What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 16, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #691 of 14,566

Really, despite the collective salivating of the membership here, it would be irresponsible to launch such a multibit ADC product without some sort of potential proaudio market demographic study.
Even a questionnaire might prove an effective barometer of the recording studios' receptiveness to such a conversion product upgrade, provided that they actually understood the technical rationale behind its inherent superiority, and that the proper individual with commensurate influence if not authority was targeted within each company.  The latter would probably be the most difficult and likely to require some of that marketing overhead, unless an extensive contact base has been already cultivated over the years with our seasoned vets at Schiit Audio.

Good points. For what it's worth, Chord is also mooting the introduction of an ADC based on its own DS tech, so this could be seen as pointing towards potential demand. Given their historic pricing schemes, I don't expect it to get anywhere near Mike's ballpark...

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #692 of 14,566
Hmmmm.  That may very well be a tell.

After posting that MFSL GAIN 1/2 timeline, I get the impression that the proaudio studio ADC systems are fairly elaborate and expensive, so that Mike's $3500 jobber most likely would be aimed primarily at the consumer market, as Chord's evidently is.  With the resurgence of vinyl, there's got to be a niche market for converting record collections to digital files for mobile streaming, however extensive.  As well as the grassroots garage bands, may they long continue to flourish. 

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #693 of 14,566
Now for something completely different - here is a link really more appropriate to the "gadget" and cognitive audio experience in particular.  The gadget has been stuck pending some software transcoding that is somewhat fussy and "temperamental".  Fascinating stuff which can explain much about us (audiophiles) and exactly why most other people just don't understand us:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jun/17/breakthrough-in-understanding-the-chills-and-thrills-of-musical-rapture

An amazing read.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 18, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #694 of 14,566
Nice read Mike. So some people do not get the 'chills' as some of us do. Fascinating.

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #695 of 14,566
  Fascinating stuff which can explain much about us (audiophiles) and exactly why most other people just don't understand us:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jun/17/breakthrough-in-understanding-the-chills-and-thrills-of-musical-rapture

Exactly! Different people have different sensitivities. And the Double Blind methodology in testing, when attempting to dissect human perceptions to music, could be thought of as like using a hammer to perform delicate surgery --- unfit for the purpose. The only sensible way to go about it, when dealing with perceptions, is to closely monitor the brain activity in an unintrusive setting as possible, then start the guesswork on which activity in which side of the brain is indicative of what effect...

But this ain't easy, nor cheap, so not for your resident sceptic (aka as "objectivist").

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #696 of 14,566
  But this ain't easy, nor cheap, so not for your resident sceptic (aka as "objectivist").

I came across that a few days ago but hadn't made the link between that and so-called "objectivism."  As Spock would say, "Fascinating."

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #697 of 14,566

Fascinating stuff which can explain much about us (audiophiles) and exactly why most other people just don't understand us:

Exactly! Different people have different sensitivities. And the Double Blind methodology in testing, when attempting to dissect human perceptions to music, could be thought of as like using a hammer to perform delicate surgery --- unfit for the purpose. The only sensible way to go about it, when dealing with perceptions, is to closely monitor the brain activity in an unintrusive setting as possible, then start the guesswork on which activity in which side of the brain is indicative of what effect...

non intrusive brainwave monitoring, hey sure we all have that lying around somewhere in the garage. why didn't I think of using this for myself?
rolleyes.gif
always the same silly cheap skeptic me.
care to explain how someone using such device is a subjectivist? I point that out because you decided to openly oppose this to objectivism for some weird reason I don't understand.
and why exactly are you even bringing up blind test? a guy listens to music, if he gets goose bumps, you have a physical manifestation on his arm or wherever. they're monitoring brain waves because they're trying to find out why some have more than others, it is independent to the purpose of blind test that is simply to limit the number of variables in a trial. in fact there is nothing to say that both should be mutually exclusive or that some form of variable control wasn't used in this experiment.

you really need to work on your speech style. I know it's hard as speech so often correlates with lack of data. maybe tell what you wrote to some friends with a non intrusive brainwave monitoring apparatus before posting, to show us how you're not as cheap as an objectivist, and maybe avoid posting when it triggers the facepalm area of the brain too often?
just some ideas.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #698 of 14,566
Originally Posted by castleofargh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

non intrusive brainwave monitoring, hey sure we all have that lying around somewhere in the garage. why didn't I think of using this for myself? 
rolleyes.gif
always the same silly cheap skeptic me.
care to explain how someone using such device is a subjectivist? I point that out because you decided to openly oppose this to objectivism for some weird reason I don't understand.
and why exactly are you even bringing up blind test? a guy listens to music, if he gets goose bumps, you have a physical manifestation on his arm or wherever. they're monitoring brain waves because they're trying to find out why some have more than others, it is independent to the purpose of blind test that is simply to limit the number of variables in a trial. in fact there is nothing to say that both should be mutually exclusive or that some form of variable control wasn't used in this experiment.

you really need to work on your speech style. I know it's hard as speech so often correlates with lack of data. maybe tell what you wrote to some friends with a non intrusive brainwave monitoring apparatus before posting, to show us how you're not as cheap as an objectivist, and maybe avoid posting when it triggers the facepalm area of the brain too often?
just some ideas.

Yeah, I really don't think you have much to teach others in terms of manners or style. Before lecturing others, take a good deep look in the mirror.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #699 of 14,566
I'm sorry, must be my subjective side that can't seem to react calmly to unprovoked nonsense xenophobia.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #700 of 14,566
yee gods.  This is why the so-called "sound science" forums are no place for me.  They are full of neither sound nor science.  Mostly just a bunch of sniping at other people's opinions.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #701 of 14,566
Yeah, I really don't think you have much to teach others in terms of manners or style. Before lecturing others, take a good deep look in the mirror.

I'm sorry, must be my subjective side that can't seem to react calmly to unprovoked nonsense xenophobia.

Hate speech...chuckle!

Some Schiit is just perception based...however it's definitely worth spending a lot of time arguing about -- UGH.

BTW, each of you has a different audiologist report and your brains are unique; processing things based a variety of experiences past and present.

Here's a thought. Enjoy some music!

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #703 of 14,566
  yee gods.  This is why the so-called "sound science" forums are no place for me.  They are full of neither sound nor science.  Mostly just a bunch of sniping at other people's opinions.

so just to be clear, I'm not sound science. at best I'm the "not good at his job" cop of sound science. no need for even more weird amalgams.
so yeah I'm not being nice to one guy with what I believe to be good reasons(his post really makes no sense and I explain why, feel free to argue on that if I'm wrong). if I was a more mature guy, I would have flagged his post and asked it to be deleted. but you know how it is when someone really pisses you off with utter nonsense, sometimes you lose your cool. I'm to blame for that, it's a fact.
but he made an attack against a full group of people for no rational reason. he initiated this out of nowhere, and nobody bats an eye. my understanding is that when TOS mention avoiding personal attack, it doesn't mean that if we attack a all lot of people at once, then it's cool.
angry_face.gif
  nobody would tolerate that crap if it was racial or religious, but objectivists/skeptics, just post whatever nonsense and it's cool, we're used to it so it must be cool right? no it's not, xenophobia is xenophobia whatever the tag you put on "them" the bad guys, the enemy, the ones we wish we could get rid of. and yes as you can see it does drive me mad and make me say stupid things. doesn't change my opinion on his post thought and doesn't makes me less mad that nobody else seems offended by it.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #704 of 14,566

so just to be clear, I'm not sound science. at best I'm the "not good at his job" cop of sound science. no need for even more weird amalgams.
so yeah I'm not being nice to one guy with what I believe to be good reasons(his post really makes no sense and I explain why, feel free to argue on that if I'm wrong). if I was a more mature guy, I would have flagged his post and asked it to be deleted. but you know how it is when someone really pisses you off with utter nonsense, sometimes you lose your cool. I'm to blame for that, it's a fact.
but he made an attack against a full group of people for no rational reason. he initiated this out of nowhere, and nobody bats an eye. my understanding is that when TOS mention avoiding personal attack, it doesn't mean that if we attack a all lot of people at once, then it's cool.
angry_face.gif
  nobody would tolerate that crap if it was racial or religious, but objectivists/skeptics, just post whatever nonsense and it's cool, we're used to it so it must be cool right? no it's not, xenophobia is xenophobia whatever the tag you put on "them" the bad guys, the enemy, the ones we wish we could get rid of. and yes as you can see it does drive me mad and make me say stupid things. doesn't change my opinion on his post thought and doesn't makes me less mad that nobody else seems offended by it.

And thus you make my point.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #705 of 14,566
I don't even know what's going on here... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back