Wetshaving
Jul 15, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #16 of 109
Ahhh... so I guess it's safe to assume that the Uncle Erik I keep seeing on B&B is you...

Quote:
Another wetshaver here. My usual setup is an Edwin Jagger DE89L, Feather blades, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, a large Rooney Beehive brush, and a green Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle. It took a little while to find the right combination of razor and blade, but this shaves incredibly close and leaves me with zero irritation.

I've been trying out the Muehle R89 and Mitchell's Wool Fat myself too.  Actually I got a crap load of soaps now, probably last me 2 years.  Oh well...

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 109
I always nick myself when I wetshave. I just use a razor with a fairly new blade on perfectly dry skin. Gets a nice clean shave with no nicks.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 109

Ahhh... so I guess it's safe to assume that the Uncle Erik I keep seeing on B&B is you...

I've been trying out the Muehle R89 and Mitchell's Wool Fat myself too.  Actually I got a crap load of soaps now, probably last me 2 years.  Oh well...

Yep, that's me! B&B is the only other forum I like well enough to participate at.

And having too much gear is only half the fun!

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 109
I wetshave also :) i have a nice little collection, havent needed to add to it for quite some time now.

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #22 of 109

Quote:
I'll be the goat add my support for Fusion+Barbasol. It just works for me.

BARBASOL, THE BEARD BUSTER!

I have just your standard drug store bought Fusion and Gillette shaving gel/foam. I've been getting more irritation these days, especially on the neck, but straight razors worry me and I have no idea where I'd get the training to handle it properly-- Wait a sec, I have the internet!

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #24 of 109

Quote:
I'll be the goat add my support for Fusion+Barbasol. It just works for me.

Have you tried anything other than a Fusion?  I used to think the Fusion gave me a good shave.  The primary reason I switched was for cost.  I can't seem to find the reference at the moment, but did you know that the $4 cartridge costs about five to eight cents to manufacture?  Sure, P&G has other costs, but they would still make a healthy margin at $1.  What I use now is 40 cents per blade.

But like I was saying, I thought the Fusion was a good razor and I was prepared to have a lesser shave just to stop throwing money away.  So I took an old DE I had seriously and started to learn how to properly use it.  The shaves kept getting better and I was happy with the change.

A couple of months ago, I found a new Fusion cartridge under the sink.  So I did the usual prep and gave it a try.  It was awful.  I could feel it pull and tug, it missed spots and I had a bit of razor bun afterward.  I used to think that was "normal" and thought that the sting of alcohol was just part of shaving.

Today, the DE glides like it's not even cutting, though it is, and there is zero irritation.  So little, I can put straight rubbing alcohol on my face and the burn isn't there.  Further, the Fusion shaves kept me clean-shaven for 7-8 hours.  This keeps me clean-shaven for about twice that long.

This is for 10% of the cost of the old way.  Why would I go back?

Quote:
I have just your standard drug store bought Fusion and Gillette shaving gel/foam. I've been getting more irritation these days, especially on the neck, but straight razors worry me and I have no idea where I'd get the training to handle it properly-- Wait a sec, I have the internet!

Don't start with a straight.  I used one years ago (still have it), but there's a steep learning curve.  What you want is a DE - or double-edged safety razor.  There are a number of new ones being made by Merkur, Edwin-Jagger, Muhle, Feather, Parker, Pils, and others at a variety of prices.  You can also find good shaving vintage Gillettes at lots of antique and junk stores.  They usually clean up well and you can sterilize them in a pot of boiling water.

DE blades are widely manufactured and easily available.  If you get a razor, pick up a sampler pack of blades so you can find what works for you.  A couple of vendors I like and trust are West Coast Shaving and Bullgoose.

For instruction, go to YouTube and look up Mantic's videos.  He covers everything.

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #25 of 109
Wetshaver checking in here. I use both DE razer Merkur Future and straight Dovo Bergischer Lowe.  My shaving soaps/creams are from Art of Shaving and Trumpers.  Awesome stuff, my regret is that I should have discovered the hobbie sooner
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #26 of 109
The dovo mountain lion aka bergischer lowe is a lovely razor, full hollow singing razor and one i came close to buying, the gold wash coming off is what put me off in the end, so i went with a thiers issard 5/8" flying tudor rose with cocobolo scales.

I was to harsh with her so i had to put her to once side and learn with a sturdier vintage, now im good the ti is by far my best shaver, just needs a gentle touch.

Indeed a de is the best way to start, heck id suggest a gem featherweight that i have just bought, it's a beauty of a razor and so far the only blade bar a straight that gives me a clean close shave with no irritation. Handy for those days that i don't fancy using a straight which can take all your concentration at times.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #27 of 109
I used Sensor blades before Fusion. I hate to shave but I hate having a beard so I let it go a few days between shaves. The Fusion mows it down thoroughly and comfortably, moreso than anything else I've tried. If I were into the shaving experience, I'd try the DE or straight razors. I tried going back to Sensor because of the cost, but Fusion spoiled me.

Quote:

Have you tried anything other than a Fusion?  I used to think the Fusion gave me a good shave.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #28 of 109
I just received my badger brush and col conk soap on saturday... 

where has this been all my life!?  I am still using a mach3, but this is a world of difference!  smoother, closer, more comfortable, doesnt smell like deodorant...  I cant wait to try a de! 

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #29 of 109
Congrats on your first DE... I have had mine for over a year now and its always fun making up some kick ass face lather!

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #30 of 109
I just received my badger brush and col conk soap on saturday... 

where has this been all my life!?  I am still using a mach3, but this is a world of difference!  smoother, closer, more comfortable, doesnt smell like deodorant...  I cant wait to try a de! 

Nice! A badger brush and soap make quite a difference, and do not be surprised if the step up from multi blade to DE razor is just as big.
I highly recommend one of the Gillette Adjustables from the 1950-60s.

bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back