What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 1, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,611 of 14,566
I wrote a bit about Tuesday's Fidelio at the Met. I stand by those remarks, but add a few more from Onegin:

First, my experience with Tchaik's instrumental works has been one of interest but not overweening respect. I don't regard his piano or violin concertos as definitive exemplars of the genre as I do those of Beethoven and Brahms. At one point I was even known to term him 'the Rihanna of classical music.' 

Onegin shocked me in its emotional impact and reach. 

First, the story (Pushkin's) was one of adult seriousness. I won't summarize it here, but unlike many operas, it examines love with sober realism. Tchaikovsky gives his characters ample opportunities to reveal their feelings in well placed and written arias. The structure of the opera is episodic, such that there are large gaps that the audience must piece together. For a russian at the time of the premiere—or indeed the present day—this is not a tall order. Even for an American, though, the events are connected sufficiently that the experience of filling in gaps is neither difficult nor unpleasant—especially with the program notes. Unlike Beethoven, who writes for voices as though they were virtuosic instruments (a fault that perhaps Wagner shares), Tchaikovsky's vocal lines are consummately lyrical. There are perhaps a few too many set changes, but the production would have to have been quite modern indeed to elide them into a Wieland Wagner-esque ethereality. 

Anna Netrebko was a vision. Indeed, after seeing her, I want to know when she's going to try Eva, Senta, Elsa, and Elisabeth on for size. Sieglinde might be a bridge too far—the triple crown of Wagner certainly would be—but her voice has a dark and luxurious musk that made her performance in Elixir (opening night 2012) just unspeakably sensuous and wonderful. Just to be very crude for a moment, you expect your bel canto sopranos to be a "Q701" and she shows up as an "LCD-2." That she is also a striking beauty and a gifted actress makes the question the more urgent. Wagnerians have typically been bad actors (Martha Mödl and Frida Leider excepted), and every gifted actress and actor we can rope in (PLEASE DO TRISTAN JONAS KAUFMANN!!!!) will make an indelibly fine impact on the recorded history of Wagner performance.

Very few composers excel in both instrumental and operatic music. My list previously ran Vivaldi, Handel, Mozart. I now emphatically add Tchaikovsky to that list. As to the twentieth century, I will get there in due course.

EDIT: Jk adding Richard Strauss rn

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2,612 of 14,566
Well I talked to Jason at the Schiitr today in LA and he told me what the "Eitr" is. But I told him I won't tell anyone so you'll have to wait a few more days for the official announcement. It should be a pretty popular item for them. Some people in this thread have already correctly guessed what it is. Target price is pretty cheap, sub Mimby.  I know I'm going to get one. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,613 of 14,566
Well I talked to Jason at the Schiitr today in LA and he told me what the "Eitr" is. But I told him I won't tell anyone so you'll have to wait a few more days for the official announcement. It should be a pretty popular item for them. Some people in this thread have already correctly guessed what it is. Target price is pretty cheap, sub Mimby.  I know I'm going to get one. 

The suspense!

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,614 of 14,566

Ladies and gentlemen, get your credit cards ready!

Apr 2, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,619 of 14,566
  I mean it's been announced on April 1. Either this is a hilarious stunt or truly brilliant marketing by Jason.

The latter. 

Yes, you did manage to redeem yourself by including Ricard Strauss in your postscript.  Im Abendrot may be the most exquisite song ever written.  How does one choose between Salome, Arabella, Ariadne auf Naxos, and Die Frau Ohne Schatten??  How does one person write both Salome and Der Rosenkavalier?  The tone poems? Metamorphosen?

Although he did not start it, he capped off the incomparable canon of German Romantic work.  One can only imagine what our musical universe would be like today had Mahler lived.  Although there are exceptions (Otello, some Puccini moments), Italian opera merely makes me want to eat a salami panino as they do in Milan.  I may only be obtuse as opposed to a Francophobe, but I have little affinity for French music, much as I have tried.  At least Italian music makes me hungry.  I could probably appreciate Russian opera more if I could get past the notion of Heldenbasses and evil tenors.

Ah but the Krauts and the Osterreicher!  Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss.  These are the works which bring me to states for which there are no words.  OK, OK, there are a few throwbacks in one genre, such as Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, and Gorecki.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 2, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #2,620 of 14,566
  The latter. 

Yes, you did manage to redeem yourself by including Ricard Strauss in your postscript.  Im Abendrot may be the most exquisite song ever written.  How does one choose between Salome, Arabella, Ariadne auf Naxos, and Die Frau Ohne Schatten??  How does one person write both Salome and Der Rosenkavalier?  The tone poems? Metamorphosen?

Although he did not start it, he capped off the incomparable canon of German Romantic work.  One can only imagine what our musical universe would be like today had Mahler lived.  Although there are exceptions (Otello, some Puccini moments), Italian opera merely makes me want to eat a salami panini as they do in Milan.  I may only be obtuse as opposed to a Francophobe, but I have little affinity for French music, much as I have tried.  At least Italian music makes me hungry.  I could probably appreciate Russian opera more if I could get past the notion of Heldenbasses and evil tenors.

Ah but the Krauts and the Osterreichen!  Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss.  These are the works which bring me to states for which there are no words.  OK, OK, there are a few throwbacks in one genre, such as Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, and Gorecki.

That pretty much nails it for me!

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #2,621 of 14,566
  Ah but the Krauts and the Osterreichen!  Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss.  These are the works which bring me to states for which there are no words. 

Krauts? More than half of those guys are Austrian......  
beerchug.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #2,625 of 14,566
Osterreichen.

That must be me......   I was born there almost 70 years ago.

Love Richard.Strauss and Gustav Mahler, but also Rimsky-Korsakoff (Scheherezade, Sadko (Song of India, I think rates up there with Scheherezade))   and Capriccio Espagnol is just marvellous........
beerchug.gif

French composers such as Gabriel Faure and Benjamin Godard can be sublime......

Frederic Chopin is a love/hate affair.  Some of his piano compositions are just "plink, plink....", and yet others are true delights.......  

There is more to music than just opera....  just sayin'......   
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back