in one Home theater in a box , Speaker bar etc will sound like crap no matter what format.IMHO Format is part, albeit a big part, but part of the overall equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back