What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 4, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,191 of 14,566

1. The Manhattan is a huge upgrade for any music which ever lived in the real world or is based upon structured music theory; that would be pop, rock, jazz, classical, etc. For monotonic or arbitrary music such as many forms of techno or rap, zero to less so.

Will this be for stuff with more regular time signatures or will genres like progressive metal work fine too? (bands like Haken or Animals as Leaders)

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #2,192 of 14,566
As we stand, I view two or maybe three versions of the MP (Manhattan Project).  The goal is to have the first, reduced feature set (The one we are currently auditioning) in a Modi/Magni sized box at an affordable price.  It would connect prior to the D/A converter.  There is NO special equipment, encode/decode (a la MQA or Dolby), or any purchase required other than our one hardware box, which will perform its function with any other DAC products, although the sonic character of the DAC still matters.  It works equally well with vocals and instruments.  It is still a bit early, pending some other soon to be in the wild Schiit products to discuss socket flavors or connectivity.

We still have several significant milestones before production:
A.  Organize and optimize Ivana's code and libraries for Dave.
B.  As a result of A, design hardware with appropriate speed, buss width, and memory.
C.  Prototype and production engineer.

Since this product is as different as it is, this may take a while.  Believe me, I want to get it out as much as you want to hear it.

And now for something completely different.  I just deleted as many posts as I have total in the history of this thread.  One was a lapse in good taste, and two were noble rescuers, who despite their good intentions left the context of the poor taste for all to view.  Despite the deletions, I certainly appreciate the nobility. 

I may be a horrible offender in terms of occasionally crude utterances and contempt of some technologies, but despite the intensity of those feelings will never, never allow myself nor others personal remarks, ever.

Is "Dave" under Point A a reference to the Chord product?

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,193 of 14,566

Lol...No. Read through the two Schiit threads here and you will see Dave's name pop up a lot. He is an employee of Schiit and appears to be quite a valuable one!

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,194 of 14,566

Dave is Mike's right hand.  I guess Dr. Ivana is now the left hand.

Has Dave cooked up any wyrd special sauce for the Manhattan yet?

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,195 of 14,566
I assume walwart for the smallest MP version. Hope it can be powered by floor wart:grin:

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #2,196 of 14,566

Will this be for stuff with more regular time signatures or will genres like progressive metal work fine too? (bands like Haken or Animals as Leaders)

I'm not Mike and I certainly have very little knowledge of DSP in general let alone the Manhattan but most prog metal is actually fairly well recorded and handled, I have no trouble seeing the genre benefit from it if stuff like pop and rock do.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #2,197 of 14,566

Hopefully BiFrost depending on computing horsepower.

Bifrost is 136.69 cubic inches; current Mac Mini is 83 cubic inches. 

Gungnir is 315 cubic inches; Mac Pro is 338.7 cubic inches.

I can't imagine a third box being Yggdrasil-big unless the power supply absolutely demanded it. Is power supply noise as important for the Manhattan as for DACs and amps?

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #2,199 of 14,566
Do you think the MP would still be as effective if I put it between my Dspeaker Dual Core and my Gumby? Sounds like a very interesting product so far! :D

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #2,200 of 14,566
PreDac...new component in the making:grinning:

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,201 of 14,566
Manhattan: More And Better Schiit. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,202 of 14,566
After Manhattan i wonder where would wyrd fit in? Newer schiit wryd or DDC?

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,203 of 14,566
Wyrd still de-crapifies the USB signal, so I imagine that will still be needed for certain folks.  The Manhattan seems to be just a DSP processor that will (likely) accept multiple inputs (usb, coax, optical).  There is no need to decrapify a coax signal for instance...

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,205 of 14,566
I, for one, could not care less about the physical size.  Get it ready for prime time and bring out the whole enchilada version even if it has to be 6RU.  I look forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back