Wetshaving
Jul 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

Huxley

1000+ Head-Fier
Bit unusual i know, i reside on badger and blade which is kind of a similar vein to head fi, a bunch of shaving enthusiasts. Anyway i've seen one or two folk on there mention head fi so im thinking just how many of you wet shave.

And im not on about gillette, more a good de razor or even better a straight. I have some amazing shaves and it works out far cheaper, although like here you can have your acquisition disorders, my last razor was $400 and my top honing stone is $120.
redface.gif

So folk, how many of you take part in this fine art?

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 109
i very much enjoy partaking in proper shaves, but unfortunately my only opportunity to do so is at the barber shop

my wife is afraid that I will slit my throat, so straights are banned from the home :frowning2: 

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 109
Checking in!
I have been wetshaving since 2007, when I had my first one at a barbershop in Turkey.

My daily shaving gear

During these years I have put together quite a collection of gear. *blush*

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 109
I wetshave too, but in a totally obnoxious modern fashion.  I use a Panasonic electric that is designed to be used wet or dry.  The wet shave is incredibly easy on the skin and the shave is closer than anything I have ever enjoyed.  I do it at the end of a shower, when the whiskers are softest.  When I am finished, it is soft as smooth as silk.  Been at it for over 15 years.

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 109
Another wetshaver here. My usual setup is an Edwin Jagger DE89L, Feather blades, Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, a large Rooney Beehive brush, and a green Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle. It took a little while to find the right combination of razor and blade, but this shaves incredibly close and leaves me with zero irritation.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 109
Quote:
Checking in!
I have been wetshaving since 2007, when I had my first one at a barbershop in Turkey.

My daily shaving gear

During these years I have put together quite a collection of gear. *blush*

I pretty much started out wetshaving (thanks to my dad). I use the exact same brush and soap (Col Conk). I'm quite fond of my Merkur 38C with Gillette 7 o'clock blades. I would love to give straight razors a go but they're a little out of my league money wise right now. How's that sandalwood? I might have to give it a try.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 109

Quote:
How's that sandalwood? I might have to give it a try.

The C&E Sandalwood is really nice.
Lathers quite nicely and I really like the smell. Not quite as smooth as the Arko stick, but the smell is more pleasant.

I would love to give straight razor shaving a try, but have not taken the step so far. We will see..

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #12 of 109
Some nice gear there krmathis, straights can be very pricey like anything it depends on how far you want to go.

I have quite a few soaps and creams, p160 being one of my favourites, though eshave mandarin works lovely with the straight for some reason, not so much with a de.

Anyway here's some of mine.

Genco "easy aces"

And the rest starting from top left, gold dollar 200[meh], prima, vintage thiers issard and a dubl duck goldedge.

The thiers issard is a beauty, new but made from blanks that are around 70-100 years old, by far my best shaver.

I also have a couple of brushes, a blue marble best badger shavemac which is lovely, and this my frankenbrush. It's an omega 49 handle reamed out to take a 28mm tgn silvertip knot, it's a cream only brush and it's massive.

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 109
I wet shave in the shower with a Gillette Mach 3 Disposable and Edge Advance Gel. Works for me.

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #14 of 109

Wet shaver here as well. I do have a nice collection but only use four things really and out of those 4, three get the most use:

1. Proroaso Shaving Cream

2. Custom DIY Made Badger Brush

3. Re-plated custom handle Gillette (looks similar to this one):

My other goodies include an original Gillette shaving brush in minty condition, a Gillette Fat Boy, 2 Gillette slims and few others I can't remember. I use Derby blades.

I usually shave after taking a hot shower, prepare my Proraso in a big latte cup filled with hot water topped off with a smaller soup cup that fits it perfectly. I then apply the lather, shave down, shave cross-grain and on special occasions, against the grain. I follow this up with a splash of Aqua Velva and finish it off with my super icy cold DIY after-shave balm (AWESOME during summer and amazing during winter!!!). Zero irritation and my wife loves the smell and feel of my post-shave face. If my wife is happy then I am supper happy.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 109
ahh! ive begun seeing more and more shaving articles/threads lately and im starting to think its time to just take the plunge and buy the stuff i need to do this. ive had 3 items on my Amazon account marked as "Saved Items--To Buy Later" since May of last year, so please tell me what you guys think. any recommendations would be nice since i am very much the newbie at this, but i sure do enjoy a good shave and since i am now financially able to dip into this fine practice... well, here they are.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E248VK/ref=ord_cart_shr
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AZQEJK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3Q626NKBA22B1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007M4SM2/ref=ord_cart_shr

what am i missing? and/or what should i replace something with? thanks!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back